The Airport is located in the city of Ikeja, 14 miles northwest of the city of Lagos, State of Lagos, and is Nigeria's largest airport, accessible from Lagos by a highway (driving time 30 minutes)..
The passenger service charge is about N2,500.
- The on-Airport Courtney Hotel opposite the Airport is presently under construction.
- The Sheraton Lagos Hotel, 4km or 2.5 miles from the Airport, offers conference & business facilities for up to 350 persons (tel: (01) 280 0100; its site at www.sheratonlagos.com opens an external website in a new tab.
Murtala Muhammed Airport has two passenger terminals in close proximity - operated by different entities:
- The MMA1* is the Domestic Terminal (in much need of upgrades) - operated by the Government (see: http://www.faannigeria.org/index.php/airports/international-airports/lagos-mma1).
- The MMA2** terminal is the International Terminal, operated by private enterprise 'Bi-Courtney' (see: http://www.mma2.com.ng/). It is currently under construction and expected to be completed by year-end 2017.
NOTE: It is assumed that the two terminals outlined above, have been merged into the new Terminal:
- In April 2017 it was announced that the the new passenger terminal under construction is to be completed towards year-end 2017. By June 2017 the 'Daily Trusts Newspaper' reported from the international wing of the Airport that the new Terminal - with a capacity of handling up to 30 million passengers annually - is 'almost ready for hand-over to the government'. Upon year-end completion, when the new Terminal opens, passenger facilitation will become easier and the terminal will be able to double its passenger capacity.
- Reconstruction work on the part of road linking the Airport and Oshodi in Lagos is to start September 2017.