Buffalo Niagara Airport BUF
Buffalo Niagara Airport Overview
An international airport, Buffalo Niagara Airport is in Cheektowaga, New York. It is owned and operated by the Buffalo metropolitan area, Golden Horseshoe.
BUF is about 11 miles (18 km) east of downtown Buffalo. The airport covers an area of 1,000 acres.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Buffalo Niagara Airport is the third-busiest airport in the state of New York.
- In 2019, the airport served more than 4 million passengers.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Buffalo Niagara Airport is busy during the morning hours between 5:00 am - 6:00 am, and in the afternoon between 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm.
- To account for any possible delays, and TSA security wait times, passengers are advised to arrive 3 hours before an international flight departure, and 2 hours before a domestic flight.
- Before visiting the airport for a flight, please take a look at the BUF Airport Map
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Wait for arriving passengers in the airport’s Free Cell Phone Lot, located just around the corner from BUF on Holtz Road.
- The passengers can be dropped off outside the terminal.
- For Arriving Flights: Arriving flight status provides Buffalo Niagara Airport arrival times, time-to-land, delays, and gate info.
- For Departing Flights: Departing flight status shows scheduled vs actual departure times, map tracking, gate information, and flight delays.
- Book a flight at BUF Airport, to get the best fares at Buffalo Niagara Airport.
Buffalo Niagara Airport comprises of two levels - Upper and Lower. To see the terminal location, and for additional information, please refer to the BUF Airport Terminal Map.
The check-in desks, ticket counters, and departures are at this level.
It is the arrivals level, with baggage claim area and other services such as information desk, rental car counters, etc.
In 2017, a renovation and expansion project began at the Airport’s terminal. The expansion will create secure walkways on the east and west side of the terminal for arriving passengers and relocate the central exit walkway to eliminate bottlenecks with departing passengers on the second floor.
Buffalo Niagara Airport serves various airlines including American Airlines, Delta Connection, United Airlines, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue, and more.
Short-Term & Long-Term Parking
Parking at BUF is available at the terminal. The various parking options at Buffalo Niagara Airport include hourly, daily, long-term, plus more.
Many parking lots offer economical off-site parking near Buffalo Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
Passengers can choose among several options for ground transportation, after arriving at the airport. The various options include car rentals, buses, airport shuttles, etc. Also, many passengers opt for ride services like Lyft, Uber, and Taxis.
Car Rentals can be easily found at the airport. There are many car rental agencies onsite at the airport, some of the well-known providers including:
- National, and more.
They offer the passengers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttles are a great way to travel from Buffalo Niagara Airport. You can easily get a ride to almost any nearby location with the availability of various shuttle services.
Buses & Trains
Public Transportation is available from the BUF Airport to the major nearby locations.
Amenities & Services
To help you have a great stay, Buffalo Niagara Airport provides visitors with different amenities and services including:
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Shoeshine stations, and massage bars.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the airport.
- Currency exchange.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
Address: 4200 Genesee Street, Buffalo, NY 14225, USA
Phone: (716) 630 6000
Buffalo Niagara Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- The airport was opened in 1926 and was known as Buffalo Municipal Airport.
- In 1927, passenger and mail service was started.
- In 1955, the terminal's first expansion, to 11 gates, which tripled the terminal's square footage took place.
- In 1997, a new terminal was opened with 15 gates, and the old ones were demolished to allow expansion.
- At the beginning of the 21st century, Buffalo Niagara International Airport grew with the addition of low-cost carriers Southwest and JetBlue
- In 2006, BUF exceeded the 5 million passengers mark.
- In 2017, a new fire station was completed.
- A major renovation and construction began at the terminal in 2019 and is scheduled to be completed in 2021.
Q: Is Buffalo Niagara International Airport the same as BUF?
A: Yes. While the official name is Buffalo Niagara International Airport, it is also known by its IATA code BUF.
Q: How far is the Buffalo Niagara International Airport from downtown Buffalo?
A: The airport is about 11 miles (18 km) east of downtown Buffalo.
Q: Are there lockers to store important items for a day?
A: No, there are no lockers for storage anywhere at the terminal.
Q: What cities can I fly from BUF?
A: You can fly to many cities from BUF airport. To see where you can fly, have a look at our direct flights page.
Q: Are pets allowed at the airport?
A: Only working service animals or therapy animals are allowed on leashes in the terminal. All other "traveling pets" must be kept in their carriers.
Q: Can I sleep at Buffalo Niagara International Airport?
A: The airport remains open 24 hours a day and passengers are permitted to sleep in the airport. Also, visitors can stay inside overnight. We also recommend these BUF layover ideas.