On-airport car rental at BWI Marshall
The car rental facility at BWI Marshall is located at New Ridge Road, which is on the west wide of the terminal buildings and a stone’s throw away. Here you’ll find major car rental providers like Thrifty Rental Car, Hertz, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Alamo Rent A Car and Dollar Car Rental. There’s also off-airport car rental from many of the same providers at Glen Burnie, just to the east of the airport ̶ prices between locations can vary so it pays to shop around. Popular cars to rent at BWI include models like the Kia Rio, which costs just $29.91 a day if you book ahead of time, the Toyota Corolla, which is a little roomier and costs $32.85 a day off-season, and the Mazda Cx-5, a slick SUV that’s only $42.53 a day. Whether you prefer a small car for cruising around the city or a larger vehicle for exploring further afield, you won’t have a problem finding the perfect ride at BWI Marshall.
Downtown car rental in Baltimore
If it’s more convenient to rent a car in downtown Baltimore, you can find Baltimore car rental deals from many of the same major car rental providers, including Budget, Avis, Dollar, Alamo, and Enterprise and you’ll have no problems finding a vehicle that’s ideal for your requirements ̶ with vast and diverse rental fleets, there’s everything from compact models like the Kia Soul to spacious seven-seat wagons like the Chevrolet Tahoe on offer.
Baltimore is a bustling port city with a proud working class tradition combined with a confident, outward-looking contemporary culture. Whether you’re strolling along the cobbled streets of historical Fells Point near the port, sampling street food at one of the many trendy food courts or lounging in a chic hotel, you’ll also be struck by the warm welcome you receive from locals ̶ Baltimore always lives up to its ‘Charm City’ nickname. There’s plenty to see and do in B-more, for instance you can stroll around the gorgeous 10-acre Federal Hill Park and enjoy panoramic views of the city, sample the sumptuous Belgian-style beer selection at The Brewer’s Art, an authentic retro row home converted into a beautiful bar and restaurant, or explore the independent stores, restaurants and cafes in Hampden, the city’s hipster district.
Tips for driving in Baltimore
About to hit the road in Baltimore? Read these top tips first:
· If you’re visiting from outside the US, remember to drive on the right-hand side of the road in Baltimore.
· The default speed limit on Interstate Highways in Maryland is 65mph, although it rises to 70mph on sections of major roads like the I-70. Urban freeways in the state typically have a 55mph or 60mph speed limit, although the I-95 and I-97 in the Baltimore suburbs have a 65mph limit. There’s a much lower 40mph limit on the I-68 through Cumberland and the I-83 south of North Avenue when you’re rolling into downtown Baltimore.
· Some business and residential areas in Baltimore city have 35mph and 30 mph limits, while the smallest streets (known as ‘alleys’) have a 15mph limit. Speed limits are usually fairly well signposted but please drove with caution nonetheless.
· Winters can be harsh in Baltimore, with an average of more than 20 inches of snow, which makes driving hazardous. If you must travel during this type of inclement weather, be careful, drive defensively, be wary of black ice, ensure your cell phones are charged and carry an ice scraper and de-icer.
Car rental agencies in BWI Marshall
You’re spoiled for choice when it comes to car rental agencies in and around Baltimore/Washington Airport. Here’s a little more background information on a couple of the most popular options:
· Alamo Rent A Car was founded in 1974 and specialises in low-cost rentals and a hassle-free customer experience. As well as its car rental provision in the US, you’ll find Alamo outlets in Canada, Mexico, The Caribbean, Europe, Latin America, the Pacific Rim and Asia. From pioneering the car rental industry’s first real-time online check-in system to thoroughly sanitizing all its fleet vehicles, the customer experience with Alamo is first class.
· Enterprise Rent-A-Car was founded in 1957 and named after the WWII aircraft carrier which founder Jack Taylor served on, the USS Enterprise. From humble beginnings, this firm has grown to a worldwide operation with outlets in more than 90 countries, a 2 million vehicle fleet, and 10,000 branches with 100,000 employees. It’s safe to say that if you rent a car from Enterprise, you can expect a customer service experience which has delighted generations of Americans and customers from all around the world.
· Other popular options include well-known brands: Budget, AVIS, Thrifty, Hertz and Dollar.
As excellent as Alamo and Enterprise are, you’ll find many more car rental options at BWI ̶ there are outstanding options to satisfy every taste and budget.
Top road trips from Baltimore
Baltimore is a great base for exploring Maryland and beyond. Here are a couple of road trips which might whet your appetite:
· Ocean City is around two and a half hours from Baltimore and it’s a great place to sample some sumptuous, freshly-caught seafood, stroll along the boardwalk and take a dip in the sea
· Chesapeake City is only an hour’s drive from Baltimore and located on the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal. This scenic position means it’s a lovely place to watch ships pass by as you sit and sip coffee in a chic café, but there’s also some retail therapy available in the eclectic shops too.
· Swallow Falls State Park is a three-hour drive from Baltimore, but it’s worth it for the sublime waterfalls, which include the marvelous Muddy Creek Falls. If you’re a nature lover, this trip is worth filling your gas tank for!
Q: Is it easy to reach downtown Baltimore from BWI Marshall Airport?
A: Yes, it definitely is. Take the MD-295N northeast from the airport and you’ll be in downtown Baltimore in around 20 minutes.
Q: Where do I go to pickup my rental car at BWI?
A: There is a free shuttle bus located at the lower level of the terminal. It takes about 10 mins to reach the rental car facility.
Q: Which direct destinations can I fly to from BWI?
A: You can fly nonstop from BWI to destinations like Albuquerque, Atlanta and Chicago and Dallas, to name but a few direct routes.
Q: How long does it take to get to the BWI rental car center?
A: Its a short 10-min ride, and runs 24/7/365. After 1AM, they run every 25 mins till 5AM.
Q: Which rental car companies are available at Baltimore airport?
A: There are 33 public airports in Maryland, but BWI is the largest and best-connected. It also offers the broadest options for renting cars, with well-known firms such as Avis, Alamo, Hertz and Budget.