Chennai Madras (MAA) Airport
Chennai Madras MAA Airport Overview
Chennai Madras International Airport MAA is presently India's third-busiest airports, serving the greater Chennai/Madras metropolitan area in the State of Tamil Nadu, southeast India. The Airport is owned by the Government of India and is operated by Airports Authority of India..
Chennai Airport is located on Grand Southern Trunk Road (National Hwy 45), in the town of Tirusulam, and is only 7 km south of the city of Chennai (formerly known as Madras), in the State of Tamil Nadu.
With two long runways and an estimated 12 Million passengers in 2011, Chennai Airport is hub to Air India, Blue Dart Aviation, Jet Aways & Spicejet, and is served by domestic and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
(After completion of the much-needed terminal expansion work in March 2012, and building a new terminal, the overall passenger traffic is expected to double, as well as its aircraft movements.)
The new Chennai Airport's passenger terminal complex now encompasses an expanded & upgraded international terminal (Anna Terminal), and a brand-new domestic terminal (Kamarash Terminal), able to handle 10 million passengers a year, with 14 check-in and 60 immigration counters, while an elevated travelator will connect international & domestic terminals, which are 1 kilometer apart - but are all now under one roof. Gradually amenities & services will be added to the new terminal.
Amenities and services at both domestic & international terminals: Aside from food & drink, retail & duty-free shops, you find banking facilities, conference rooms, lounges, medical & health scan facilities, free trolleys, vending machines, tourist and railway information counters, a City coach center, and special ADA assistance. Day rooms & dormitory-style accommodations are available for transit passengers.
Airline lounges: Air India has its lounge in the international terminal (showers available);
Jet Airways has 2 lounges in the domestic terminal - the Taj Flight of Fancy and JetAirways Premiere; and 2 lounges in the international terminal - the Clipper Lounge and royal Lounge.
Parking options at Chennai Airport: Parking (including reserved parking) is available across from the terminal complex..
Rental car counters are in the Arrivals area of both terminals.
To get from Chennai Airport to your destination, you have the choice of renting a car, taking a taxi or similar modes of transportation, a bus or a train. Taxi fares are government-fixed; prepaid taxis (at counters in both terminals) are available 24/7.
The Airport station connecting to the suburban railway network is 'Tirusulam'.
In the future (2013/14), the Metro Rail system will connect the airport with other Chennai locations and thereafter the Tirusulam surburban trains will merge with the Metro to the Airport.
Present and future Airport developments: With the recent opening of new domestic & international terminals, yearly passenger capacity is expected to double within a year.
Many other changes are still to be made, including adding a new runway.
Chennai Madras MAA Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Chennai Madras MAA Airport Update History
- Updated MAA Airport Intro page - May 3, 2013
- Updated MAA Airports page - May 3, 2013
- Updated MAA Direct Flights page - Mar 25, 2013