Comalapa El Salvador (SAL) Airport
Comalapa El Salvador SAL Airport Overview
The Airport is located near Comalapa, on the central Pacific coast of El Tamarindo, La Union, and less than 50 km from the capital city of San Salvador. From San Salvador, the Airport and can be reached via an excellent road system within 45 minutes by motorway 2, taking the exit to RN 5 south. The Costa del Sol beach is only 20 mins from the Airport.
With two runways and yearly about 2.1 million passengers, El Salvador Airport is a hub for TACA Airlines and is served by a number of international Airlines (including American, Delta & United) offering direct and connecting flights to Central, South and North American cities.
1. All passengers traveling to the U.S. are being screened prior to entering the departure waiting area by officers with official badges of the Salvadorean drug enforcement agency.
2. The U.S. Embassy in San Salvador is located on Final Blvd. Santa Elena Sur (tel. 011-503-2501-2999 8:15am-11:30am weekdays or call 011-503-2501-2316 / 2253).
3. The departure fee of $37.13 must be paid in cash; a tourist card (if you need one on arrival) costs $10 in cash.
Passenger feedback has been very positive, with several of them pointing to the staff's excellent and cheerful service and on the terminal's efficient check-in, security, Immigration & Customs procedures. One passenger remarks on the wide choice of stores in the gate areas, and another is raving about the Tapacun Specialty Coffee House (which also sells its coffee beans).
The present passenger terminal at El Salvador Comalapa Airport is divided into an Upper and a Lower Level. The Lower Level has gates 1-9 and is for all airlines, other than TACA; the Uper Level has gates 10-17 and is for TACA Airlines, TACA Peru & TACA Regional. NOTE that the terminal is undergoing renovation & extension work until late 2014, considerable changes, including a Terminal 2 extension. (see below).
Amenities & services in the terminal include duty-free shops carrying high-quality merchandise, such as clothing, perfumes, liquor, tobacco, etc., as well as a variety of local artisan shops, fast-food & a full-service restaurant with domestic & international fare, rental car and hotel desks (the Quality Hotel is only 5 minutes from the Airport); and banking/ATMs.
Parking is available in the Short- and long-term carparks next to the passenger terminals.
To get from El Salvador Airport to your destination you can rent a car, take a taxi, or one of the many hotel shuttles.
Present &Future Airport Developments: The terminal is completing its transformation project and is able to offer better service & quality - and 'a better future for the country'.
Carretera Comalapa Km. 42
San Luis Talpa, 2667
- Website for Comalapa El Salvador: http://www.cepa.gob.sv/aies/contenido.php?cont=55&id=66
- Contact: http://www.cepa.gob.sv/contacto.php
- Phone: (503) 2366 9455