Berlin Schonefeld (SXF) Airport
Berlin Schonefeld SXF Airport Overview
Berlin-Schonefeld Airport SXF is an international airport, and is currently one of two Airports serving the greater Berlin area of Germany.
The Airport is located near the town of Schonefeld, Brandenburg district, Germany, and borders directly on the southern perimeter on the city of Berlin (a distance of 18 km from city center). It is accessible via access roads B179 Waltersdorf Chaussee and B96A Mittelstrasse, and is close to motorway A113 (connecting south of it to motorway 10/12). The Train station is within walking distance of the terminals, across from B179, and the train takes 0.5 hours into the city.
With presently only one long runway and an estimated 8.3 million passengers in 2012, Berlin-Schonefeld Airport is hub to EasyJet and Germanwings, and is served by domestic and international airlines offering direct & connecting flights to all parts of the globe.
NOTICE: While Schoenefeld Airport is still in operation until 2014, the new ‘Berlin-Brandenburg Willy Brandt International Airport’ (Airport code 'BER) located south of runway O7R/25L (later to become 'Northern Runway'), which is mostly completed, has been rescheduled to open in 2014, at which time both Tegel and Schoenefeld airports will cease operations. (The total figure for both Berlin Airports for 2012 reached over 25 million passengers. A much larger future passenger count is expected, once all commercial airlines will fully operate from the new Berlin-Brandenburg International Airport.
The present passenger terminal complex at Schonefeld International Airport consists of four small passenger terminals, A, B, C, & D. (For more information, please refer to 'Terminal Map' page.)
Parking options at Schonefeld International: You can book your parking space at the Airport online at reduced rate or call APCOA at 030 / 60 91 55 86.
1. Parking Lot P1 (about 150 meters from Terminals A/B or 300 meters from TD) can be reached by foot and has one entry & one exit with two pay machines.
2. Parking Garage P4 (about 150 meters from Terminals A/B, or 300 meters from TD) has two entrances and two exits with two pay machines on the ground level.
3. Parking Lot P6 (about 300 meters from Terminals A/B and directly adjacent to TD) has entries and exits diagonally opposite from 'Airport World BBI'. The exit has two pay machines and a third one is directly across from Terminal D's exit.
Rental car agencies Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz/ADAC, National/Alamo & Sixt are located in the pavilion in front of Terminal A.
To get from Schoenefeld Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi, or a train: NOTICE: Limited S-Bahn (express) train service to/from Schoenefeld Airport. Due to ongoing construction at the Ostkreuz train station, S-Bahn service into Berlin city center has been discontinued. Therefore take the RE7 or RB14 AirportExpress instead, which run every hour on their route to Ostbahnhof (East train station), Alexanderplatz, Friedrichstrasse, central station, Zoological Garden to Charlottenburg train station.
All destinations in the city center can be reached via these lines, with connections to the U-Bahn trains (subway).
S-Bahn S9 runs between the Airport and Treptower Park station, where there is a connection to lines S41 and S42 of the Berlin Ringbahn.
Line S45 is presently not available. For public transport network tickets for Berlin and the whole of Brandenburg (S-Bahn, day and group tickets).
The Airport Express will connect the Airport with central Berlin in half an hour. The underground ICE-enabled train station has 4 long-distance and 2 S-Bahn rails.
The four-lane Federal road B96a will connect major highway (Autobahn) A113 directly into the Airport.
Present & future Airport developments: In early March 2013 it was decided to make an investment of EU 10-20M in order to upgrade both Schoenefeld & Tegel Airports (the majority of upgrades are to be done at Tegel. Three areas of concern have been addressed: Infrastructure, Service & Personnel. 'Measures to address these issues will commence in the coming weeks'.
- Website for Berlin Schonefeld: http://www.berlin-airport.de/DE/index2.php
- Email Address: http://www.berlin-airport.de/EN/Dialog/Callcenter.html
- Phone: +49 1805 000186
Berlin Schonefeld SXF Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Berlin Schonefeld SXF Airport Update History
- Updated SXF Airports page - May 16, 2013
- Updated SXF Food & Stores page - May 16, 2013
- Updated SXF Airport Intro page - Mar 11, 2013
- Updated SXF Main Terminals page - Mar 11, 2013
- Updated SXF Direct Flights page - Feb 21, 2013