Christchurch International (CHC) Airport
Christchurch International CHC Airport Overview
Christchurch International Airport CHC is New Zealand's second-largest airport and has recently received from Skytrax a number 2 ranking for Staff Excellence and number 3 for Best Regional Airport within the Australia/Pacific reagion. It is also gateway to the Antarctic and to New Zealand's spectacularly beautiful South Island.
Tourists will find that South Islands has everything to offer for either the adventurous or the quiet nature seekers, offering Jet boating in the Canterbury and Otago rivers, white water rafting, bungy jumping, back-country safary on a 4WD, mountain and coastal biking, helicopter-skiing or cave exploring, as well as hiking, biking, skiing, golfing, swimming - you name it - it has it! (The Tavel & Information Center can be reached at +64 (3) 353-7774.)
The Airport is located in the suburb of Harewood, 12 km northwest of the city center of Christchurch, accessible via Highway 1 and situated on the east coast, at Pegasus Bay.
With two runways and an estimated 5.6 passengers in 2012, Christchurch International is hub to Pacific Blue airline and is served by a number of domestic and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
The new integrated passenger terminal at Christchurch International Airport has officially opened in April 2013.
Parking options at Christchurch International: (Details are in the parking section.)
Rental car counters for major rental agencies are located in the Arrivals area of the International & Domestic terminals, while Campervan rentals are in either one of them. The rental car pickup/return lot is only steps from the terminal.
To get from Christchurch Airport to your destination you can rent a car, take a taxi, a bus or shuttle service:
1. City buses arrive/depart from the international coach park, locted at the end of the International Arrivals Hall. (a) Bus 3 to Sumner makes stops at the city, Avonhead & Riccarton, while (b) Bus 1 runs via Merivale and Bus 29 via Fendalton. For more MetroBus information call 03 366 8855 or visit metroinfo.co.nz.
2. Regional bus & shuttle by Newmans Coachlines (03 365 1114) & GreatSights 0800 744 487 offer routes to Queenstown).
3. For transportation information you c also visit the Regional Transport Hub at the northern end of the International Arrivals Hall, situated between the Terminal and the long-term parking lot.
Christchurch International CHC Airport Update History
- CHC Airports - Oct 25, 2013
- CHC Airlines Served - Jun 21, 2013
- CHC Airport Intro - Jun 15, 2013
- CHC Main Terminals - Jun 15, 2013
- CHC Parking On site - Jun 15, 2013