Osaka Kansai (KIX) Airport
Osaka Kansai KIX Airport Overview
Osaka Kansai International Airport KIX is mainly the international airport for the Osaka Prefecture of Japan (while Osaka Itami International Airport, despite its name, is the region's domestic airport). Kansai Airport is now hub to Asian destinations, with some 500 weekly flights (while North America counts for 35 and Europe & Middle East for 66 weekly flights).
The Airport is located on an artificial island in Osaka Bay, off-shore of the cities of Sennan and Izumisano and the town of Tajiri, and 50 km from the city center of Osaka--all situated within the Osaka Prefecture, Japan. Kansai International Airport is connected only by the Sky Gate Bridge R, which has on the lower level the railroad tracks used by JR West and Nankai Electric, and on the upper level the road leading to Tinku Town and the mainland.
With two very long runways, and an estimated 14.3 million passengers in 2012, Kansai Airport is international hub for All Nippon Airways & Japan Airlines, and for low-cost carrier Peach, and is served by international airlines offering year-round and seasonal direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe. (Currently both domestic & international flights depart at either the south or north wing of Terminal 1, while temporarily Peach Airlines uses Terminal 2 until completion by Fall 2013 of the new Low-Cost Terminal.
The on-Airport 'Hotel Nikko Kansai Airport' (tel. +81 (0)72-455-1111) shares levels 1 & 2 with the Aeroplaza, and has on the 11th floor a restaurant. It is only a 3-minute walk from the passenger terminal and the Airport Station.
The passenger terminal complex at Kansai Airport consists of the Aeroplaza and Terminals 1 & 2: (For more information, please refer to 'Terminal Map' page.)
Parking options at Kansai Airport: (For more information, please refer to 'Airport Parking' page.)
Rental car counters for Nippon, Toyota & Mazda are located at the Aeroplaza on level one - a 3-minute walk from the passenger terminal from its level 2 connection.
To get from Kansai International Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi, a bus, a train or a ferry boat (located at the end of the airport island are the Ferry Terminal and Sky View. The Kansai Airport station is located across from the Domestic Departure & Arrivals level (2F) , between carparks 1 & 2. Train tickets can be obtained at 2F Arrivals, at the travel counter. For transfer buses to Osaka International Airport call +81 72 461-137.
The railway network includes the following rail lines: Jr, Nankai, Hankyu, Keihan, Hanahin, Kintetsu; as well as the Shinkansen Bullet Train.
The subway network includes the following lines: Midosuji, Tanimachi, Sakaisuji, Yotsubashi, Sennichimae & Chuo.
1. The 'Haruka' train has limited express service to Kansai Airport Station from Tennoji, Shin-Osaka and Kyoto Stations.
2. The 'Kansai Airport Rapid' also serves Kansai Airport Station from Osaka & Kyobashi Station, with several stations in between, and various connections at each station to bus, subway, trams & other railroads. Nankai operates the 'Rapid', a limited express train to Namba Station on the southern edge of downtown Osaka.
3. There are subway connections at Namba and Tengachaya Stations.
4. Buses: So-called 'airport limousines', owned by code-sharing bus operators, offer scheduled express services to numerous area destinations.
5. The high-speed ferry runs between Kansai & Kobe Airports a trip of 30 minutes.
Connecting between Kansai and Itami Airports: Special buses run beween these two airports. Tickets are available at the Limousine Bus ticket counter B on level 1 of the International Arrivals Lounge near doors 7/8; the bus leaves right outside of it.
Present & future Airport developments: A new low-cost terminal LLC under construction is to open in Fall 2013, when Peach Airline will move in. The Terminal will nave no airbridges - passenges are taken by bus to the air carriers.
Senshu-Kuko Kita, Izumisano-shi
- Website for Osaka Kansai: http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/index.asp
- Email Address: http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/en/contact/index.html
- Phone: +81 72 455 2500
- View Terminal Map
Osaka Kansai KIX Services
Terminal Maps and Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Osaka Kansai KIX Airport Update History
- Updated KIX Airports page - May 13, 2013
- Updated KIX Food & Stores page - May 13, 2013
- Updated KIX Airport Intro page - May 2, 2013
- Updated KIX Main Terminals page - May 2, 2013
- Updated KIX Parking On site page - Mar 13, 2013
- Updated KIX Direct Flights page - Feb 20, 2013