Atlanta International Airport is one of the busiest and most efficient airports in the world. It is named after former Atlanta mayors William B. Hartsfield & Maynard Jackson. It is located 7 miles (11 km) south of Downtown Atlanta District.
ATL can handle three simultaneous landings and offers over 200 nonstop destinations. One third of these are international. It serves Atlanta and Fulton & Clayton Counties in the U.S. State of Georgia. It is the busiest airport in the country and serves as a major transfer point for flights from/to smaller US cities.
Airport Stats & Facts
ATL Airport is the busiest airport worldwide since 1998. It sits on the former Atlanta Speedway site, and now is home to the headquarters of Delta Airlines.
On average, 275,000 passengers use the airport each day, amounting to over 100M travelers per year. About 60 thousand people are directly or indirectly employed by the airport, making Atlanta Airport Georgia's number 1 employer.
Daily, there are approximately 2,700 arrivals or departures, serving more than 150 U.S. destinations as well as over 75 international destinations.
There is even a dog park with 1 thousand ft square of space for animals in transit, as well as service animals.
Maps, Airlines & Amenities
- 2020 Airport Service Quality Awards (ASQ) for "Best Airport By Size and Region (over forty million passengers annually in North America)" as well as "Best Hygiene Measures By Region (North America)". The ASQ Departures program, which was awarded by Airports Council International in (ACI), has been the benchmark for airport passenger satisfaction. It now includes nearly 400 airports from 95 countries. This year marks the debut of the Hygiene Measures category.
- 2017 - Global Efficiency Excellence Award for the 14th year in a row by the Air Transport Research Society ATRS.
- 2017 - Best Airport Dining Award by Global Travel Magazine.
- 2016 - World’s Busiest Airport 19th year by Airports Council International.
- 2015 - Top US Airport for Transit Access by Global Gateway Alliance.
Airport Traveling Tips
- Airport peak hours are morning hours and holidays.
- Arrive 2 hours( peak travel time 2.5 hours) before an international flight departure and 90 minutes before a domestic flight departure to account for ATL airport security wait times and any possible flight delays.
- Prior to leaving your house to catch your flight- take the following steps:
- 1. Contact your airline 72 hours prior to scheduled departure to confirm your flight, as non-confirmation empowers your airline to cancel your reservation.
- 2. Make sure that your name on the passport matches the name on the ticket.
- 3. Take a few minutes to look at the Atlanta Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- 4. To get to the Domestic Terminal (on I-85/75 southbound through downtown Atlanta), use exit 242.
- 5. To get to the International Terminal and I-75, use exit 239. ATL is also directly accessible via the MARTA's Red/Gold rail line.
Five steps from check-in to boarding using technology:
1. If traveling with a handbag only: check-in at home online with your airline; on Arrival at the Airport proceed directly to security control.
2. Attach the baggage tag to your checked bag, then proceed to the baggage drop machine (look at screens for location) using the scanner to scan your bags.
3. At E-Gates past security control - scan your boarding pass and proceed to security control.
4. Passengers heading to a non-Schengen destination or foreign airports, use the Passport scanner: put passport into the scanner and stand on the marked spot for camera view. Remove first glasses, hat, while a photo is taken.
5. At the boarding gate use the e-boarding kiosk: place a boarding pass onto the scanner, then proceed to board your plane.
- TSA & American Airlines together implemented a new screening technology with automated security screening lanes (ASCL) & CT scanners - reducing security screening time by nearly 30 percent.
- Clear offers the latest biometric screening service.
- Eligible passengers may use the MPC (Mobile Passport Control) app, which can be downloaded free from Apple APP or Google Play Stores, or over the Airport's free WiFi system.
- Customer Service can be reached at 1-800-897-1910 / fax 1-404-530-7384.
- For arriving flights: ATL arriving flight status provides arrival times, delays, time to land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: ATL departing flight status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and SEA airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Atlanta airport, book a Flight at ATL.
Atlanta Georgia Airport has two Main Terminals:
1. Domestic Terminal (TD) - Concourses A, B, C, D, and T.
2. Maynard Jackson International Terminal - Concourses E and F. This terminal is 1 mile from the Domestic and is connected by free underground Plane Train serving all domestic and international terminal and concourses.
The Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta Airport serves various airlines like Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, United Airlines and many more.
View the full list of airlines served at ATL Airport.
The passengers have several transportation options after arriving at the airport for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, buses, and trains. In addition, many passengers also utilize cab services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Buses & Trains
The passengers can opt for bus services to go to their destination. Atlanta's MARTA Buses and their many routes are listed on their bus schedule (https://www.itsmarta.com/bus-schedules.aspx) - or e-mail: email@example.com.
