Dakar Sedar Senghor (DKR) Airport
Dakar Sedar Senghor DKR Airport Overview
DKR Airport is accessible by motorway N1 north (exit 'Route de l'Aeroport'), and by taking the west exit of Route de l'Aeroport.
With two runways and yearly about 1.6 million passengers, Dakar Senghor Airport is served by a large number of African, Middle East, and some European airlines. The Airport also serves as connecting airport to the Canary Islands.
The on-Airport Hotel Sogepres (tel. 820-60-60) is right in side the passenger terminal's level 1, with 15 air-conditioned rooms.
There are also several hotels (not up to Western standard) within a five-minute taxi ride from the main airport gate.
The current Dakar Senghor Airport has one passenger terminal - to be replaced by a new Airport by Dec. 2016*). It offers a tourist help desk, a bank branch, currency exchange, ATM machine, a business center, post office, rental car desks, food & drink, and duty-free shop, 'Le Salon Prestige' lounge, a pay-in lounge, free carts, & porters in Sogerpres uniform). After immigration and security checks, there is a waiting area with four airline gates; a snack bar sells sandwiches and drinks (open until late evening), some duty free shops, and two small shops in the back with local handicrafts.
Note, that even though facilities at the airport are better than in most West African airports, common sense and caution is strongly advised.
* The new Dakar Blaise Diagne International Airport DKR - located 45 km southeast of Dakar city center (located within the administrative region of Thies, at N'Diass village).- was scheduled to open its first phase in December 2016 with a capacity of 3M passengers annually. (However, as of Dec. 21, no news are to be found regarding the upcoming opening.)
2016, after completion of its first phase of development with a capacity of 3M passengers annnually, 6 passenger air bridges and an apron accommodating 26 commercial aircraft - it is intended to replace the old Sendar Senghor Airport (but keeping its airport Code DKR). Blaise Diagne International Airport (BDIA) - covers an area of 4,000 hectars, with a 3,500 meter-long runway, and a new passenger terminal. Planned destinations are within Africa, Europe, Asia & the Americas. Gradually, further extension of the terminal is to reach the 5M passenger capacity mark.
On opening day it is expected that:
- BDIA will be owned with 45/55 percent shares between the State of Senegal and a Senegalese investment corsortium.
- Lima & Summa companies will jointly to become the new Airport operators for the next 25 years.
- Both the Dakar-Diamaniadio-AIDB highway and its new extension will have been completed.
Expected to be completed soon or at a later point:
- a new motorway,
- The new Diamaniadio city development (within short distance of BDIA) with a new Conference Center, and housing technology-related companies, a technical school and more.
- The new Regional Express Train between Dakar and BDIA is currently under construction, to be completed by 2018.
- Website for Dakar Sedar Senghor: http://www.aeroport-dakar.com/
- Phone: 221 33 820 0780