Guadaloupe - Pole Caraibes (PTP) Airport
Guadaloupe - Pole Caraibes PTP Airport Overview
Pointe a Pitre Airport is the gateway to Gosier Guadeloupe and the beaches along the southern coast of Grande-Terre. you can drive on excellent roads from Pointe-a-Pitre Guadeloupe all over the island and explore Basse-Terre across the Salee River. Boats can also take you to the islands of Les Saintes and Marie Galante.
PTP Airport is located in the town of Abymes, 2.4 km northeast of Point-a-Pitre - the region's largest city, on Grand Terre.
Guadaloupe Airport is hub to Air Caraibes and Air Antilles Express, and it is the largest of the six airports located within the boundaries of the archipelago.
Bicycle rentals cost around $13/day.
With very long runway and nearly 2 million passengers ia year, and a runway accommodating larger aircraft, Pointe-a-Pitre International is served by a number of national and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe. Frequent air service between other French-Caribbean Islands is also available.
The Norwegian Air Shuttle - a low-cost airline - currently offers flights from/to New York's JFK & Baltimore/Washington 's BWI
The Airport now has two passenger terminals - T1 & T2: 'Duty-Free Magazine' states that 'PTP is modern, well-maintained, well-run, bright and airy with a sensational duty free shop specializing in the 'rhums' of Guadeloupe.
The 3-level Terminal 1 serves all flights other than regional carriers.
- Level 0 is the Arrivals level with baggage claim;
- Level 1 has airline offices, a VIP lounge, UM, & restaurants /bar;
- Level 2 is check-in level with check-in desks , shops, restaurant/bar, duty-free shops and access to gates A1-A8.
Regional Terminal 2 - opened in 2014 - only serves regional flights. The main terminal houses:
- a long covered connector to one of the air carriers, and
- on each side of this connector are escalators & moving walkways - separating A (departures) from B (arrivals) along the palmtree-lined area leading to/from the circle-shaped center (with benches) and surrounding walkway, and its 5 shorter walkways separately to/from the five gate areas 11-12, 14-15, 16A-16B, 17-18 & 19-20.
Current and future Airport developments: In Spring 2016 the Airport issued tenders for nine Lots for the upcoming terminal enhancements projects (some or all may have meanwhile been put into service) - including:
- operating duty free stores at T1 & T2 Departures and an outlet for Surf Shop, Fashion & Perfumes & Cosmetics at T1 Arrivals;
- operating a tobacconist, bookstore, CD and convenience store in T1 & a mobile kiosk in T2; and a souvenirs and jewellery shop in T1.
- operating three more banking services;
- Adding: Sandwich bars in T1& T2; a Foodstore in T1 Arrivals; a tropical flowers outlet in T1; baggage wrapping & related services at T1 & T2; and concierge and related services.
Pole Caraibes, Morne Mamiel
Abymes, Grand Terre, Guadeloupe
- Website for Guadaloupe - Pole Caraibes: http://www.guadeloupe.aeroport.fr/