Tijuana (TIJ) Airport
Tijuana TIJ Airport Overview
Tijuana International Airport TIJ (officially known as General Abelardo L. Rodríguez Airport) is not only one of Mexico's most important hubs, but at present it is also the only international gateway from Asia to Central/South America. It is operated by Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacifico.
The Airport is located just 6 km, or a 10-minute drive, from the city of Tijuana, on Mexico's northwestern end of the Baja California Peninsula, right on the Mexican side of the U.S.-Mexico border, and 29 km south of San Diego, Californa. It is accessible via both the US Hwys 5 & 805 and the Mexican Highway 1.
With one long runway and an estimated 3.7 million passengers in 2012, Tijuana International is hub for Volaris Airlines and is served by domestic airlines offering direct flights mainly within Mexico, while Aeromexico also flies to Shanghai-Pudong, China, and to Tokyo-Narita, Japan, offering connections to all points of the globe.
1.If you drive to the Airport from the U.S., take into consideration the waiting time at the border crossing, which can take between a few minutes to an hour, but on US and/or Mexican holidays it can take a few hours.
2. Airport information: Tel: 52-(664)-607-8200, 52-(664)-607-8201, or 52-(664)-607-8230.
3. Tourist-related Information is available from Hoteles Noroeste & Cotuco (hotel information); Viajes Lincoln, Viajes Ancla & Viajes del Rubi (travel agencies).
Tijuana International Airport has one passenger terminal with Concourses A, B, C, and Satellite E, has 23 gates, 10 jetways and four baggage claim carousels.
Amenities and services inside the Terminal: Terminal renovations have now been completed.
A Food Court is in Concourses A & B, at ground & upper levels. Duty-free shops are at Concourses A & B in their main corridor.
Customs is in the Arrivals area. Taxi and rental car desks for all major rental cars are in both Arrivals & Departures.
Wireless internet access by TelMex is available throughout the terminal.
Other services include: American Express; Aerocambia currency exchange; MPA currency exchange, and ATMs from Banamex, HSBC & Bancomer.
Lounges at Tijuana Airport : VIP room Tijuana on the upper level of the main terminal; and
Aeromexico Salon Premier in Concourse A, ground level.
Parking Options at Tijuana International Airport: The Parking Lot at Tijuana International is within walking distance of the passenger terminal; parking rates are to be paid in Mexican currency or by credit card at the automated cash registers.
Taxi and rental car desks for all major rental cars are in both Arrivals & Departures.
To get from Tijuana International Airport to your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi, a shuttle or a bus: Note that the Mexican law does not allow passenger pickup from the terminal (only dropoff). Instead authorized SAAT Taxis make pickups and can be contacted in the Arrivals Hall. All fixed-route taxis & buses, as well as 'calafias' (vans), reach Centro (downtown Tijuana), while most of them reach, or stop near to Plaza Rio - at Zona Rio, and Otay areas.
1. Aeromexico offers a shuttle flight to San Diego across the border.
2. Private buses: Modulo Autobuses sells bus tickets (tel. 683-80-82) - Intercalifornias bus service (tel. 683-62-81); Greyhound (tel. 621-26-14); Crucero-USA bus service (tel. 621-26-14).
2. Public buses are: Blue & White, Green & Beige lines and Transportes Urbanos y Sububanos S.A.
3. Major bus routes (also served by some fixed-route taxi lines) serve the following destinations: (a) to Mirador, (b) to Alamira, (c) to Payas & to Centro.
Future Airport Developments: 'Project Smart Border 2010' is now underway for a bi-national terminal to be built immediately across from the US/Mexican border fence, on US land, so that Tujuana International Airport will serve as relief airport for the highly congested San Diego Airport. The project will also include parking, check-in counters, customs offices and is to link via a bridge crossing the border into Tijuana airport.
The development of a privately owned cross-border facility - intended to be used by ticketed airline passengers paying a toll to cross directly between San Diego and Tijuana via a 525-foot pedestrian bridge linking the Airport to a large terminal in Otay Mesa - involves (a) on the U.S. side construction of the terminal in Otay Mesa and the bi-national bridge, and (b) on the Mexican side adapting Tijuana Airport's facilities so that they will connect to the bridge (the process of which has already begun). The project is hoped to be completed by June 2014.
Carretera Aeropuerto S/N Col. Nueva Tijuana
Delegacion Meza de Otay, Tijuana B.C., 22435
- Website for Tijuana: http://aeropuertosgap.com.mx/english/airports/tijuana-airport
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 52 664 607 8200
Tijuana TIJ Services
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Tijuana TIJ Airport Update History
- Updated TIJ Airport Intro page - May 8, 2013
- Updated TIJ Airports page - May 8, 2013
- Updated TIJ Food & Stores page - Mar 11, 2013
- Updated TIJ Direct Flights page - Mar 5, 2013
- Updated TIJ Main Terminals page - Jan 30, 2013