Milan Malpensa (MXP) Airport
Milan Malpensa MXP Airport Overview
Milan Malpensa Airport MXP serves the Italian region of Lombardia and its capital city of Milan. It is the largest of the three Milan international airports (the other two are Orio al Serio, used for low-cost airlines, and Linate).
The Airport is located 40 km northwest of central Milan, and is only about 50 miles from the Swiss Border. It is accessible by a four-lane highway to the A8 motorway, which connects Switzerland to Milan, and by a four-lane highway to the A4 motorway to Turin and to the Strade Statale 11.
With three long runways and an estimated 18.5 million passengers in 2012, Milan Malpensa Airport is served by a myriad of national, international, low-cost and charter airlines, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
The on-Airport Sheraton Milan Malpensa Hotel is inside of Terminal 1 and offers a conference center.
The passenger terminal complex at Milan Malpensa Airport consists of two terminals - T1 & T2 - or Malpensa 1 & Malpensa 2 (for low-cost airlines). (For more information, please refer to 'Terminal Map' page.)
Parking Options at Milan Malpensa Airport: (For more information, please refer to 'Airport Parking' page.)
Rental car agencies at Malpensa Airport maintain desks in both terminals: (Avis & Europcar in T2, Arrivals; ten others, including Avis & Europcar in T1, first floor). Both Malpensa 1 and 2 have now an ecological car-sharing scheme.
To get from Milan Malpensa Airport to your destination, you can, rent a car, take a taxi, or a train or bus.
Train & bus tickets are available at (a) T2 Arrivals, from Airpullman Viaggi (tel. +39.02.585832.02); and (b) from Airport 2000 for bus ticket, at T1, Arrivals, ground floor; (c) Malpensa Express for train tickets at T2 Arrivals A & B, Ground floor, and at level 1 of the railway station.
1.By Train: (a) The Malpensa Express station at the Airport can be reached via a covered walkway leading from Terminal 1 (a bus shuttle takes you from Terminal 2 to T1 first). The Malpensa Express is linked to the Milan Cadorna Station, which in turn connects with green subway lines M2 and red subway lines M1, as well as to the suburban and regional railway service. It makes stops at Milano Bovisa connecting with the Passante track of the suburban railways, and at Busto Arsizio FNM, Saronno Centrale, with connection to regional trains for Varese & Como.
(b) The new connection from the Airport by Suburban Line S10 - Milano-Rogoredo - Milano Bovisa.
(c) A shuttle connection between the Airport railway station and Busto Arsizio FS with connections to Milan's train stations Milano Centrale and Milano Porta Garibaldi.
(d) 2 daily train connections are now available between the Airport and Gallarate & Bellinzona.
(e) To be completed by 2012: the Malpensa-Varese-Mendrisio-Lugano (Swiss).
2. By Bus: (a) Both the Malpensa Shuttle and the Malpensa Bus Express connect to the Milan Central Station, which is hub for Trenitalia's National Railway, and to the Metro. At normal traffic it takes about 1 hour.
(b) The Lufthansa Airport Bus connects both Airport terminals every 20 minutes to the Milan Central Station, stopping at Fieramilanocity & Milan Fair, which request stop at Rho/Pero. It also serves the nearby Lombard, Piedmont & Liguria provinces, as well as Bellinzona, Chiasso & Lugano in Switzerland.
(c) Transfer to Linate Airport is available via scheduled bus service.
Milan Malpensa Airport
Varese, Lombardia, 21010
- Website for Milan Malpensa: http://www.sea-aeroportimilano.it/en/malpensa/index.phtml
- Phone: +39 02 232323
- View Terminal Map
Milan Malpensa MXP Services
Terminal Maps and Services
- MXP Banking / ATM Services
- MXP Currency Exchange
- MXP Emergency / Medical Services
- MXP Guest Services
- MXP Internet Access
- MXP Lost & Found
- MXP Mail / Post
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Milan Malpensa MXP Airport Update History
- Updated MXP Airport Intro page - May 4, 2013
- Updated MXP Airports page - May 4, 2013
- Updated MXP Main Terminals page - May 4, 2013
- Updated MXP Official Website Links page - May 4, 2013
- Updated MXP Direct Flights page - Feb 6, 2013
- Updated MXP Banking ATM page - Dec 25, 2012
- Updated MXP Currency Exchange page - Dec 25, 2012
- Updated MXP Lost Found page - Dec 25, 2012
- Updated MXP Food & Stores page - Dec 11, 2012