Dortmund (DTM) Airport
Dortmund DTM Airport Overview
Dortmund Airport DTM is an international airport (the number 21 in the Airport name refers to its major shareholder DSW21). It serves the densely populated eastern Ruhr industrial area and the city of Dortmund, Germany.
The Airport is located near the town of Holzwickede, at the eastern edge of the Ruhr Area, 10 km east of the city of Dortmund, Germany, and accessible by A-40 (B1) and A-44 (‘Ruhrschnellweg’) motorways.
With a runway being extended by 2,800 meters, and an estimated 1.7 million passengers in 2012, the Airport is served by many domestic and foreign airlines offering direct and connecting flights throughout Europe and beyond. Seasonal charter flights are available to popular vacation destinations.
NOTE: Each piece of luggage must show an address. Unmarked luggage will not be accepted on flights.
The passenger terminal at Dortmund Airport consists of three levels (Level 0 – Arrivals, Level 1 – Departures; & Level 2 – Mezzanine). Aside from internet access, the following amenities can be found on each level:
Level 0 is the the Arrivals level with Customs; ATM / cash machine, Lost & Found; outside bus pick-up/drop off point; luggage trolleys; ‘Pay & Display Parking’; rental car desks & after-hours key return lockers ; and PRM disabled service station;
Level 1 is the the Departures Level with Federal Police; ATM cash machine, Information and VIG check-in; ‘Kiss & Fly Zone’ luggage trolleys; security check; check-in & ticket counters; and food & drink and retail concessions. After security check in the center, you have access to to the right to gates 6a through 12, and to the left to gates 6 through 0.
Outside of Level 1 is the bus stop for C41 & 440 and the bus stop for the Airport Express to Dortmund & and Airport Shuttle to Holzwickede station. The parking shuttle bus also stops in front of the Departure level (fee-base).
Level 2 is the the Mezzanine Level with Conference Room 1, Visitors’ Terrace; Travel Market, and a full-service restaurant.
For pick-up/drop-off purposes, use ‘Kiss & Fy’ outside the Terminal, Level 1, Departures.
Parking options at Dortmund Airport are available in carparks P1 through P7.
1. P1 is an underground car park with 1,100 spaces on 3 basement levels and the first 10 minutes of parking are free. It also contains special parking areas for women on all levels, close to the terminal entrances.
2. P2 is a multi-storey car park with 900 spaces;
3. P3 parking lot is presently closed
4. P4 is a multi-storey car park located to the left of the Terminal;
5. P5 is a multi-storey car park with 300 spaces, adjacent to P4;
6. P6 is a parking lot next to P5 with 1,550 parking spaces; and
7. P7 is a parking lot with the longest distance to the Terminal - is presently closed.
P6 and P7 are economy lots with identical low fees. All multi-storey car parks have a vehicle clearance of 2 meters in height.
To get from Dortmund Airport to your destination, you have the option of renting a car, taking a taxi, a bus or a bus to the subway station:
(a) Taxis are available at the taxi stand in front of the passenger terminal; or you can call T&K taxi at 0231/85 44 44
(b) Buses: 1. The Airport Express bus to Dortmund’s main train station starts at 4:30 am & runs every hour thereafter (except instead of 9:30 at 10am), with reduced weekend/Holiday service, takes 22 minutes and costs 6 EUR – tickets only onboard the bus available.
2. The AirportShuttle to Holzwickede train station runs daily 4:55am-10:49pm, three times an hour, takes only 5 minutes and costs 1.5 EUR – tickets only on board the bus available.
3. The C-41 Bus to Unna train station makes 14 stops, takes 29 minutes and runs Mon-Fri 5am-10pm, every hour (for 7pm-10pm departures a telephonic request must be made at least 30 minutes before at tel. 01803/504031.
4. (a) Line 440 is a local bus making many stops between the Airport and Germania – taking 70 minutes and starting Mon-Fri 4:52am and thereafter three times an hour until 6:52pm, and at 7:12 and 7:32 pm. Some weekend departures continue as Line 470 towards Lutgendortmund.
(b) Line 440 – evening service to Lutgendortmund – takes 67 minutes and starts daily at 8pm, with 2 hourly departures each at 8, 9 and 10pm and last departure at 11:02pm.
(c) You can also connect with 440 Bus at the Aplerbeck stop to the U47 subway
Dortmund DTM Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Dortmund DTM Airport Update History
- Updated DTM Airports page - May 3, 2013
- Updated DTM Food & Stores page - May 3, 2013
- Updated DTM Airport Intro page - Mar 17, 2013
- Updated DTM Direct Flights page - Feb 25, 2013
- Updated DTM Parking On site page - Jan 31, 2013