London Gatwick (LGW) Airport
London Gatwick LGW Airport Overview
It may be noted that since 2010 Gatwick Airport is a stand-alone Airport - competing directly with London Heatthrow Airport! In this time period it has made considerable upgrades and now serves half of the global growth markets. Due to its runway expansion it is able to accommodate the A380, presently the largest aircaft.
LGW Airport is lonly 5 km north of the town of Crawley, in West Sussex, and is 46 km south of central London, England. It is accessible by a motorway spur road at junction 9A of M23, linking it to the main M23, 1.5 km east at junction 9, and connects with London's orbital motorway.
The Gatwick Airport Railway Station - recently refurbished - is adjacent to the South Terminal.
With two long runways and over 30 million passengers per year, London Gatwick Airport is served by a multitude of domestic & international, regular & low-cost, and charter airlines, offering direct and connecting flights to all parts of the world. Gatwick also is able to accommodate the Airbus A380. As Gatwick's passenger count is on a steady increase, so do the airline and destination choices available.
On-Airport Hotels: (For general Airport hotel information call 0871 360 2427.)
1. BLOC Gatwick Hotel - opened March 2014 with 245 rooms - is right next to the South Terminal's departure lounge. It is the answer to passengers needing to catch a 6am flight. Patrons may control from either smartphone or tablet: room temperature, blinds, lights, TV, & bill pay & checkout.
2. Hilton London (with business center) with covered walkway to South Terminal and only minutes from North Terminal.
3. Sofitel is directly connected to the North Terminal by covered walkway.
4. Courtyard by Marriott, a 5-minute walk from South Terminal (with conference facilities).
6. Hampton by Hilton, a three-star hotel, at North Terminal with covered walkway.
5. YOTEL with 46 cabins is inside the South Terminal, for hourly or overnight stay (tel. +44 (0)20 7100 1100.
London Gatwick Airport has a North & South Terminal.
Present and future Airport developments: As part of the 1.5B Brit.Pd investment, theNorth Terminal is to increase capacity from 3K to 4.3K passengers/hr, and its facilities are to match those of the South Terminal:
By summer 2015 the renovated Arrivals area will open with reconfigured Pier 5 and a state-of-the-art 2-level Pier 1 with new aircraft stands, gate rooms, lounge facilities & innovative baggage system.
By late 2015/early 2016 there will be a new check-in area, self-service baggage drop zone with up to 60 drop units - to open in two phases .
By 2016, a new security area is to process 5K passengers/hr.
By 2017, a world-class departure lounge with large retail space and World Duty free is to open.