Sofia (SOF) Airport
Sofia SOF Airport Overview
Sofia Airport SOF is the primary international airport for Bulgaria and is the country's only Airport with a solid number of year-round flights. In winter Sofia Airport also offers connecting flights to popular Bulgarian ski resorts. In recent years many upgrades have been made to the airport facilities which led to rapid passenger growth in the last few years.
Sofia Airport is located 5km west of the center of the capital city of Sofia, in western Bulgaria.
With a 3,600 meter runway and an estimated 3.5 million passengers in 2012, Sofia Airport is hub to BH Air, Bulgaria Air & Wizz Air, and is served by international regular and low-cost airlines as well as charters, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe. Direct flight routes include Central, Western and Eastern Europe, as well as the Middle East and Africa,
Sofia Airport has two passenger terminals - T1 & T2. A free shuttle bus runs between the two terminals every half hour between 7am-6:45pm. Thereafter, shuttle service can be requested at the Information desks inside the terminals, or by calling +359 (2) 937 2211 /12 /13.
Terminal 1 of Sofia Airport, which mainly serves domestic, low-cost and charter airlines, has been thoroughly renovated and offers easy access and efficient services. Ticket desks for low-cost airlines (EasyJet, Sky Europe, GermanWings) are open 9am-7pm (tel. (02) 937-2399). Rental cars desks are located in the Arrivals Hall. A VIP lounge is in the western wing (Departures) with its own entrance (tel. +359(2)937 21 92 /fax 21 90).
Terminal 2 of Sofia Airport, which serves international airlines, resembles a spaceship. It has four levels below and two levels above its ground level. The central area of T2 has a 200-meter pier and seven air bridges, 38 check-in desks, and 12 elevators and 7 escalators offer access all levels. WiFi free hot spot zone is available in the public lounges. It houses large commercial area with rental car desks, banking and foreign exchange services, restaurants, cafes & bars, as well as shops and duty-free shops (Bulgaria is an EU member).
Level 0 - the ground level of T2 - is the arrivals & check-in level, with passport control, baggage claim & carts, arrivals & wellcome hall, check-in Hall with ticket counters, restaurant, VIP corridor & entrance to VIP lounge; and outside bus stops.
Level 1 houses airline offices, duty-free shop, food & drink,customs & passport control, departures area & departures lounge and access to the gates. The Sofia business-class lounges 'PLiska' & 'Preslav' are at post-security.
Level 2 houses a restaurant, kitchens, airport office and terrace.
Other services and amenities inside the terminals: Aside from food & drink, newsstands & souvenir shops, both terminals have tax-free stores, as well as SA Buy/Bye Shops.
Parking options at Sofia Airport: Terminal 1 has a parking lot cross from it. Terminal 2 has a parking garage which connect to pre-security areas of T2. Both facilities can be used for short- or long-term parking.
Rental cars counters for major agencies are located in the arrivals area of Terminal 1.
To get from the Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi, a bus or a shuttle bus:
(a) To get to Sofia, which takes about 20 minutes, you can either take an authorized taxi, whose company has a desk inside the terminal; or
(b) you can take Bus Route 84, from either T1or T2, running via C.Columbis Blvd., Tsarigradsko Shose Bld. to Gurko Street in the city; or take
(c) Bus 30, a small shuttle bus, connecting both terminals with the city center and its residential area of Lyulin.
NOTE: Construction on an extension of the Sofia Metro Line 1 started in 2011 and should be operational by 2014.
Sofia SOF Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Sofia SOF Airport Update History
- Updated SOF Airport Intro page - May 9, 2013
- Updated SOF Airports page - May 9, 2013
- Updated SOF Food & Stores page - Mar 13, 2013
- Updated SOF Direct Flights page - Feb 23, 2013
- Updated SOF Main Terminals page - Jan 31, 2013