Baltimore/Washington Thurgood Marshall International Airport BWI can serve the tri-State area of Washington D.C., Delaware & Maryland. It is one of the top ten easiest U.S. Airports to get to, with a light rail station right in the terminal. The name Thurgood Marshall was added to the airport name in honor of its native son, the late Supreme Court Judge Thurgood Marshall.
'Thrillist' (the food, drink & travel website, announced that BWI Marshall Airport ranked among the 'top 10 Most Surprisingly Great Airports in America' - including its offers for fitness, rest, relaxation, cultural enrichment and outdoor activities.
Located about 10 miles outside of the city of Baltimore in Maryland, BWI Airport is surrounded by highways I-695, 295, 100, I-97, and I-195 (directly into the terminal). Situated between the cities of Baltimore and Washington, D.C., it serves both metropolitan areas.
With three runways and 25.1M passengers in 2016, Baltimore/Washington International is served by a host of airlines offering flights throughout the U.S., the Caribbean islands, Canada, London & Frankfurt, with connections to all points of the globe.
- Spirit Airlines now offers flights to 18 destinations, including recently added daily roundtrip service to both Tampa & Fort Myers; and from May 25, 2017 to New Orleans, and seasonal flights to Oakland, San Diego & Seattle - starting May 25; while seasonal flights to San Francisco start October 2017.
- Southwest Airlines added flights between Aug. & Nov. 2016 to: Denver, Seattle, Portland ME, New Orleans, Minneapolis and Boston.
- British Airline is now using its Dreamliner for its flights to London Heathrow Airport.
- Allegian Air starts May 31, 2017 with 2 weekly flights to Destin /Fort Walton Beach Airport (Florida).
- Alaska Airlines started in March 2017 service with service to San Diego; and seasonal service by June 6, 2017 to Portland (OR)
The passenger terminal at BWI Airport has Concourses A through E (A & B Concourses are connected). (The Airmall added early 2017 a number of new food & drink venues).
- passengers on a longer layover may now be able to rent a bicycle for up to 12 hrs at $5 at the Light Rail station outside the terminal by Concourse E (or simply walk or jog) part or all of the 12.5 mile scenic outdoor trail encircling Airport property.
- A Mobile Passort Control is now avilable.
- Airport Contact: Tel. 410-859-7111 or 1-800-IFLYBWI
Present and future Airport developments: While creation of a secure connector between D & E Concourses with two more international gates was completed - ongoing airport improvements include:
- creation of a new security checkpoint serving both domestic & international passengers;
- Re-configuration of airline gates to support more international flights;
- Replacement of passenger boarding bridge.
The total project is to be completed by 2017.