Leipzig Halle (LEJ) Airport
Leipzig Halle LEJ Airport Overview
Leipzig Halle Airport LEJ is one of two Airports operated by 'Mitteldeutsche Airport Holding' and serves the German state of Saxony. It is also Germany's second-largest cargo hub (a new air cargo center is to be completed by 2014).
The Airport is located in the town of Schkeuditz, and about 40 km from either Halle or Dresden (each a 30-minute drive), and accessible via B6 trunk road (from Halle or Leipzig) or motorways A14 & A9 (exit at Schkeuditzer Kreuz to A14). The Porsche factory is next to the Airport and offers special facilities for visitors and conventions.
With two very long runways and an estimated 2.3 million passenges in 2012, Leipzig Halle Airport is served by domestic & international, regular & low-fare airlines, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe. Darwin Airline is starting flights to Paris & Amsterdam as of September 2, 2013.
The Central terminal complex of Leipzig Halle Airport, opened in 2003, has two connecting passenger terminals - the Central Terminal and Terminal B. It incorporates the InterCityExpress railway station, the central check-in area, the Mall, and the multi-storey carpark, and offers a link between rail, road & traffic networks:
The Central Terminal, able to accommodate up to 4.5 million passengers per annum,, consists of the check-in area and the Mall, and offers access to Terminal B and its departure gates. Both the Mall and the check-in area connect directly to the parking garage.
The check-in area (which can be accessed from the S-8A road from Schkeuditz) houses: a cash machine, airline ticket counters, travel agency desks, DB (train) counter, a bistro and the ckeck-in desks.
The Mall offers Germany's greatest selection of travel agencies, the Polster & Pohl lounge, various exhibits, a convenience store, & a restaurant. At the end of the mall is the Airport Information desk (tel. 0341 224-1155).
After checking in at the Central terminal, passengers reach Terminal B's security area via the Mall, where they find departure lounges & Arrivals area.
Terminal B has two levels: a the ground level for arrivals and a the first level for departures, with waiting areas for Schengen (right), mixed (center) and non-Schengen (left) departures leading to the gates.
The ground level with three entrances/exits houses rental car desks, food & drink establishments, shops, check-in automats for Lufthansa & Austrian Airlines; security check, baggage claim & customs desk, drugstore, cash machines, flight-bag automat, AHS lost baggage desk and an information desk.
The first level has in the public area a restaurant, a baggage re-check control, a chapel and conference rooms. The secured area has a children's corner, duty-free/Travel Value, AHS Lounge, Lufthansa Lounge, a bar, a book store, and a TV lounge, as well as the waiting areas for Schengen (right), mixed (center) and non-Schengen (left) departures.
Parking options at Leizig Halle International: (Free shuttle buses serve the more remote parking lots.)
1. the multi-story parking garage ('Parkhaus'), with 2,700 parking spaces, and access to check-in area and mall.
2. Parking lots P1, 2 & 3 are across from the parking garage (P1 & P3 are for short-term parking; P2 is for long-term parking).
3. P11 for short-term parking is in front of the check-in area, and P4 is a long-term parking lot a little further away.
4. Long-term lot P20, close to the tower, is open May-October only.
For more parking information call +49 (0) 341 2241247; fax 248.
To get from Leipzig Halle Airport to your destination, you can rent a car (at Terminal B, ground floor: Avis, Europcar, Hertz & Sixt), take a taxi in front of Terminal B, a train or a bus or shuttle bus:
1. The Leipzig/Halle Airport railway station under the terminal complex and offering direct access to the check-in area, includes IC, ICE and regional train connections, including an express train ('Flughafen Express') into central Leipzig every 30 minutes, taking 14 minutes and stopping once at Leipzig Trade Fare; and to Halle (Saale) every hour. A Deutsche Bahn or DB-Reise counter (German Trains tel. +49 (0) 341 2243213) is in the check-in area, open Mon-Sun 7am-8pm.
2. Buses 202 & 206 run frequently between Schkeuditz, the Airport and Delitzsch. The bus stop for long-distance coaches is at carpark P3 and tickets are available either form the bus driver or online.
3. There are many shuttle & taxi companies offering rides to area destinations. Here are a few telephone numbers you may want to use to get to either Leipzig or Halle (all numberss precede country code +49): (a) to Leipzig: 341 2322377; 341 2458120; 341 46721-0; (b) to Halle: 173 3667584;
- Website for Leipzig Halle: http://www.leipzig-halle-airport.de/en/index.html
- Contact: http://www.leipzig-halle-airport.de/en/index/suche_impressum_kontakt/kontakt.html
- Phone: 49 341 2241155
Leipzig Halle LEJ Airport Update History
- LEJ Airports - Oct 28, 2013
- LEJ Airlines Served - Jun 12, 2013