Atlanta’s MARTA Trains are very efficient, check out the train schedule or contact the Customer Service at 404-848-5000 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Airport Shuttle Services can be used to travel anywhere from the ATL airport. There are many different shuttle and transfer services, you can easily get a ride to any nearby location.
Airport Car Rentals
Car Rentals can be easily found at the Atlanta Airport. There are numerous car rental agencies onsite at the airport and well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Amenities & Services
To make your stay enjoyable, the Hartsfield Jackson ATL Airport provides visitors with different amenities and services:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoe shine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- After passengers leave the aircraft, a corridor guides them to escalators down to the arrivals level.
- People can wait in the arrivals hall to meet the passengers arriving aboard international flights at concourses E and F. The ground transportation area, passenger pickup curb, and hourly parking facility are just outside the arrivals hall.
The Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport is owned by the City of Atlanta and operated by the Atlanta Department of Aviation.
Address: 6000 N Terminal Pkwy, Atlanta, GA, 30320, United States
Phone: (800) 897-1910
Did you lose an item at the airport? Lost and Found
Atlanta Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- April 16, 1925, Mayor Walter Sims signed a five-year lease on 287 acres abandoned auto racetrack named the Atlanta Speedway. As a part of the agreement, this land was renamed Candler Field after its former owner’s family including Coca Cola tycoon, Asa Candler.
- In 1948, Candler Field was renamed as Atlanta Municipal Airport.
- In 1957, Atlanta became the busiest airport in the world with more than two million passengers passing through.
- On September 21, 1980, a new terminal opened which covered an area of 2.5 million square feet and was designed to accommodate up to 55 million passengers per year.
- In 1999, the Development Program was established by Hartsfield Jackson’s leadership, known as Focus On The Future, which involved various construction projects with the goal to handle a projected demand of 121 million passengers in 2015.
- On October 20, 2003, the airport was renamed Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport to honor former mayor Maynard Jackson.
- The airport is the largest employment center in Georgia and employs around 55,300 airlines, concessionaires, the federal government, City of Atlanta, and airport tenant employees.
- On March 10, 2016, the final 20-year plan was finalized which included modernization of existing terminals, extension and expansion of concourses, a new park-and-ride lot, and more.
- In 2019 (pre-covid), the ATL airport served over 110 million passengers.
Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta Airport Q&A
I am picking my husband up at 7:30pm tonight from Delta flight. Where is the best place to meet him? I noticed things have changed around quite a bit
By Susan - Thursday, 13 January, 2022, 7:27 PM[Answered By: iFly staff]
For passenger pickup at Atlanta airport, your best bet is to park in the cell phone waiting area, located on S. Terminal Parkway. Once your passenger has cleared security and has claimed baggage, have them call you, and pickup curbside outside the arrivals area.
where do I go to claim my checked bags on Delta flight 1976 from Bahamas to Atlanta
By Denise - Saturday, 8 January, 2022, 8:04 PM[Answered By: iFly staff]
To see where your baggage claim area is located, check the arrival boards located throughout ATL's terminals. Baggage pickup is usually located in the terminal where your flight arrives into.
Hello, Are there printers available to print health visa's if a person COVID test is late coming back? My wife and I are scheduled to leave for the Bahamas in a few weeks and with the surge, test results are delayed. We are thinking if we can get the test and are awaiting results to fly to Atlanta and if the results don't clear looking for a flight to Miami/Ft L, or renting a car and driving. Thanks.
By Lance LaJoy - Thursday, 6 January, 2022, 12:27 AM[Answered By: iFly staff]
where do I park to pick up arriving passengers to concourse E?
By David - Sunday, 2 January, 2022, 5:27 PM[Answered By: iFly staff]
The best option to park while you pick up passengers is to use the hourly ATL parking lot, located directly across from Terminal North.
How long does it take to get from the Domestic Terminal to Concorse E?
By graham bigelow - Wednesday, 29 December, 2021, 6:36 AM[Answered By: TH]
Getting to ATL's domestic (A, B, C, D, &T) and international concourses (E & F) is fast and easy. Simply hop on the automated Plane Train, which loops 24/7 through all terminals at 2-minute intervals.
Follow the signs in the terminals to the lower level (0). Most concourses are about a quarter-mile from each other, meaning each stop is only a few minutes from the prior stop.
Is there a smoking area in Atlanta Airport?
By James Walker - Thursday, 18 November, 2021, 3:40 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
No, Atlanta Airport, like many airports in the United States, is a smoke-free facility.
