Gary Chicago GYY Airport Overview
Gary /Chicago International Airport GYY considers itself a Chicago's 'Third Airport' and serves Lake Country , Indiana, as well as the greater Chicago metropolitan area.
GYY Airport is located 3 miles northwest of the central business district of the city of Gary, and 25 miles southeast of the Chicago Loop, and is accessible from nearby Interstate Hwy I-90 - with connections to I-80, I-94 & I-65, as well as to the Chicago Skyway.
With over 22k passengers a year, Gary Airport is currently served by Allegiant Air - however, with the expansion of the runway, more airlines are expected to serve GYY. Charters also serve the airport.
The passenger terminal at Gary Chicago Airport offers upgraded and expanded passenger facilities, three gates, new ticket counters, a concession area, an automated baggage retrieval, ATM & vending machines, is handicap accessible, and has a newly expanded ground vehicle access. On-site rental cars are avilable from Enterprise & Hertz.
Parking is available in over 1,200 secure parking spaces close to the passenger terminal, with the first 15 mins. free and $7/day. .
To get from Gary Chicago International Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, takea taxi, a limo, a shuttle or the bus or train:
The Gary Public Transportation bus can be contacted at 219-884-6100; the South Shore Railroad (800-884-6100) leaves the Clark Road Station (1.5 miles SE of the Airport) for Chicato and South Bend.
Present & Future Airport Developments:
1. The railroad relocation & runway 12-30 expansion from 7,000 feet to 8,900 feet is to be completed by 2013.
2. The Cline Avenue Bridge is being rebuilt and a separate Airport entrance off the Toll Road is under consideration.
3. More amenities and improvements are made to the passenger terminal.
4. As O'Hare, Midway & Gary are tied together in a unique structure, they will be able to offer regional residents more efficient travel with lower costs and increasing choices of destinations.
Gary Chicago GYY Airport Update History
- GYY Airports - Oct 27, 2013
- GYY Airport Intro - Oct 18, 2013
- GYY Airlines Served - Jul 3, 2013