If you are visiting the city of La Paz, be prepared for the high altitude and cold nights (coco tea will help you adjust to the altitude). La Paz is truly worth a visit--it has a rich culture, wonderful museums, old churches, outdoor markets with colorfully-dressed natives offering their Andean goods speaking ancient Aymara, Quechua & other Indian languages - while Spanish are the main languages spoken in La Paz.
LPB Airport is located in the Andean town of El Alto, and is 25 minutes from city center of La Paz, the legislative capital of Bolivia, South America. While La Paz is at 3,600 meters above sea level, El Alto is 4,061 meters above sea level.
With two runways (including the main runway with 4,000 meters), El Alto International is served by domestic airline Boliviana de Aviacion (BoA), and by someforeign airlines - offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
- Passengers departing on an international flight at La Paz Airport need to pay a departure tax of about $25.
- US citizens will need a tourist visa - see http://bolivia.usembassy.gov/information-on-bolivian-visas.html
- Passengers heading to La Paz City have a choice of using the new cable car system or taking a taxi - the latter of which will take three times longer.
The passenger terminal at La Paz El Alto, which received renovation and extension work in recent years, offers the following amenities and services: Free WiFi access is only accessible at landside (connect to 'SSID LPZ'). Mobile charging is available at airside. ATM machines in the main hall accept Visa, Master Car, American Express, Electron, Maestro, Cirrus,etc. Currency exchange is available at international Arrivals, Door 1. A duty-free shop is in the departure area. Bookstore, cafes & fast-food establishments are in different areas of the terminal. Food and drink is available at landside only and includes Cafe Alexander, Burger King, Dolce, Espresso & the Mirador Restaurant. You can store your luggage at domestic arrivals, and tourist information desks are located in both the domestic and international departure areas.
Emergency medical service and a small pharmacy are available at international arrivals.
Airport & Airline Lounges at La Paz El Alto:
- The Airport VIP lounge is near international gate 2, accessible by either Priority Pass holders or by any paying passenger.
- The American Airlines VIP lounge is in the international departure area.
Sleeping at El Alto: Transfer passengers may consider the new 'Onkel Inn' - a sleepbox hostel (signs are on the ground level) - with a choice of Dorm ($37) or private ($44) accommodations.
Parking: Long- and short-term parking is available close to the passenger terminal.
Phone: +591 2 2157300