Do you have to park to drop people off?
By Betty Johnson - Wednesday, 17 November, 2021, 9:26 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
No, you can drop passengers curbside, but you must stay with your vehicle at all times.
What gate is the tram closest to in Terminal C & D?
By Diane - Wednesday, 17 November, 2021, 4:17 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Check out the Atlanta Airport Terminal Map, you will be able to see the tram (runs down the middle) with respect to the C and D gates.
My itinerary shows arriving at Terminal T-S from RDU and then departing from Terminal T-I to LHR. Do you have a map showing where these terminals are?
By Eddie Conlon - Wednesday, 17 November, 2021, 2:32 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Do you have a free phone lot to park at for picking up passengers?
By Tom - Wednesday, 17 November, 2021, 11:48 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Yes Hartsfield-Jackson has a 160 space free cell phone waiting lot, located along the South Terminal Parkway.
Can you get Uber on F Concourse?
By Sheila - Tuesday, 16 November, 2021, 11:16 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
As of November 15, 2021, rideshare services including Uber and Lyft have been relocated to a dedicated area outside the North Parking Garage. Travelers arriving at the south terminal will be directed toward the north terminal. Travelers will need to take an escalator/elevator to the lower level and walk towards the parking decks.
How to get to Turkish Airlines from Southwest?
By Nargiza - Tuesday, 16 November, 2021, 6:38 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Southwest Airlines typically uses Concourse C, but we suggest you use the real-time flight tracker to confirm your arrival gate. International Terminal is Concourse F, where Turkish would depart. To get from C to F, take the train between the concourses. This will take approx 10 minutes. You can also walk, double that time to 20 minutes.
Can someone tell me if Gate A1 is close to Gate B12?
By Christine - Tuesday, 9 November, 2021, 5:24 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
How is the ventilation in the Atlanta airport terminals? How many air exchanges per hour?
By Marcia - Sunday, 7 November, 2021, 1:11 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Where is the closest parking lot if traveling out of ATL on Alaskan Airlines ?
By Denise Calloway - Tuesday, 2 November, 2021, 12:09 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
What is the best way to go from Delta domestic to International Terminal?
By Sharon Taksel - Monday, 1 November, 2021, 8:26 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Is there an Apple store at Atlanta Airport?
By Mercedes - Monday, 1 November, 2021, 5:58 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Is there an airport shuttle from Atlanta Airport to Chatanooga TN airport? How often does it run?How much does it cost? How long does it take?
By Elizabeth Auffenberg - Thursday, 28 October, 2021, 11:06 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Where is the "International" terminal (F) & parking located on the field?
By Phillip A. Pahl - Thursday, 28 October, 2021, 9:03 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Where can I get covid test at Atlanta Airport?
By Sandy - Wednesday, 27 October, 2021, 9:59 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Where is baggage claim?
By David Reid - Wednesday, 27 October, 2021, 11:12 AM[Answered By: iFLy Staff]
Where is the clock tower located?
By Shannon - Wednesday, 27 October, 2021, 10:24 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Our Delta Skycaps back in service at Hartsfield Jackson Airport
By Matt - Tuesday, 26 October, 2021, 7:28 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Where is Terminal N for Spirit Airlines?
By George Brogdon - Tuesday, 26 October, 2021, 6:56 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
If it is allowed, what is the process for meeting someone at arrival gate for pickup?
By SUSAN - Tuesday, 26 October, 2021, 5:09 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Is there a currency exchange facility at the airport?
By Veronica Bartosik - Monday, 25 October, 2021, 2:18 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Hi! Can we park at the Park Ride overnight? We have a week long trip and would like to know if we can leave our car there for a week?
By Joy - Sunday, 24 October, 2021, 1:19 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
What are the hours of operation for security to get to the terminals?
By Charles Barton - Saturday, 23 October, 2021, 10:46 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Where do I get a taxi after arriving tonight at 2:30 AM from Frontier Air?
By Kathy Walker - Monday, 18 October, 2021, 1:23 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Where is the Southwest Airlines Terminal?
By Elaine - Monday, 18 October, 2021, 1:19 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
How do I get a wheelchair assistance from car rental skytrain to Southwest terminal?
By Elaine - Monday, 18 October, 2021, 12:25 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Where is the cellphone parking area?
By Patty Gleeson - Sunday, 17 October, 2021, 10:06 PM[Answered By: iFLy Staff]
Where is the clear me enrollment facility at Atlanta Airport?
By Steve - Sunday, 17 October, 2021, 9:08 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
What restaurants are available in the Southwest Airlines Terminal?
