OverviewGetting to/from LGW Airport by train or bus - or transferring to either Heathrow, Stansted or Luton Airports:
- The North Terminal has a train station (passengers need to take the temporary shuttle bus to it).
- Pay-as-you-go Oyster and contactless card services: Rail passengers between the Airport and London's National Rail services may now use this card - available for Southern, Gatwick Express & Thameslink between Gatwick & London, and for Great Western between Gatwick & Redhill. The fare has been set at Br.Pd.14 for rush hour, or Br.Pd.8 for non-rush hours.
- Since Dec. 2015, National Express offers 24/7 service between the Airport & Kent, taking about an hour. Pickup & dropoff points include Canterbury, Catham, Gillingham, Maidstone, Margate, Boardstairs & Ramsgate.
- The 'Gatwick Gateway' Airport Station is under redevelopment. Its first phase has been completed: new Platform 7now expedites fast trains from both London Bridge and London Victoria to travel through the station.
- Time Frame: New trains are to deliver more seating, while rail capacity through Gatwick will double, and a train will depart the Airport for London every 3 minutes:
Since early 2016 the Gatwick Express trains to London Victoria will run every 3 mins.
By Spring 2016 the new Thameslink trains on the Brighton to Bedford line will be in service.
By 2018 Thameslink trains will also operate direct services to Peterborough & Cambridge.
By 2019 A train will run between LGW & central London every 2.5 minutes
By 2020 Rail rail capacity will have doubled, and trains into London leave every hour.
For National Rail information call +44 (0)845 746 4950 or contact: Gatwick Express at: www.gatwickexpress.com; for other trains www.nationalrail.co.uk; or National Express at : www.nationalexpress.com .
The Gatwick Express trains to London Victoria run every 15 mins and take half an hour.
First Capital Connect runs every 15 minutes to Brighton (via Mid-Sussex) and to Bedford via East Croydon, London Bridge, St. Pancras International and Luton.
'Southern' runs northbound trains to London Victoria via East Croydon & Clapham Junction, and to London Bridge via East Croydon. Its southbound service runs to Brighton, Eastbourne, Portsmouth & Southampton.
The Heathrow Express departs from Paddington every 15 mins and takes 15 minutes to Heathrow Central & 21 mins to Terminal 5, while Terminal 4 passengers should change at Heathrow Central.
- To get to the Croydon station, take the X26 Express bus.
- Travel between Victoria & Paddington stations can be done via bus, taxi or the Underground (District & Circle Lines).
National Express Coaches serve Heathrow Airport and nationwide.
Oxford Bus serves Oxford.
EasyBus minibuses from both terminals serve Earls Court / West Brompton.
Metrobus & Fastway, a guided bus rapid transit system, runs from both terminals to Crawley, Horley, Rdhill, Horsham, and on.
Airport to Airport Transfer: To transfer to either London Heathrow (75 mins), Stansted (3 hrs), or Luton (2.5 hrs), take the National Express, which offers a non-stop service between Gatwick & Heathrow, and some direct services to Stansted & Luton airports. Both North & South terminals have a ticket desk for National Express, or you can call +44(0)871 781 8181.