Wellington (WLG) Airport
Wellington WLG Airport Overview
Wellington International Airport WLG, which calls itself the 'Wild at Heart Airport', serves the North Island of New Zealand and the country's capital city Wellington.
The Airport is located in Rongotai, at the southern tip on the North Island, 7 km southeast of central Wellington, and accessible from the city by State Highway 1 via the Mount Victoria Tunnel on Calabar Road.
With a medium-sized runway and 5.5 million passengers in 2012, Wellington International is served at present by Air New Zealand, Qantas, Jetstar, Pacific Bue & some smaller airlines, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
Checking in at Wellington International Airport: All major airline check-in areas are on level 1 for both domestic & international flights. For Soundsair, Air West Coast & Air2There, all checkin procedures are done at gates 4 & 5. Air Chathams check-ins are done at the Air New Zealand check-in counter.
Wellington International has one passenger terminal.
Parking options at Wellington International:
1. Premium and Valet parking offers covered parking on the ground level closest to the terminal with added security.
2. The Terminal parking lot is adjacent to the passenger teminal and has 2 entries, one to the north and one to the south.
3. The Long-Term parking lot's entry is via Flight Drive at the southern end of he Airport, open 24/7 with free shuttle service.
Rental car desks for major agencies are located on the ground level, while the rental car lot is right next to the terminal.
To get from Wellington Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi (tel. (04) 384 4444 or open taxis.co.nz)., take a shuttle or a bus: (all fares are estimates and can change over time).
1. Taxis to the Railway Station average $30; to Seatoun $16, to Taw $5 & to Upper Hutt $90.
2. The Airport Flyer Express Bus departs from the southern end of the terminal's ground level (exit from baggage claim doors, turn right), serving the Hutt Valley, via city center, on to Queensgate & Lower & Upper Hutt. The bus runs daily every 15 mins up to Lower Hutt, and from there every hour to Upper Hutt.
3. Door-to-door shuttles are located outside of Arrivals: Note: you need to state, if you are traveling in a group, to be charged the 'additional passenger' rate. One single passenger fare to the Terrace averages $15, with $5 for each additional passenger.
Present and future Airport Developments: Extension of the Teminal by 35 meters to the south is presently in its planning stages and is to provide more lounge space, added amenities, and a fourth baggage carousel. Work is to be completed by 2015.
Wellington WLG Airport Update History
- WLG Airports - Oct 25, 2013
- WLG Food & Stores - Oct 17, 2013
- WLG Airport Intro - Jun 15, 2013
- WLG Main Terminals - Jun 15, 2013
- WLG Airlines Served - Jun 13, 2013