The airport's operator is Angkasa Pura. Indonesia promotes both Lombok and Sumbawa islands as tourist destination second only to Bali.
Lombok Airport is close to the small city of Praya, and is southeast of Lombok Island’s largest city, Mataram - the capital of the province of Nusa Tenggara Barat. Within 20 minutes you can reach the beaches of Kuta Town, south Lombok and other coves, as well as the beautiful countryside.
While Praya is the nearest town from LOP, Mataram is about 40 km - the Senggigi tourist precinct of West Lombok about 55 km - and both Kuta & Selong Blanik to the south are a 30 minute drive from the Airport.
With one long runway Lombok International Airport can accommodate wide-body aircraft and is served by national and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe. However, a large part of its air traffic is within Indonesia and to Singapore.
- The Departure Tax is now 200,000 Rp for international and 50.000 IDR for domestic departures per person.
- Lombok Airport offers free-visa facilities for foreign citizens from 159 countries.
Lombok International Airport's new passenger terminal is spectacular - able to handle up to 2.4 million passengers a year, and offering all the amenities and services you expect from an airport of its size. Among them are banking facilities (ATMs & currency exchange), snack bar, cafe, spa & massage, factory outlet, rental car counters & more.
- In August 2016 it was announced that the Airport considers separating domestic & international operations - due to rising passenger counts.
- In October 2016 it was announced that:
- the total passenger count for year 2016 is expected to have increased by 32 percent. (Currently Lombok Airport offers 3 international and 46 domestic flights
- Airport Operator API allocated $5.9M for the terminal's expansion - started year-end 2016, and expected to be completed by mid-2017. The project also includes adding two new aircraft parking spaces to the current 10 stands.
- There will be one daily direct flight on a Boeing 737-900 aircraft to Central Java's Sumarmo Airport in Surakarta (Solo) - a favored tourist destination (for its culture, batik & food offerings.