Cardiff (CWL) Airport
Cardiff CWL Airport Overview
Cardiff Airport CWL serves the city of Cardiff and its surrounding areas in Wales, U.K.
The Airport is located close to Rhoose, in Vale of Glamorgan, is 12 miles west of Cardiff, and 10 miles from junction 33 (Cardiff West), on the M4 motorway. From Junction 33 take the A4232 towards Central Cardiff, exiting at Culverhouse Cross, then follow A4050 to Barry and the A4226 toward Llantwit Major.
With one runway and an estimated 1.2 million passengers in 2011, Cardiff Airport is served by many scheduled domestic and international airlines, and by charter tour operators, offering offering direct and connecting flights to all parts of the globe.
NOTE: Aer Lingus has now mutiple daily flights to Dublin, where passengers can connect with transatlantic flights and clear US immigration, offering them a shorter trip in comparison to London or Bristol airports. Aer Arann also offers flights to Dublin for the summer season 2013.
The passenger terminal at Cardiff Airport recently completed its renovation project. Its ePassport Gates at Border Control can be used by arriving passengers holding a chipped passport. Public announcements are now automated.
Internet kiosks (2 in check-in hall with printing facilities, one in the food hall on level 1, and 4 in the departure lounge) charge 1pence/minute (printing charges are extra).
Passengers will be able to check in online & print their travel documents at internet kiosks with A4 laser printers & Skype phone service, which also includes a free phone battery charger. There is also a BT Openzone internet available by subscription.
Amenities and services inside the passenger terminal include a cash machine on level 1; banking & currency exchange by Change Group Bureau de Change (tel. 01446 719728) located on level 1, departures lounge and in the baggage claim hall, offering major currencies.
Two meeting rooms with optional features are available by contacting tel 01 446 711111 or email (info at cwl.aero).
The Executive Lounge is open daily 5am-9pm (Saturdays Nov-Apr 5am-5pm).
Other amenities include a children's play center; baby care rooms (baby food & facilities to warm it are in the Food Village and in the departure lounge); Techniquest science exhibit in the departure lounge; video arcade machines on level 1's departure lounge; lost & found, food & drink establishments, shops, a mail box outside the terminal; stamps at WH Smith; The Tourist Information Center is in the Arrivals Hall.
Parking options at Cardiff Airport are available in the Short- and Long-Stay carparks.
The Short-stay carpark is within walking distance of the teminal, to be used for stays up to 4 days.
The Long-Stay carpark is served by a free shuttle bus 24/7.
A fast-track lane is available for picking up passengers.
To get from Cardiff Airport to your destination you can rent a car, take a taxi, a bus or a train: Public transport links include regular bus and train services.
The nearest railway station is the Rhoose Cardiff International Airport railway station on the Vale of Glamorgan Line. A free shuttle bus gets you to the train stop from the depatures terminal (a 5-minute ride). Arrival Trains Wales provides regular services to Cardiff Central Station & Bridgend, connecting it to the South Wales Main Line.
Cardiff Bus, EST Bus & Veolia Transport Cymr bus serve the Airport with regular shuttle services to Cardiff central bus station and the Vale of Glamorgan.
Cardiff CWL Services
Terminal Maps and Services
- CWL Baggage Claim
- CWL Currency Exchange
- CWL Guest Services
- CWL Internet Access
- CWL Lost & Found
- CWL Pets / Animals
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Cardiff CWL Airport Update History
- Updated CWL Airport Intro page - Mar 19, 2013
- Updated CWL Airports page - Mar 19, 2013
- Updated CWL Parking On site page - Jan 29, 2013
- Updated CWL Direct Flights page - Jan 18, 2013