AMA AIRPORT & FLIGHT STATUS
AMA Delays: 15 mins or less.
Rick Husband Amarillo AMA Airport Overview
Rick Husband Amarillo International Airport AMA covers an area of 3,547 acres and was named after its native son Rick Husband, the NASA astronaut, who died in the Columbia shuttle. Amarillo Airport has a U.S. Customs Department port of entry; for questions or assistance, call the Port Director at 806-335-3533.
The City of Amarillo with its 185,000 residents offers big-city conveniences with friendly small-town atmosphere. For the outdoor enthusiast, there is Palo Duro Canyon offering beauty and recreation.
The Airport is located approximately two miles north of East I-40, on historic Route 66 , and 7 miles from downtown Amarillo, in the Texas Panhandle. Upper & ower terminal dive areas have recently been renovated.
With 2 runways and an estimated 0.8 million passengers a year, Rick Husband Amarillo Airport is presently served American, Southwest and United airlines and their affiliates offering non-stop flights to some major U.S. airports, with connections around the world.
It is recommended to arrive at the Airport no later than 60-90 minutes prior to scheduled departure flight.
The passenger terminal at Amarillo Airport has recently been renovated and expanded with a new concourse and 7 gates; it is now a state-of-the-art facility with improved passenger services, security, new concession services; new inline baggage system, new airline counter, flight displays, and baggage claim operations. Four rental car agencies Avis, Enterprise, Hertz & National, have rental car counters in the terminal. A large meeter-greeter area is in the arrivals area.
The Airport office is located on the 2d floor of the passenger terminal and is open Mo-Fri 8am-2 noon and 1pm-5pm.
Current Airlines serving the terminal are American, United and Southwest.
If you pick up a passenger at the Airport, you can use the free Cell Phone Lot, locaed adjacent to Rosenwald Drive at Airport entrance - stay with your car until your party has collected bags and calls you to be picked up at the terminal curb. You can also park in the Preferred Parking Lot which offers the first 30 mins. free.
Parking options at Amarillo Airport:
Parking Garage (second exit after leaving Airport Blvd.), next to the terminal building provides 641 covered spaces;
Preferred Parking Lot (turn left just past parking garage) has 104 spaces and is close to the passenger terminal;
Outdoor Parking (first exit to left after leaving Airport Blvd.) is available with 635 spaces.
For more parking information call Standard at 806-335-1921.
To get from Rick Husband Amarillo Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi, or a bus.
Present and future Airport Developments: 1. The terminal's escalator replacement scheduled for 2013.
2. The rental car ready lot will be moved to be next to the terminal, and present rental car service facilities will be consolidated - scheduled for completion late 2014.
Rick Husband Amarillo AMA Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Rick Husband Amarillo AMA Airport Update History
- Updated AMA Airport Intro page - May 16, 2013
- Updated AMA Airports page - May 16, 2013
- Updated AMA Email page - May 16, 2013
- Updated AMA Direct Flights page - Feb 21, 2013
- Updated AMA Parking On site page - Jan 22, 2013