Dar-es-Salaam Julius Nyerere (DAR) Airport
DAR AIRPORT & FLIGHT STATUS
Dar-es-Salaam Julius Nyerere DAR Airport Overview
Dar es Salaam Julius Nyerere International Airport DAR (or simply JNIA Airport), is Tanzania's largest, and one of East Africa's dominant airports, administered by the Tanzania Airports Authority (TAA).
The Airport is located in Kibaha, off Pugu Road, and accessible via motorways B2 & A7 (A-14 connects to A7). It is 13 km from the capital city of Dar es Salaam, the largest city on Tanzania, which is situated on the shores of the Indian Ocean.
With two runways and an estimated 1.8 million passengers in 2011, Julius Nyerere International is hub to Air Tanzania and is served by a number of national and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
NOTE: Allow extra time to get to the Airport, particularly during morning and evening rush hours, as the traffic is quite considerable.
A refurbished & airconditioned Transit Motel is only a 5-minute drive from the Airport (tel. +255 022 2842177).
Julius Nyerere International Airport has two passenger terminals - T1 & T2. While Terminal 1 is for general aviation & charter flights, Terminal 2 is for all other flights. Terminal 2 has a public concourse, domestic departures & arrivals lounges, and international departures & arrivals lounges.
Services and amenities in both terminals: Most airlines operating at JNIA have offices on the first floor, at the airline wing of Terminal 2. The International Departure Lounge has a number of shops, including duty-free shops and a cafeteria; while Domestic Departures lounge offers only one shop and a coffee bar. A full-service bank, ATMs and foreign exchange service are in the public concourse of Terminal Two; foreign exchange is also available in Terminal One.
The Airport is a smoke-free airport, an exception in many African and Asian airports.
A five-minute loading period is allowed at the Terminal's curb, but cars cannot be left unattended.
Parking options at Julius Nyerere International: Free parking is available at Terminal One and at the Freight Terminal, while Terminal Two offers short-term parking to be paid in cash.
To get from Dar es Salaam Nyerere Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi, a bus or a train:
1.Tanzania Rent-a-Car and Avis are located in the terminal, while most other rental car agencies do business in the City.
2. The estimated taxi fare into the City is $33. Taxis charge by location, traffic conditions and time of day, as well as distance. It is advisable to confirm the fare with the driver before stepping into the taxi.
3. An inter-modal transportation network takes you within 15-minutes to Tazara, and within 30 minutes to the TRC railway network, as well as to the harbor.
4. The public bus stop is a five-minute walk from the terminal and buses run every 15 minutes to the city center along the Nyerere Road.
Further information regarding transportation in and around Dar es Salaam is available at the Information Desk on the public concourse of Terminal 2.
PO Box 18032
Dar es Salaam
Tanzania, United Republic of
- Website for Dar-es-Salaam Julius Nyerere: http://www.taa.go.tz/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1
- Email Address: http://www.taa.go.tz/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=69
- Phone: +255 22 284 2402
Dar-es-Salaam Julius Nyerere DAR Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Dar-es-Salaam Julius Nyerere DAR Airport Update History
- Updated DAR Airports page - Feb 23, 2013
- Updated DAR Direct Flights page - Feb 23, 2013
- Updated DAR Airport Intro page - Feb 4, 2013
- Updated DAR Main Terminals page - Feb 4, 2013
- Updated DAR Official Website Links page - Jan 21, 2013