With two very long runways and 35.2M passengers in 2016, Mueang Airport is hub to Thai AirAsia, Thai Air Asia X, Orient Thai, Nok Air, Thai Lion Air & Thai Smile airlines, and is served by a number of international airlines. Currently DMK serves twice as many domestic passengers as it serves international ones.
Don Mueang Airport is now the world's largest low-cost-carrier (LLC) airport with an LCC fleet of nearly 100 aircraft.
- On-Airport Amari Don Muang Hotel is opposite of the Terminals - a five-minute walk via overhead passage way (and a 45 minute drive to Suvanabhumi Airport).
- The 25 new 'Sleep Boxes DMK' are available inside of Terminal 2 (with basic accommodations). at reasonable prices.
Don Mueang International Airport has two passenger terminals: T1 (international) and new T2* (domestic). For Terminal details at this site open ‘Terminal Map’ and scroll down to the text; for ground transportation open ‘Ground Transportation: /Buses & Trains.
- Transfer passengers to Suvarabhumi Airport may take the free shuttle bus at Gates 6-8 inbound platform.
- Airport rush hours are between 5am-7am & 3pm & 7pm - when special staff now will be at hand to assist passengers.
- Current long lines at immigration counters are the result of too many passengers arriving at the same time. Currently, there are 30 outbound immigration counters, of which 4 are for Thai nationals, one for airport staff & cabin cew, 2 for children, elderly & pregnant women, and diplomats. Pending AoT's approval, some shops will be relocated - making room to extend the immigration area to relieve current long waiting lines.
- Checked baggage x-ray will be done after passenger check-in, while carry-ons will go through x-ray at post-security - relieving long passenger lines.
* What some passengers had to say about new Terminal 2:
- T2 has been completely renovated and is stunning. Domestic flight check-ins are smoother with plenty of space. However, passengers still have to 'jump through hoops' to get access to WiFi.
- Currently there are not enough taxis (taxis have to go to the arrivals counter to pick up passengers, slowing down the taxi line outside. If you don't carry too much baggage, it is suggested that you take the bus in front of Arrivals, getting you to the subway station. The whole trip would only take 15 minutes longer, but at a fraction of the taxi price.
Present and future Airport developments. While current yearly overall passenger capacity is only 30M (2016 passenger count was 35.2M), a third phase of expansion should start has started, or will start soon, with the aim to increase capacity to 40M and flights to 50 per hour by 2025.