Faro is a city in the Faro District of the Algarve region & is the southernmost city of continental Portugal. It is the seat of the Faro District and capital of the Algarve region. (Both Algarve & Faro district cover the same territory.)
The toll-free number for the Airport information service is 800 201 201.
FAO Airport is located 7 km west of Faro, and near Monte Negro, and can be accessed from A22 ‘Via do Infante’, N 125-10, or Routes IC-1, N2, N120 & N122.
With 3.1 million passengers in 2016, Faro Airport is Portugal’s second international airport, hub to Ryanair, and served by a multitude of domestic and international, regular and low-cost airlines offering direct flights to a host of European cities and the Azores Islands, with connections around the globe, as well as by seasonal charters.
NOTE: Minimum check-in times for the following flights: inside Schengen zone 90 minutes; non-Schengen inside Europe 2 hours; intercontinental destinations 3 hours.
Self-service check-in kiosks save time!
The ground level is divided into a public area which houses:
- in the center the meeting point, & Information counter,
- at its west side is the Arrivals area with rental car counters, food & drink, a bank, currency exchange, Immigration, Customs & Police; beyond Customs are the baggage carousels; and
- at its east side is the Departures area with check-in counters and security & passport control
After security check you find food & drink, retail concessions, and direct access to the three gate areas of the departure level: in the Center: Schengen gates C11-C20 & non-Schengen gates D11-020; at right: Schengen gates C1-10; at left: No-Schengen gates D21-30.
Separate boarding gates A & B are reached by escalator: Schengen gates A51-56 and Non-Schengen gates B51-56
A Mezzanine level houses in the secured area Globel Blue & Police, a smoking lounge and a restaurant.
Recent Terminal Improvements:
- The commercial area was expanded, offering a better range of products & brands. The central food court now houses all catering outlets in one place.
-The new security control & screening area with 10 new X-ray scanners is now able to process 3,000 passengers an hour. More boarding pass scanners, and 16 more check-in desks were added.
- The departure hall has been reconfigured, with wider passageways and expanded waiting areas.
- Terminal accesses have been improved by offering 'Kiss & Fly' with t minutes of free parking.
*Current and future Airport developments: Construction started October 2015 on the Terminal Expansion (from current 874,000 to over one million sq.feet) and include: Makeover & expansion of retail area, increasing security, modernizing of terminal & creating more operating & public areas - as well as changes at road network, carparks, lighting, walkways & landscraping - whereupon the Airport is to be able to handle over 3,000 passengers a day.
Current status: By March 2017, the aircraft landings increased, while a new security area opened - to follow by a new check-in area at the terminal's north side, while remaining areas will open progressively, and the entire project should be completed by July 2017.
Phone: +351 289 800 800