London Gatwick (LGW) Airport
London Gatwick LGW Airport Overview
It may be noted that since 2010 Gatwick Airport is a stand-alone Airport - competing directly with London Heatthrow Airport! In this time period it has made considerable upgrades and now serves half of the global growth markets. Due to its runway expansion it is able to accommodate the A380, presently the largest aircaft.
LGW Airport is lonly 5 km north of the town of Crawley, in West Sussex, and is 46 km south of central London, England. It is accessible by a motorway spur road at junction 9A of M23, linking it to the main M23, 1.5 km east at junction 9, and connects with London's orbital motorway.
The Gatwick Airport Railway Station - recently refurbished - is adjacent to the South Terminal.
With one long runway and over 3 million passengers per year*, London Gatwick Airport is served by a multitude of domestic & international, regular & low-cost, and charter airlines, offering direct and connecting flights to all parts of the world. Gatwick also is able to accommodate the Airbus A380. As Gatwick's passenger count is on a steady increase, so do the airline and destination choices available.
* During the 12-month between Sept. 2015 & Aug. 2016 Gatwick Airport counted 42M passengers - a record for a sigle-runway airport!
NOTE: Visa requirements for travelers from India: As of Feb. 2015, tourists, travelers on business & other eligible visitors from India will now be able to visit both the UK and Ireland (North & South Ireland) - moving freely between the two countries on a single visa.
On-Airport Hotels (For general Airport hotel information call 0871 360 2427.)
- BLOC Gatwick Hotel is right next to the South Terminal's departure lounge. It is the answer to passengers needing to catch a 6am flight. Patrons may control from either smartphone or tablet: room temperature, blinds, lights, TV, & bill pay & checkout.
- Hilton London (with business center) with covered walkway to South Terminal and only minutes from North Terminal.
- Sofitel is directly connected to the North Terminal by covered walkway.
- Courtyard by Marriott, a 5-minute walk from South Terminal (with conference facilities).
- Hampton by Hilton, a three-star hotel, at North Terminal with covered walkway.
- YOTEL with 46 cabins is inside the South Terminal, for hourly or overnight stay (tel. +44 (0)20 7100 1100.
London Gatwick Airport has a North & South Terminal.
Present and future Airport developments: As part of the 1.5B Brit.Pd. investment, the North Terminal's construction has now been completed increasing capacity from 3K to 4.3K passengers/hr, and its facilities matching those of the South Terminal. An added $270M pledge was made July 2016 for the departure lounge expansions of North & South Terminals, as well as: upgrading retail facilities, expanding immigration halls, and adding aircraft parking stands. The Airport is to operate normally throughout the construction phase, which is scheduled for completion by second half of 2018.
(A second runway is in the planning stages.)