Amsterdam Schiphol Airport AMS
is The Netherland's premier Airport - serving its largest City Amsterdam and surrounding areas and functioning as an international tranfer Airport to the World. It considers itself to be a small city - not merely just an airport.
Schiphol was voted time and again by British business travelers as being the 'Best European Airport', and it ranks among the top three airports worldwide. It also has received a few awards for its innovative South Baggage Hall Two. And to top off its accolades, the Executive Travel Magazine just bestowed upon it the 'Leading Edge Award' as best international airport for quality, leadership, customer orientation & vision.
To contact the Airport within The Netherlands, call 0900-0141.
AMS Airport is located in the municipality of Haarlemmermeer - 9 km southwest of the capital city of Amsterdam. The A-4 motorway, at the Schiphol exit, will lead you via large 'Departures' or 'Arrivals' signs to the Airport complex.
With six long runways and 63.6 passengers in 2016, Amsterdam Schiphol Airport is served by numerous airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe and by charters.
- Passengers flying with BMIbaby, Flybe, EasyJet, Jet-2 or Air Berlin
most likely depart from Gates H or M - check your boarding pass. Once the flight info screens indicate 'boarding' (40 mins prior to departure), you can proceed to your gate. Note that the pier (Concourse) has no restaurants, bars or shops.
- Premium or Privium card holders
(flying Blue Platinum, Gold & Silver; SkyTeam Elite Plus/Elite & Business-Class; Business-Class & Premium of all other airlines & Primium): Use the new Premium passageay between carpark P2 and Corridor BS (when departing from Piers B & C) - open 6am-10pm - saving you considerable time!
Since Schiphol Airport considers itself a small city, it also has five on-site hotels:
- Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel
- a 5-star hotel with direct access to Arrival and Departure Halls;
- New Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
housing 433 rooms, 23 conference rooms, & ballroom opened in Dec. 2015 (tel: +31-20-710-4000 /fax 4080. A covered walkway connects it directly to the passenger terminal;
- Mercure Schiphol
- a 3-star hotel, is in Lounge 3;
- CitizenM Amsterdam Airport
- directly connected to airport terminals and train station;
- Yotel Schiphol
-perfect to freshen up and rest between flights - at Departure Lounge 2, near Pier D.
Schiphol Airport has one large passenger terminal with six 'piers' /concourses.
Present and future Airport developments: Ongoing preparatory work
for a new Terminal and Pier includes modification of drop-off road, expansion of parking facilities and demolition of the unused Cargo Center.
- Construction of a new terminal and pier: The new terminal
- to be located south Schiphol Plaza (next to the Control Tower) is to be connected to the current terminal, and is to accommodate 14M passengers annually. It will also provide a new flexible pier & additional gates for wide-bodied aircraft. Terminal completion is scheduled for 2023; Pier completion is set for 2019.
With the development of a new pier and terminal,
the infrastructure of access roads and parking facilities will need to be modified drastically.
To obtain improved accessibility, investments are made in the public transport hub, Schiphol Plaza and the Jan Dellaertplein - and include the renovation and expansion of the train & bus stations, a new parking garages and the expansion of the drop-off roads.
NOTE: The opening of the new Lelystad Airport - intended to relieve Schiphol Airport air traffic - has been postponed to 2018.