Salt Lake City SLC Airport Overview
Salt Lake City International Airport SLC is Utah's primary - and one of the nation's largest airports. (It is also an Emergency Medical Dispatch (IAED) accredited airport.) Delta's third-largest hub with its reservation center headquartered here. PC World Magazine considers SLC Airport as one of the best airports for Tech Travelers.
The Airport is located five miles northwest of downtown Salt Lake City, Utah (a 10-minute drive), is accessible right off Interstate Hwy 80 (Exit Bangerter Hwy) and is close to I-215 (Belt Route). It is also 15 minutes from the Salt Palace Convention Center and downtown hotels.
Not only is the Airport within an hour's range from 11 major ski resorts, but it is also the gateway to 42 state parks, and numerous golf courses, the closest of which is the Wingpointe Golf Course adjacent to the Airport.
The passenger terminal complex at Salt Lake City Airport includes three terminals - T1, T2 & the International Terminal - all laid out in a semi-circle surrounding the short-term parking garage, and connected to each other and to their concourses on the second level.
Passenger Pickup /Dropoff: Delta passengers exit from Terminal 2. International Arrivals exit from International Terminal. All other passengers exit from Terminal 1. Pickup & dropoff lanes in front of the terminals are separated. For passenger pickup, use the 'Park & Wait Lot' (free cell phone lot) - as you enter the Airport, it is to your right, south of Terminal 1. Wait in the car until your party collected bags & calls you to be picked up at the curb.
Rental car booths for major rental car agencies are on the lower level of the parking garage.
To get from Salt Lake City Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi or limo, or a bus:
1. Taxis are outside of Terminal 1 at Door 7, and outside Terminal 2 at Door 11.
2. The UTA bus (call 801-287-4636 or visit rideuta.com) leaves the airport between Terminals 1 & 2 for the City Center every 30 minutes during the day and every 60 minutes after 7pm. Bus stops are located in the parking garage between Terminals 1 & 2 (limited service available weekends/ holidays). For UTA para-transit service call 801-287-7433 - 24 hrs prior to departures.
3. Shuttles: Authorized shuttle companies with Airport counter service in the baggage claim area include: Alta, All Resort Express, Canyon Transport and Park City Transportation, and Xpress Shuttle. Note that reservations must be made prior to arrival for Salt Lake City destinations; for destinations outside of the City, on demand arrangements can be made with all other companies.
4. For long-distance transportation contact either Greyhound Bus (300 South 600 West, at SLC - tel. 1-800-231-2222 or visit gryhound.com; or contact Amtrak (340 South 600 West at SLC - tel. 872-7245, or visit amtrak.com.
Future Airport Developments: The new Terminal Redevelopment Program, started in early 2012, will take place over a period of 8-10 years, thereby creating a single terminal with concourses, parking & support facilities. (2012 projects so far only involved general repair/replacement work & the addition/ replacement of concessions). These are the next three steps of a total of 13 steps to be taken under its Phase I of construction project:
Step 1starts construction of QTA and begins phased renovation of Concourse A.
Step 2 involves demolition of South leg of Concourse E (excluding baggage room), and of existing RAC service site; it is also start of Cup & Utilily tunnel construction; of temporary roads, and demolition of apron area and south concourse.
Step 3 involves rerouting of existing terminal roadways for new roadways and terminal building; start of construction of new terminal and South Concourse West; Apron demolition and new Apron construction.
For more information contact Salt Lake City Department of Airports at 800-575-2768.
Note that current Terminal 1 and its Concourses A & B are 50 years old; Terminal 2 and its Concourse C are 33 yrs old and Concourse D of the International Terminal is 27 years old!
Salt Lake City SLC Services
Terminal Maps and Services
- SLC Baggage Carts / Skycap
- SLC Baggage Claim
- SLC Banking / ATM Services
- SLC Business Services
- SLC Currency Exchange
- SLC Emergency / Medical Services
- SLC Guest Services
- SLC Internet Access
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Salt Lake City SLC Airport Update History
- Updated SLC Airport Intro page - Jun 1, 2013
- Updated SLC Airports page - Jun 1, 2013
- Updated SLC Airlines Served page - May 19, 2013
- Updated SLC Official Website Links page - May 19, 2013
- Updated SLC Food & Stores page - May 2, 2013
- Updated SLC Main Terminals page - Apr 27, 2013
- Updated SLC Terminal Map page - Mar 14, 2013
- Updated SLC Direct Flights page - Jan 25, 2013