THE CITY OF AUCKLAND:
Auckland sprawls over a narrow isthmus between the sparkling waters of the Waitemata and Manukau Harbours. A cloak of rainforest covers the surrounding hills, dozens of dormant volcanic cones dot the landscape and enchanting holiday islands are scattered throughout the vast Hauraki Gulf. Two of the best island getaways are Waiheke Island and Great Barrier Island.
Auckland's heart beats to a Polynesian rhythm, its people--a melting pot of European, South Pacific and Asian cultures and a strong indigenous Maori heritage. This diversity brings with it an abundance of unique dining and shopping experiences.
Auckland's temperate climate, easy access to the coast and variety of activities earn the city consistent top five rankings in international lifestyle surveys. Discover for yourself why it is one of New Zealand's best destinations.
JUST SOME HIGHLIGHTS....Auckland has so much to see and do - there's plenty of entertainment for a few hours, a few days or a few weeks. Here's a taste of some of Auckland's unique activities:
Walk or ride to the summit of Rangitoto, the lava rock sleeping volcano in the middle of the Hauraki Gulf. Rangitoto emerged from the sea in a fiery explosion around 600 years ago and now is an iconic jewel in the Auckland harbor.
Island Escapes Auckland
Enjoy wine and olive tasting, lazing on the beach and art trails on laid back Waiheke Island, a 35 minute ferry ride from downtown Auckland. Or escape to the wilderness of Great Barrier Island, with bush tracks leading to natural hot springs and historic kauri tree dams.
On the water
Take a cruise on a chartered launch or classic yacht on the Waitemata Harbour. Or go racing on an America's Cup yacht, take a dolphin-spotting excursion or a gentle ferry ride to a seaside suburb.
Culture and heritage
Culture Heritage AucklandSee the biggest collection of Maori taonga (treasures) in the world at Auckland War Memorial Museum, plus see a performance of traditional Maori songs and dances. Learn about New Zealand's unique flora and fauna, and the European settlers who shaped its colonial heritage.
Jump off the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere – SkyJump is 192 meters of cable-controlled base jumping from the Sky Tower. Alternatively walk around the outside of the tower with SkyWalk, or just admire the view from the safety of the observation deck and restaurants.
Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter and Underwater World
Spend a day at Kelly Tarlton's and discover the unique sea life that lives in and around New Zealand's waters. Walk through an underwater glass tunnel, see real life King and Gentoo penguins or for the brave at heart, swim with stingrays and sharks!
Auckland Harbor Bridge
Spanning the Waitemata Harbour, the Auckland Harbor Bridge offers spectacular views of Auckland city and the islands of the gulf. To admire these views and get the heart racing, climb over the bridge or bungy jump off it!
Terminal Maps at Popular Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL terminal map
- Chicago OHare ORD terminal map
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW terminal map
- Los Angeles LAX terminal map
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS terminal map
- Denver DEN terminal map
- Houston Intercontinental IAH terminal map
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX terminal map
- Philadelphia PHL terminal map
- Charlotte Douglas CLT terminal map
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW terminal map
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP terminal map
- Newark Liberty EWR terminal map
- Washington Dulles IAD terminal map
- Boston Logan BOS terminal map
- Salt Lake City SLC terminal map
- La Guardia LGA terminal map
- New York Kennedy JFK terminal map
- Memphis MEM terminal map
- Miami MIA terminal map
- San Francisco SFO terminal map
- Orlando MCO terminal map
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG terminal map
- Seattle Tacoma SEA terminal map
- Honolulu HNL terminal map
- Baltimore Washington BWI terminal map
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC terminal map
- Chicago Midway MDW terminal map
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL terminal map
- Lambert St Louis STL terminal map
- Reagan National DCA terminal map
- Portland PDX terminal map
- Tampa TPA terminal map
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE terminal map
- Raleigh-Durham RDU terminal map
- Houston Hobby HOU terminal map
- Pittsburgh PIT terminal map
- San Diego SAN terminal map
- San Antonio SAT terminal map
- Nashville BNA terminal map