BNIA is also gateway to awe-inspiring Niagara Falls and to the great areas north and south of the U.S. border with Canada.
The Airport is located in the town of Cheektowaga, nine miles east of the city of Buffalo, and is accessible off New York Throughway I-90 (exit 51) and the Kensington Expressway (Route 33). It is 90 miles from Toronto, Ontario (Canada).
Buffalo Airport is only 20 mins from the Peace Bridge between Fort Erie, Ont. and Buffalo, NY - the U.S. /Canada border crossing - parking discount coupons are available at Peace Bridge's Duty Free shop.
With 4.8M passengers passengers 2016, and two runways, BNIA is served by major airlines offering nonstop flights to many U.S. cities, with connections around the world.
- Uber & Lyft shared-ride service can be reached by using exit terminal doors closest to carousel 1 of the baggage claim are (follow signs to desginated pickup stops in the hotel shuttle bus lane).
- It is highly recommended that departing passengers arrive in the terminal two hours before their scheduled departure, particularly during the exceptionally busy times of 5-7:30 a.m., 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 3:30-5:30 p.m.
- Canadian travelers: for real time bridge crossing information, call 1-800-715-6722.
- The Military lounge is available at the east side of the baggage claim area on the lower level.
The passenger terminal at Buffalo Niagara Airport houses the Main Gateway concourse. For Terminal details at this site open ‘Terminal Map’ and scroll down to the text; for Parking details, open ‘Parking Map’, for ground transportation open ‘Ground Transportation: /Buses & Trains.
Present and future Airport developments: A $65 grant received by the Airport in January 2017 is to transform the Airport by 2019. Renovation /reconfiguration work is scheduled to start in Fall 2017. The Departue Level East Expansion includes new restroom with nursing room, conference rooms, meeter/greeter concessions space, automated secure exit control, and children's play area. Other upgrades include:
- 4 state-of-the-art baggage carousels;
- new walkway around east & west ends of terminal provide direct access to escalators on baggage claim level.
- expanded storage area for lost or delayed baggage;
- new curbside space at both terminal ends;
- relocation of concessions, including Lake Erie Grill;
- new internal traffic pattern eliminating need of security escorts for visitors to airport offices;
- centralized children's play area;
- new tech center for work space & cellphone charging;
- new protected bus waiting area on lower level.
Upon completion by 2019, arriving passengers will walk through new exits at both east & west concourses.