Baltimore/Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport BWI can serve the tri-State area of Washington D.C., Delaware & Maryland. It is one of the top ten easiest U.S. Airports to get to, with a light rail station right in the terminal. The name Thurgood Marshall was added to the airport name in honor of its native son, the late Supreme Court Judge Thurgood Marshall.
'Thrillist' (the food, drink & travel website, announced that BWI Marshall Airport ranked among the 'top 10 Most Surprisingly Great Airports in America' - including its offers for fitness, rest, relaxation, cultural enrichment and outdoor activities.
Located about 10 miles outside of the city of Baltimore in Maryland, BWI Airport is surrounded by highways I-695, 295, 100, I-97, and I-195 (directly into the terminal). Situated between the cities of Baltimore and Washington, D.C., it serves both metropolitan areas.
With three runways and over 22M passengers a year, Baltimore/Washington International is a hub for AirTran Airways and is served by a host of airlines offering flights throughout the U.S., the Caribbean islands, Canada, London & Frankfurt, with connections to all points of the globe.
- Both low-cost airlines Spirit & Allegiant have added many new flight destinations, some year-round and others seasonal.
- Spirit Airlines starts Nov. 10, 2016 its daily roundtrip service to both Tampa & Fort Myers.
- Southwest Airlines adds flights between Aug. & Nov. 2016 to: Denver, Seattle, Portland ME, New Orleans, Minneapolis and Boston.
- British Airline is now using its Dreamliner for its flights to London Heathrow Airport.
The passenger terminal at BWI Airport has Concourses A through E (A & B Concourses are connected).
Note that passengers on a longer layover may now be able to rent a bicycle for up to 12 hrs at $5 at the Light Rail station outside the terminal by Concourse E (or simply walk or jog) part or all of the 12.5 mile scenic outdoor trail encircling Airport property.
- A Mobile Passort Control is now avilable.
- Airport Contact: Tel. 410-859-7111 or 1-800-IFLYBWI
Present and future Airport developments: Ongoing airport improvements include:
- creation of a new security checkpoint serving both domestic & international passengers;
- creation of a secure connector between D & E Concourses with two more international gates - to be completed by 2016;
- Re-configuration of airline gates to support more international flights;
- Replacement of passenger boarding bridge.
The total project is to be completed by 2017.