Heraklion Kazantzakis (HER) Airport
Heraklion Kazantzakis HER Airport Overview
Heraklion Kazantzakis International Airport HER is gateway to the Mediterranean island of Crete and serves the ancient city of Heraklion, which includes the noteworthy Heraklion's Archaeological Museum housing remains of the area's 3000-year old Minoan civilization, Byzantine churches and a Venetian wall & fortress from the 15th century.
The Airport is located 5 km east Heraklion, the capital of the Greek island of Crete, accessible via motorway E75 or via the Ikarou road from city center. It is the second-largest airport in Greece, and is situated one hour from Elounda/Agies Nicolaos and 30 minutes from Malia/Hersonnisos.
With two runway and 5.4 million passengers in 2012, Haraklion Kazantzakis Airport is served by a large number of European charters and low-fare airlines, as well as domestic airlines Olympic & Aegean Airways, and Sky Express which handle flights to Mykenos, Santorini, Paros & Rhodes, as well as to Athens and Thessalonici. One of the Airport's runways reaches straight into the Mediterranean Sea.
The passenger terminal at Heraklion Kazantzakis Airport offers free Wi-Fi, an information desk, banking and currency exchange services, 5 travel agencies, restaurant & snack bars, kiosks and small shops, as well as duty-free shops. Other amenities include a post office, first aid station, pharmacy, a baby room, Lost & Found (+30 26930 51160), VIP lounge (open 24/7- tel. +30 2810 397112), and Left luggage (tel. +30 2810 397349).
Important Telephone numbers:
1. Customs: Terminal office - +30 2810 - 220390; Head of section - 397470; International arrivals - 397282 /87;
2. Police station: Head Office in Command - 246720; Duty officer - 246740; Passports control - 246747; Head Officer - 246745; Fax : +30 2810 - 301277
3. Airport Medical Center - 397280, 397721
4. Ε.Ο.Τ (Greek National Tourism Organization) - 397305
Parking options at Heraklion Airport: Parking is available in the lot across from the terminal. For more parking information call +30 2810 226980.
To get from Harklion International Airport to your destination you can rent a car, take a taxi (visit www..taxi-her.gr, or e-mail email@example.com); or take a bus.
1. Blue buses (tel. +30 2810 226065 /220795) to local destinations leave the Airport every 10 minutes, from early morning to late evening, Monday-Saturday, and run less frequently on Sundays.
2. Green buses are long-distance buses connecting the Heraklion city with other destinations on Crete Island. For KTEL buses visit either crete-buses.gr or bus-service-crete-ktel.com.
Future Airport Developments: A new airport is being built near Kastelli, expected to open by 2015, which will replace the current Heraklion Airport and will be able to accommodate between 5-10 million passengers a year. However, under the present economic conditions the proposed opening date may be in question.
Heraklion Kazantzakis HER Airport Update History
- HER Airports - Oct 28, 2013
- HER Airlines Served - Jul 3, 2013
- HER Airport Intro - Jun 19, 2013
- HER Official Website Links - Jun 7, 2013