While tourists flock to the spectacular scenery of Sichuan (including UNESCO-dedicated World Natural and Cultural Heritage sites) - Chengdu City is also host to 271 Fortune 500 companies, creating a growing number of domestic & overseas business flights.
CSIA is located 16 km southwest of downtown Chengdu, situated in the central part of Shuanxi Plain, north of Shuangliu County, and is accessible to downtown Chengdu by an expressway.
With two long runways (a third under construction) and j over 46 million passengers in 2016, Chengdu Shuangliu Airport is a hub for Air China, Sichuan & Chengdu airlines, and hosts a large number of domestic and international airlines.
- United Airlines offers flights between Francisco SFO Airport and CSIA.
- Hainan Airlines offers direct flights between Los Angeles LAX and CSIA
Hotels at CTU Airport:
- The Chengdu Airport Hotel (tel. 8628) 9520 8888 /fax 8886) opposite of Terminal 1 offers 296 rooms & suites; a Skyline lounge open 24/7 on level 10, the 'Yi' Conference Center on level 2 with 4 conference rooms; and restaurants & fine dining, swimming pool, tennis court, fitness center & beauty salon.
- The new on-Airport Chengdu Airport Express Hotel - a 4-star hotel - (tel. 0086-28-85208899; fax 008-28-85205560) is east of Terminal 2 with 210 rooms, as well as meeting rooms, business center and adjacent parking spaces.
- (Close-by and cheaper hotels: Aishang Hotel 2.7km, and Ling Gang Apartments 3.1km outside of the Airport. )
- Travelers needing to catch a 6am flight out of Chengdu Airport will need to take a taxi - as currently buses only arrive at 6:30am (overnight sleep in terminals is not permitted).
- Domestic flights will close their check-in facilities 45 minutes prior to departure.
- China has granted a 72-hour 'visa-free transit' for nationals of over 50 countries, including the U.S.
Chengdu International Airport has two passenger terminals -T1 & T2. Its telephone hotline is 0086-28-85205555 and 0086-28-85205333.
Future Airport Developments: A new 'Chengdu Tianfu Internantional Airport' is to become the second airport of Greater Chendu - located in the town of Lujia, Jianyang city - a 51.5km distance from central Chengdu. Ongoing Phase 1 construction of the passenger terminal (in the shape of a 'Sun Bird') is to be completed by 2018, reaching a capacity of 40M passengers per year- to be completed by 2020 - when it is to be nearly twice the size of current Chengdu's Shuangliu terminal. Upon completion of Tianfu's three runways, it is to become China's second-largest airport.
A light rail train and new highway are to connect both airports.