George Best Belfast City Airport BHD
is a small airport serving the city of Belfast in Northern Ireland. It is known to be one of the most environmentally-conscious airports - taking its responsibility serious by regulating the four key factors (water, noise, air, and waste) in an effort to keep the surrounding countryside not only habitable, but also lovely.
BHD Airport is located 5 km from the city center of Belfast, and is next to the A2 motorway, Sydenham Bypass road, between the cities of Belfast and Holywood, on the southern shore of Belfast Lough. If approaching Belfast on either the M1 or M2, follow signs to Belfast City leading to the A2 via the M3.
With one runway and an estimated 2.5 million passengers a year, Belfast City Airport is served by a number of low-cost airlines offering direct flights to the British mainland, to Cork and the Isle of Man. Summer & winter charters are also hosted by BHD Airport.
NOTE: British Airways flights from both Belfast City & Dublin airports were moved to Heathrow Airport's Terminal 5.
The passenger terminal at Belfast City Airport
has a ground and first level:
The Ground Level
to the left of the main entrance houses conference facilities, check-in desks, WHSmith, ticket desks & security checkpoint; to the right are rental car desks, foreign exchange, Arrivals area & baby-change facilities. Stairway & escalator get you to the first floor.
The First Level
houses Flye & BMI business lounges, coffee shop, bar, Harvest Market, WHSmith & duty-free, internet kiosks, ATM machine & baby-changing facilities.
Other services and amenities
inside the terminal include food and drink establishments, as well as retail stores, rental cars, ATM cash machines, foreign exchange, unlimited free - - WiFi access and Information & Tourist desks.
- A fully-staffed Conference Suite is located on the first floor, for use by the local business community, as well as by the business traveler.
- The Fast Track Security channel has been upgraded to facilitate a hassle-free journey,
- The multi-faith prayer room is located to the right of the Arrivals doors in terminal & will be open for use at all times.
- The 'House of Ireland' store offers the finest Irish designer giftware.
- Rental car counters for major agencies are in the arrivals area of the passenger terminal; the rental car return lot is adjacent to the terminal.
Airport & Airline lounges:
- The new pay-in Aspire Lounge
at the departure gates can be booked at (http://) goo.gl.ckJDWB
- The new British Airways lounge
at airside, next to Door A, offers direct aircraft boarding.
NOTE: People with profound and multiple learning disabilities can now use the state-of-the-art 'Changing Places' toilet, fitted with height-adjustable changing bench, overhead hoist system & space either side of the toilet to allow support from caretakers. For more information open changing-places.org.