Leipzig Halle (LEJ) Airport
Leipzig Halle LEJ Airport Overview
Leipzig Halle Airport LEJ is one of two Airports operated by 'Mitteldeutsche Airport Holding' and serves the German state of Saxony. It is also Germany's second-largest cargo hub (a new air cargo center is to be completed by 2014).
The Airport is located in the town of Schkeuditz, and about 40 km from either Halle or Dresden (each a 30-minute drive), and accessible via B6 trunk road (from Halle or Leipzig) or motorways A14 & A9 (exit at Schkeuditzer Kreuz to A14). The Porsche factory is next to the Airport and offers special facilities for visitors and conventions.
With two very long runways and an estimated 2.3 million passenges in 2012, Leipzig Halle Airport is served by domestic & international, regular & low-fare airlines, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe. Darwin Airline is starting flights to Paris & Amsterdam as of September 2, 2013.
The Central terminal complex of Leipzig Halle Airport, opened in 2003, has two connecting passenger terminals - the Central Terminal and Terminal B. It incorporates the InterCityExpress railway station, the central check-in area, the Mall, and the multi-storey carpark, and offers a link between rail, road & traffic networks:
The Central Terminal, able to accommodate up to 4.5 million passengers per annum,, consists of the check-in area and the Mall, and offers access to Terminal B and its departure gates. Both the Mall and the check-in area connect directly to the parking garage.
The check-in area (which can be accessed from the S-8A road from Schkeuditz) houses: a cash machine, airline ticket counters, travel agency desks, DB (train) counter, a bistro and the ckeck-in desks.
The Mall offers Germany's greatest selection of travel agencies, the Polster & Pohl lounge, various exhibits, a convenience store, & a restaurant. At the end of the mall is the Airport Information desk (tel. 0341 224-1155).
After checking in at the Central terminal, passengers reach Terminal B's security area via the Mall, where they find departure lounges & Arrivals area.
Terminal B has two levels: a the ground level for arrivals and a the first level for departures, with waiting areas for Schengen (right), mixed (center) and non-Schengen (left) departures leading to the gates.
The ground level with three entrances/exits houses rental car desks, food & drink establishments, shops, check-in automats for Lufthansa & Austrian Airlines; security check, baggage claim & customs desk, drugstore, cash machines, flight-bag automat, AHS lost baggage desk and an information desk.
The first level has in the public area a restaurant, a baggage re-check control, a chapel and conference rooms. The secured area has a children's corner, duty-free/Travel Value, AHS Lounge, Lufthansa Lounge, a bar, a book store, and a TV lounge, as well as the waiting areas for Schengen (right), mixed (center) and non-Schengen (left) departures.
Parking options at Leizig Halle International: (Free shuttle buses serve the more remote parking lots.)
1. the multi-story parking garage ('Parkhaus'), with 2,700 parking spaces, and access to check-in area and mall.
2. Parking lots P1, 2 & 3 are across from the parking garage (P1 & P3 are for short-term parking; P2 is for long-term parking).
3. P11 for short-term parking is in front of the check-in area, and P4 is a long-term parking lot a little further away.
4. Long-term lot P20, close to the tower, is open May-October only.
For more parking information call +49 (0) 341 2241247; fax 248.
To get from Leipzig Halle Airport to your destination, you can rent a car (at Terminal B, ground floor: Avis, Europcar, Hertz & Sixt), take a taxi in front of Terminal B, a train or a bus or shuttle bus:
1. The Leipzig/Halle Airport railway station under the terminal complex and offering direct access to the check-in area, includes IC, ICE and regional train connections, including an express train ('Flughafen Express') into central Leipzig every 30 minutes, taking 14 minutes and stopping once at Leipzig Trade Fare; and to Halle (Saale) every hour. A Deutsche Bahn or DB-Reise counter (German Trains tel. +49 (0) 341 2243213) is in the check-in area, open Mon-Sun 7am-8pm.
2. Buses 202 & 206 run frequently between Schkeuditz, the Airport and Delitzsch. The bus stop for long-distance coaches is at carpark P3 and tickets are available either form the bus driver or online.
3. There are many shuttle & taxi companies offering rides to area destinations. Here are a few telephone numbers you may want to use to get to either Leipzig or Halle (all numberss precede country code +49): (a) to Leipzig: 341 2322377; 341 2458120; 341 46721-0; (b) to Halle: 173 3667584;
- Website for Leipzig Halle: http://www.leipzig-halle-airport.de/en/index.html
- Email Address: http://www.leipzig-halle-airport.de/en/index/suche_impressum_kontakt/kontakt.html
- Phone: 49 341 2241155
Leipzig Halle LEJ Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Leipzig Halle LEJ Airport Update History
- Updated LEJ Airports page - May 15, 2013
- Updated LEJ Food & Stores page - May 15, 2013
- Updated LEJ Airport Intro page - May 10, 2013
- Updated LEJ Direct Flights page - Mar 25, 2013
- Updated LEJ Parking On site page - Mar 21, 2013
- Updated LEJ Main Terminals page - Feb 4, 2013