CUR Airport is located near the town of Julianadorp, in the center of Curacao island, and is near Willemstad, which is on the eastern shore, or 40 miles north of Venezuela. It is a secure, comfortable and well-managed Airport.
With an estimated 1.9 million passengers a year, Curacao International Airport is served by frequent flights to/from North and South America, as well as Europe, and is visited by tourists and business travelers alike. American & United are among the airlines serving this Airport.
- Unless your departure fee is included in your airline ticket, you need to pay a departure fee ($32 for international, and $8 for domestic flights).
- Check-in for long-haul flights is 2 hrs before scheduled departure. InselAir offers a self-service check-in booth.
- Passengers boarding or transferring through the airport need to go through security check - irrespective of their destination.
- Automated self-service border control (ABC) eGates allow passengers with a European, Canadian or American e-passport to verify their identity through facial biometrics -expediting the arrival /departure processes. The eight e-gates (2 at departure hall, 6 at arrivals hall) enable passengers to control their own clearance process (authenticating passport and claiming identity through biometric verification).
The new passenger terminal at Curacao Airport, opened in 2006, has just completed its expansion work and air-conditioned both check-in & security areas, added new shops and a Meeting Point area. Information desk are in the check-in area of the Departure Hall (tel. (599 9) 839-1000).
The Ground level houses both the baggage claim area and the check-in counters.
The first level houses VIP lounges, security screening, immigration, and the East Hold Room with acces to gates 1 to 3 and West Hold Room with access to gates 4 - 12, in the center of which is the transfer station. Food & drink is available at Cafe Barista & 5-Star Sports Bar. 'Lovers' offers fine food & drink products.
Other services and amenities include a bank branch, ATM machine & currency exchange, WiFi access, workstations (prepaid access cards are available at Cafe Barista); Lost & Found, and shops - Antillean Guilders and US dollars are accepted.
Parking is available in the lot in front of the passenger terminal and offers the first 10 minutes free for passenger pick-up.
From Curacao Airport you can rent a car or take a taxi to your end destination.
Present and future Airport developments: Ongoing work on a $35M terminal expansion project - done in two phases and involving extension of western terminal, a new arrivals hall, a new gate at the departures hall, increase of passenger holdroom, a new jet bridge for larger aircraft, and new retail outlets.
- In August 2017 the BES-Reporter informed that ongoing expansion includes a bridge connecting new Terminal to the old one, while the departure lounge has been extended. The expansion project creates more seating capacity and more gates for aircraft. The current VIP lounge is being 'drastically' expanded & upgraded and new retail and food outlets are being added.. Upon completion by April 2018, the terminal will have a capacity of 2.5M passengers annually.
- Other improvements until 2018 include runway upgrade, the renovation of the Hato Handling, and adding a General Aviation Center.