Cleveland Hopkins Airport CLE
Cleveland Hopkins Airport Overview
Cleveland Hopkins Airport is an international public airport in Cleveland, Ohio. It is owned by the City of Cleveland and operated by the Cleveland Department of Port Control.
CLE covers an area of 1,717 acres (695 ha). It is located 9 miles (14 km) southwest of downtown Cleveland and adjacent to the Glenn Research Center.
Airport Stats & Facts
- Cleveland Hopkins Airport is the largest and busiest airport in Ohio.
- CLE is the 43rd-busiest airport in the United States by passenger numbers.
- Cleveland was the first airport to employ a two-level terminal design separating arrivals from departures.
- The airport offers non-stop passenger service to 54 destinations with 174 average daily departures.
- In 2018, Airports Council International ranked Cleveland Hopkins the most improved North American airport.
Airport Traveling Tips
- To account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays, passengers are advised to arrive at least 1 hour before a domestic flight and 2 hours before an international flight departure.
- Please take a look at the Cleveland Airport Map, before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For any queries, passengers can visit the Airport Information Desk, located in the main terminal, on the ticketing level near the Central Security Checkpoint.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- City taxis and limos are permitted to use the upper and lower roadways for pick-up and drop-off.
- A new drop-off area at the north end of the baggage claim accommodates all hotel and off-site parking shuttles.
- For arriving flights: Arriving Flight Status provides Cleveland airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and CLE airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Cleveland International Airport, book a flight at CLE.
Cleveland Hopkins Airport has one passenger terminal with 2 levels and 4 concourses. For additional information, and to see the terminal location, please refer to the CLE Terminal Map.
Originally known as North concourse, it was opened in 1957 and rebuilt in 1978-79.
It was built in 1954 and rebuilt in 1982-83.
Originally known as "South Concourse", it opened in 1969 and was renovated in 1992.
It was built in 1999 and has been vacant since 2014. all operations are consolidated to Concourse C.
The various airlines served at Cleveland Hopkin Airport include Allegiant Air, JetBlue, Frontier Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Connection, United Express, Delta Air Lines, and more.
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at CLE Airport is available onsite. From Red Lot to blue Lot to Brown lot, plus more, there are several parking options at Cleveland Hopkins Airport.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near CLE Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, buses, and trains. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Car Rentals are a breeze at CLE. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Buses & Trains:
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby.
- RTA's Red Line provides regular service between CLE and downtown Cleveland via the Tower City Station. The trip takes less than 30 minutes,
- and trains depart from CLE every 15 minutes for the majority of the day.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from Cleveland Hopkins Airport. With the availability of various shuttle and van services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Cleveland Hopkins Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Currency Exchange.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
Address: 5300 Riverside Drive, Cleveland, OH 44135, USA
Phone: (216) 265 6000
Cleveland Hopkins Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- Founded in 1925, the airport was the first municipality-owned facility of its kind in the United States.
- In 1951, the airport was named after its founder, former city manager William R. Hopkins, on his 82nd birthday.
- In 1992, the airport completed a $50 million renovation of Concourse C, which housed all of Continental's flights.
- In 1999, the airport completed an $80 million expansion that included the construction of the new Concourse D, which is now closed though.
- In 2010, Continental and United Airlines announced that they would merge their operations.
- On February 1, 2014, United announced that the airline would shut down its hub at CLE.
- In 2015, the airport moved the pick-up and drop off location for most shuttles to the former limo lot.
Q: Is Cleveland Hopkins International Airport the same as CLE?
A: Yes. While the official name is Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, it is also known by its IATA code CLE.
Q: How far is the Cleveland Hopkins International Airport from Downtown Cleveland?
A: The airport is located 9 miles (14 km) southwest of downtown Cleveland.
Q: What cities can I fly from CLE?
A: Being a busy airport, you can fly to many cities from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. Check out our direct flights page to see where you can fly from the airport.
Q: Who provides security at the screening checkpoints at CLE?
A: As with other airports in the United States, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is mandated to provide security at the checkpoints.
Q: Can you sleep at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport?
A: Passengers are permitted to sleep in the airport. It remains open 24 hours a day and visitors can stay inside overnight. We also recommend these awesome CLE layover ideas.
How busy will the airport be at 4am friday morning? [more]lg 02/26/2020
how do I get my heavy bags from the drop off area to [more]budcharlins 10/18/2019
short term parking?
where is short term parking located?rek 10/11/2019
How can I a wheelchair at the shuttle drop off? Or if [more]Nan 08/09/2019