Hyderabad Rajiv Gandhi (HYD) Airport
Hyderabad Rajiv Gandhi HYD Airport Overview
Hyderabad Rajiv Gandhi International Airport HYD - or simply referred to as 'RGIA' - is a new Airport of India, opened in 2008, replacing the former Begumpet Airport. As Hyderabad Airport is fast emerging into a transit hub between the East and the West; it can also claim to have India's longest runway, tallest air traffic control tower, and the first LEEDS approved, eco-sustainable, terminal.
Rajiv Gandhi Airport is located near Shamshabad and is 22 km south of downtown Hyderabad (and 30 km from Begumpet, in the State of Andhar Pradesh, India. It offers a non-stop airport shuttle service via the air-conditioned red Aero Express bus, which is economical, quick, and serves a number of important city destinations.
With two long runways and an estimated 8.4 million passengers a year (ending March 2012), Hyderabad Rajiv Gandhi Airport is a hub for Blue Dart Aviation, and focus city for Jet Airways & Kingfisher Airlines, and is served by many airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe. (SpiceJet conects to a host of destinations).
NOTE: 1. While the call center can be reached at 040-66546370, Customer Care can be reached at 1800-419-2008.
2. For security or operational reasons, visitor entry into the terminal may be restricted. To accompany a departing passenger, you need to obtain an entry ticket (100 rupees). For information call+91-40-6660 4781.
On-Airport Hotels at Hyderabad Airport:
1. 'Novotel Hyderabad Airport Hotel' (tel. +91-40-6625 0000 /Airport Counter +91-40-6660 3714) which also offers conference facilities.
2. Airport Lodge (tel. +91-40-2400 8371) is opposite the passener terminal at the Public Transport Center, and is an economy short-stay option.
3. the Airport Transit Hotel (tel. +91-40-660 3727 (internat'l) and 3922 (domestic) represents the Plaza Premium Lounge, located at the car park level.
Hyderabad Rajiv Gandhi Airport has at present two passenger terminals - Terminal 1 (the main terminal) and the Low-cost Airline Terminal 2:
Terminal 1, which is divided into a Domestic area and an International area, with an Arrivals and a Departure Level and 12 contact & 30 remote aircraft stands. It accommodates 12 million passengers a year, has 60 aircraft bays and 12 airbridges; the baggage handling system consists of a 4-level in-line baggage sceening system X-ray; there are 136 regular and 16 self-check-in counters and 46 immigration counters (23 for Departures, 22 for Arrivals, 1 for Transit).
Lounges inside the passenger terminal 1:
1. In International Departures you find the Kingfisher Red Lounge, and an ITC Smoking Lounge.
2. In the Domestic Terminal you find the Jet Airways & Plaza Premium lounges at Arrivals, & the Kingfisher lounge at Departures.
3. Air India's lounges can be contacted for domestic flights at +91-40-6660 5166, for for international flights at +91-40-6660-5167.
4. The three 'Plaza Pemium Lounges' are pay-in lounges' open 24 hours/day to all airport users. They are located at (a) at International Arrivals, Level C, Commercial Plaza, tel. (91) 040 6660 3131; (b) at International Departures, Level E near Gate 32A, tel. (91) 040 6660 3727; and (c) at Domestic Departures, level E near Gate 28, tel. (91) 040 6660 3922. The Lounges offer internet access, meeting rooms, business center, spa-, nap- & shower facilities, baggage storage, food & drink, and more.
For Customs call +91-40-2400 3031; for Immigration call +91-40-2324 1413.
Information services can be contacted outside the country at +91-40-6654-6370; for Customer Care call toll free 1-800-149-2008; and the call center can be reached at 040-66546370.
The Low-cost Airline Terminal serves about 500,000 passengers headed to the Singapore Changi and the Kuala Lumpur airports.
Parking options at Hyderabad Airport: A parking lot in front of Terminal 1 has 1,500 parking spaces. For more parking information call Tenaga Parking at 04066604205. NEW: For car trouble call 1-800-2666-2003 - this 24-hour emergency breakdown service offers trained manpower and mobile service from MyTVS'.
Rental cars are provided by Carzonrent and Akbar Travels of India .
To get from Rajiv Gandhi Airport to your destination you can rent a car, take one of the waiting white taxis located at the carpak level (or call either Meru at 44224422 or Sky Cabs at 4 9494949, a shuttle bus or a bus:
1. The new 'Pushhpak-Airport Liner' bus to the twin cities is a luxury air-conditioned express bus which can accommodate oversized luggte.
2. Aero Express is the non-stop airport shuttle - its buses run every half hour to/from several areas of the city, between 3:30am-11:30pm; and thereafter every hour.
3. APSTRC public (non-airconditioned) buses also make runs to the City's various points, at lower fares.
4. Still in the planning stages are: (a) the Metro rail extensin from Flaknuma to Shamshabad; and (b) an airport train from Secunderabad to the Airport, a 40-km distance which should take 25 minutes.
Future Airport Developments: The Airport is in its second phase of development, which calls for the expansion of Terminal 1 to keep up with growing demand. Upon completion it will have 54 aircraft stands. Also, the low-cost terminal will be expanded to its full capacity of 1.5 M passengers per annum.
Phase III of the Airport development will add additional floor area. New acquisitons of land north & south of the Airport will allow for two more runways.
Shamshabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Website for Hyderabad Rajiv Gandhi: http://www.hyderabad.aero/traveller.aspx
- Phone: +91 40 6654 5370
Hyderabad Rajiv Gandhi HYD Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Hyderabad Rajiv Gandhi HYD Airport Update History
- Updated HYD Airport Intro page - Mar 25, 2013
- Updated HYD Airports page - Mar 25, 2013
- Updated HYD Main Terminals page - Mar 25, 2013
- Updated HYD Direct Flights page - Mar 24, 2013
- Updated HYD Food & Stores page - Mar 19, 2013
- Updated HYD Parking On site page - Mar 7, 2013