Amsterdam Schiphol Airport Overview
The Netherland's premier Airport, AMS serves its largest City Amsterdam and surrounding areas and functions as an international transfer airport. It considers itself to be a small city - not merely just an airport.
Amsterdam Airport Awards
- 'Best European Airport'
- Ranked among the top three airports worldwide
- Several awards for its innovative South Baggage Hall Two
- Executive Travel Magazine’s 'Leading Edge Award' as best international airport for quality, leadership, customer orientation & vision
Airport Facts & Stats
AMS Airport is located in the municipality of Haarlemmermeer - 9 km southwest of the capital city of Amsterdam. The A-4 motorway, at the Schiphol exit, will lead you via large 'Departures' or 'Arrivals' signs to the Airport complex.
With six long runways and over 64 million passengers annually, Amsterdam Schiphol Airport is served by numerous airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe and by charters.
The new Rental Car Center is at Schiphol Plaza, with rental car desks for Avis/Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz & Sixt.
Schiphol Airport has one large passenger terminal with six 'piers' /concourses. For Terminal details at this site open ‘Terminal Map’ and scroll down to the text; for ground transportation open ‘Ground Transportation: /Buses & Trains.
- Passengers flying with BMIbaby, Flybe, EasyJet, Jet-2 or Air Berlin most likely depart from Gates H or M - check your boarding pass. Once the flight info screens indicate 'boarding' (40 mins prior to departure), you can proceed to your gate. Note that the pier (Concourse) has no restaurants, bars or shops.
- Premium or Privium card holders: Use the new Premium passageway between carpark P2 and Corridor BS (when departing from Piers B & C) - open 6am-10pm - saving you considerable time!
- Transfer desk locations: Follow the Transfer Desk signs. All Skyteam member airline transfer desks are at Terminals 2, 4 or 6 - all others are at Terminals 3, 5 or 9. KLM passengers may also use the self-service machines with on-screen instructions.
Airport Recent News
- Construction of a new terminal and pier: The new terminal - to be located south Schiphol Plaza (next to the Control Tower) is to be connected to the current terminal, and is to accommodate 14M passengers annually. It will also provide a new flexible pier & additional gates for wide-bodied aircraft. Terminal completion is scheduled for 2023; Pier completion is set for 2019.
- With the development of a new pier and terminal, the infrastructure of access roads and parking facilities will need to be modified drastically. To obtain improved accessibility, investments are made in the public transport hub, Schiphol Plaza and the Jan Dellaertplein - and include the renovation and expansion of the train & bus stations, a new parking garage and expansion of the drop-off roads.
NOTE: To relieve Schiphol Airport's congested air traffic - the Lelystad Airport expansion is to turn it into a center for charter & budget airlines.