Montevideo Carrasco International Airport MVD
is Urguguay's (South America) primary airport serving its capital city of Montevideo and the Canelones region. The Airport is operated by Puerta del Sur SA. 'Sleeping in Airports' classified Carrasco Airport in late 2016 as being 'Best in South America'. At the same time it also received the Natoinal Energy Efficiency award.
The Airport is located In Punta del Sur, and is only 5 km from the city of Montevideo, acccessible via National Routes 101, Route 1B (Ruta Interbalnearia) & Route 102.
With two runways and an estimated 1.7 million passengers per annum, Carrasco Airport is served by some major airlines, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
Boarding fees in US dollars: International $36; flights to Buenos Aires $17; domestic flights $2.
- You can now complete all required entry/departure forms over the internet, saving time and inconvenience.
- Since August 2016 the new border-control automated e-Gates
now provide passport authentication, background checks and biometric passenger verification - expediting the arrivals process. Argentinian & Uruguayan citizens ages 18 years and over & with electronic identification documents may use the automatic migration gateway. The automated immigration control kiosks help border guards in passenger identification, and reduce considerably waiting times.
- Passengers who made purchases in the duty-free area may now use the Tax-free self-service kiosk .
Current airlines serving the Airport:
Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeromas, Air Class, Air Europa, Air France, Amaszonas Uruguay & Paraguay, American, Austral, Avianca, Blue, Copa, GOL, Iberia, LATAM & Sky.
The spectacular passenger terminal at Carrasco Airport,
opened in 2009 - appearing like a giant UFO - is able to handle 4 million passengers a year, with four jetways to the boarding gates, accessible from the mezzanine level (entrepiso). Independent access roads serve departures on the first level and arrivals on the ground level, covered by a rounded roof canopy. To make an even more visual impact, an open atrium next to the street entrance opens the ground level of the terminal to the monumental space of the main hall, linking the start and end stages of the trip through the airport both visually and spatially.
The gound level is the Arrivals level
- housing baggage claim, rental car counters, information, and other services (True Star SecureBag, baggage storage, Tourist desk in Arrivals Hall, Abitab).
The first level is the Departures level
- housing check-in counters to the East & West of the public hall - Check-in counters for American, TAM, GOL & Aerolineas Argentinas are at the East side; and check-in counters for Sol + Pluna are at the West Side. After checking in, go through Security control & Immigration, and arrive at the Concourse center with duty-free shops - with access to east gates 5 to 8 and west gates 4 to 1.
Services and amenities inside the passenger terminal include
restaurants, bars, shops & duty-free shops, HSBC bank branch & ATM machines, ANTEL communications, Global Exchange foreign exchange desks, True Star luggage wrapping, and travel agents Abtour & Jorge Martinez). The 'Belvedere Terrace' offers a peaceful environment where the weary traveler can relax.
The Airport VIP Club i
s located both in Arrivals and Departures areas (tel: 598 2 6040329 Ext. 1600 - or use: firstname.lastname@example.org). The 'Fast-Pass' makes checking in for members of the VIP Club a breeze (at passport and security control merely swipe card at designated area in the departure hall, and upon return in the arrivals hall).
Passengers transferring to Aeropuerto de Punta del Este in Madonado,
may take the following airlines: Aerolineas Argentinas, Amazonas Uruguay, or LATAM.