By Claudette - Sunday, 17 October, 2021, 9:06 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Is there a Bank of America ATM in Atlanta Airport?
By Gabriela Garcia - Sunday, 17 October, 2021, 7:10 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Where is Delta Airlines curbside baggage check in at ATL?
By Mark - Sunday, 17 October, 2021, 2:01 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
I have a international flight to Turkey. Where should I be dropped off to have access to a luggage cart?
By Rebe - Sunday, 17 October, 2021, 1:15 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
I am arriving at gate D15 and my connecting flight is leaving from Gate A5, how long will it take me? I only have 30 minutes, do I have to get on a tram?
By Diane Degenhart - Saturday, 16 October, 2021, 5:20 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Where is Starbucks on terminal T?
By Lori - Friday, 15 October, 2021, 9:04 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
I am flying into ATL on Southwest 2467 and 40 mins later leave on SW 1650.I have a disability and am wondering if I need to request a ride from one to another?
By Robert S Hand Jr - Thursday, 14 October, 2021, 8:10 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
What exit number from I-75 do I take for the international terminal at Atlanta Airport - and where would I park to go into the terminal with my wife and to help her check in. She's on a flight to France and then to Florence , Italy?
By Ed D Watkins - Saturday, 9 October, 2021, 2:55 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Could you please give specific directions on how to get to the skytrain, following the signs posted in the airport has not been effective we visited in Dec 2020 and Oct 2021, are going back tonight and need help because we will be close on time getting to the rental car center before it closes.
By Marie - Friday, 8 October, 2021, 2:01 PM[Answered By: ATL Staff]
Is there a place to get a PCR test for Covid and a quick turnaround for results inside the airport?
By Rebecca - Friday, 8 October, 2021, 1:49 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Should my TSA precheck be listed on my boarding pass?
By Patricia Hawkins - Wednesday, 6 October, 2021, 10:05 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
I am flying to Europe next week. My flight originates in Augusta, GA and connects through Atlanta. I need to find an ATM to withdraw Euros. Please tell me the location of ATMS to withdraw Euros and whether I need to exit the terminal to access the ATM and go through security again.
By Linda - Tuesday, 5 October, 2021, 6:27 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Is there still a group of taxis waiting for passengers at the airport, or should I book one ahead of time?
By Wendy - Tuesday, 5 October, 2021, 11:47 AM[Answered By: ATL Airport Staff]
Where will I park to pick up passenger from Delta Airlines?
By M Juneau - Tuesday, 5 October, 2021, 3:33 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
How can I request a wheelchair to get to a terminal gate?
By Michael Meehan - Tuesday, 5 October, 2021, 12:48 AM[Answered By: ATL Airport]
I have 45 minutes between flight landing and next flight. I am coming in at gate B31 and leaving from Gate D41. Do I have enough time?
By Mary-anne - Monday, 4 October, 2021, 8:26 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
How do I get from Delta arrival to an Alaska Airlines departure?
By Michele Ragazzo - Monday, 4 October, 2021, 4:11 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
I arrive tomorrow on Southwest flight into Domestic Gate C6 and departing Delta at International Terminal Gate E27. I am carrying baggage. May I get a boarding pass at Delta International Terminal Gate E27?
By Rebecca - Monday, 4 October, 2021, 3:23 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
I had to park in hourly parking because the economy lot was full. Do I have to still pay hourly rates for 9 days of parking?
By Sonja L Henderson - Monday, 4 October, 2021, 3:18 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Where is the Greyhound bus location at ATL?
By Marvin - Sunday, 3 October, 2021, 3:59 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Are there offices to rent by the hour?
By Vlh howell - Saturday, 2 October, 2021, 8:46 PM[Answered By: ATL Airport Staff]
Where do I meet a domestic arriving passenger?
By mark - Friday, 1 October, 2021, 9:26 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Are there curbside check in locations on south terminal lower level?
By John Miller - Friday, 1 October, 2021, 2:37 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
I’m getting off plane Delta Airlines In Atlanta how do I get to south west baggage claim?
By David Johns - Friday, 1 October, 2021, 7:46 AM[Answered By: iFly Staff]
Where do I park for a passenger pickup coming in from Seattle on Alaska Airlines? I do not want to get out of my vehicle.
By Sue - Tuesday, 21 September, 2021, 10:37 PM[Answered By: JFK Airport Staff]
Where are smarte cartes located at ATL Airport?
By Anne - Monday, 20 September, 2021, 5:37 PM[Answered By: iFly Staff]