Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS) Airport
Amsterdam Schiphol AMS Airport Overview
Schiphol was voted 'Best European Airport in 2013 (the third year in a row) and ranks among the top three airports worldwide. It also has received a few awards for its innovative South Baggage Hall Two. And to top off its accolades, the Executive Travel Magazine just bestowed upon it the 'Leading Edge Award' as best international airport for quality, leadership, customer orientation & vision.
To contact the Airport within The Netherlands, call 0900-0141.
AMS Airport is located in the municipality of Haarlemmermeer - 9 km southwest of the capital city of Amsterdam. The A-4 motorway, at the Schiphol exit, will lead you via large 'Departures' or 'Arrivals' signs to the Airport complex.
With six long runways and an annual passenger count of 51M, Amsterdam Schiphol Airport is served by numerous airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe and by charters.
NOTE: 1. Passengers flying with BMIbaby, Flybe, EasyJet, Jet-2 or Air Berlin most likely depart from Gates H or M - check your boarding pass. Once the flight info screens indicate 'boarding' (40 mins prior to departure), you can proceed to your gate. Note that the pier (Concourse) has no restaurants, bars or shops.
2. Premium or Privium card holders (flying Blue Platinum, Gold & Silver; SkyTeam Elite Plus/Elite & Bus.Class; Bus.Class & Premium of all other airlines & Primium): Use the new Premium passageay between carpark P2 and Corridor BS (when departing from Piers B & C) - open 6am-10pm - saving you considerable time!
On-Airport Hotels: Since Schiphol Airport considers itself a small city, it also has four on-site hotels:
1. Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel - a 5-star hotel with direct access to Arrival and Departure Halls;
2. Yotel Schiphol -perfect to freshen up and rest between flights - at Departure Lounge 2, near Pier D..
3. CitizenM Amsterdam Airport - directly connected to airport terminals and train station.
4. Hilton Amsterdam - a 4-star hotel, is connected by a covered walkway. (By 2015 a new Hilton Hotel, will replace the current one, housing 433 rooms, with walkway to the passenger terminal.
5. Mercure Schophol Terminal - a 3-star hotel, is in Lounge 3.
Schiphol Airport has one large passenger terminal with six 'piers' /concourses.
Present and future Airport developments:
Part of Schiphol's current Phase 1 conversion & construction work includes a changeover to a central security system, as well as a new A-pier at south end of terminal.
(a) There will no longer be security checks at the gates - instead, three central security filters will serve the departure halls, and two will serve transfer passengers. If departing from Schiphol to a non-Schengen country, including the U.S. & U.K., passengers are being screened at the new central security check.
(b) Transfer passenges will be directed by a separate route to the central security check at the new GH building for transfer passengers.
(c) Screened and unscreened passengers will have separate routes at separate levels, some of which are being added, including the 'G-pier', and 25 gatehouses with stairways between gate & airplane.
(d) Departure Filter 1 is underway, located at Departure Hall 1 making it necessary to relocate some stores .
(e) Between 2015 and 2016: A new A-pier at the Main Terminal's south end is to serve 3M passengers per annum and is to accommodate 8 aircraft including space for wide-bodied planes.
(d) Departure Lounge 2 refurbishment will start in Fall 2014 and will be done over the new few years.
(e) An extra level will be added to each of Piers G, E & F, as well as 25 gate houses with stairways between gates & aircraft.
(f) Starting June 2015 Schiphol switches to Centralized security for more passenger comfort.
Evert v/d Beekstraat 202
- Website for Amsterdam Schiphol: http://www.schiphol.nl/index_en.html
- Contact: https://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/AboutSchiphol/Contact1/Contact.htm
- Phone: +31 20 794 0800