Port Moresby Jackson's (POM) Airport
Port Moresby Jackson's POM Airport Overview
Jackson's Airport is only 2.5 miles from the National Capital District of Port Moresby, bordering on the Coral Sea. It is managed by New Guinea National Airports Corp. No official website was found.
With a long runway and an estimated 0.9M passengers per annum, Jackson's Airport is hub for Air Niugini, which serves domestic & Oceania airports, and by Qantas & Virgin Australia, with direct & connecting flights to all points of the globe.
Jackson's International Airport has two passenger terminals connected by covered walkway.
The International Terminal - now under expansion work (see below) - has currently a restaurant & coffee shop, limited souvenir/ duty free stores, ATM cash machine, foreign exchange service, rental car counters, VIP lounge, Information counter, and a VIP ceremonial plaza.
The Domestic Terminal has a new public concourse, food court and domestic carpark. It houses rental car counters, a First-Class Lounge, ATM cash machines & eateries.
1. Rental Cars: Virgin Australia points out that it is best to rent a car through their hotel or restort in Port Moresby.
2. Airport Lounge: Virgin Australia Airport Lounge is available to eligible passengers with a valid Virgin Australia boarding pass, who pay a single entry upon terminal arrival.
3. ARINC upgraded the Airport's passenger processing system which includes barcode scanners & common-use passenger processing systems & a multimedia flight information display.
A frequent flyer offered this post back in October 2013: "...boarding and getting out of the plane is quite fast....Virgin Australia planes do not connect to the gate - you need to walk to the terminal. .. All tourist visas are now free.... Passport queues always take a long time and it gets stuffy. ... A BSP Bank branch is next to the baggage carousel and also inside the general terminal area. ...I feel safer waiting inside, and looking out of the window for my pick up to arrive."
Parking is available in front of both terminals for short- and long-term parking
Transport: Aside from rental cars & taxis, public buses also serve the Airport with frequent service to the City.
Present and future Airport developments. The National Airports Corporation (NAC) announced that it is expanding Port Moresby Airport in preparation for the upcoming 2015 South Pacific Games and the 2018 APEC summit. Already the international terminal is on target to be completed by April 2015 – with a 30-meter extension at northwest end, and a 20-meter extension at southeast end, with additional modifications inside. Passenger processing after completion of extension work willl then take a mere three minutes.
Furthermore, the apron is being extended for more aircraft parking, and two more airbridges are being added.
In time for the 2018 APEX summit both international and domestic terminals are being joined, thereby gaining more space.
Port Moresby 121
Papua New Guinea
- Website for Port Moresby Jackson's: http://www.nac.com.pg/port-moresby-international-jacksons.html
- Contact: email@example.com
- Phone: +675 324 4400 /fax 325 0833