The Airport is centrally located near the village of Brnik and 19 km north of Ljubljana (a 30-minute ride via E64), or 11 km south of Kranj on the road between Kranj & Menges. It is accessible via the highway exit off the A2 motorway or Road 104.
With a long runway and 1.4 million passengers in 2016, Ljubljana Airport is a hub for the Slovenian flag carrier Adria Airways, and is served by domestic, international, regular & low-fare airlines, as well as charters, offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
The present passenger Terminal 1 at Ljubljana Airport, with airline gates 1 - 13, occupies floor levels - 0, 1 & 2 :
- The ground level is divided into departures (with check-in facilities and security check) and into arrivals with passport check, Customs and baggage claim. This level leads to/from all gates. by escalators & elevators.
- the first level is a departure level with security check and access to airbridges leading to gates 1 - 4.
- the second level houses the obsevation deck and a bar.
Amenities and services inside the terminal include: An information counter also serving as meeting point in the departure hall next to the passenger registration counter; two regular shops located pre-security and a Travel Value & Duty Free shop in the post-security, Schengen & non-Schengen area. Other shops, as well as food & drink establishments are available throughout the terminal. Strollers for children are free available on level 2 at Departures, near the playground.
Airport Lounges: The VIP lounge for visiting dignitaries, and a business lounge available to select frequent flyers, offering telephones, fax machines, internet access, and more.
The new ‘commercial building’ at the Airport houses a large and well-equipped conference hall and a multi-purpose hall, while the passenger terminal has a large conference room.
The Business Lounge in a quiet departure area, is available to may airline passengers and cardholders.
Current and future Airport developments:
- Renovaton on the current terminal was delayed and is now scheduled to start third quarter 2017. (Some renovations may already be in place). This project includes an additional arrivals & departures gate and clearing space in order to expand commercial & retail areas and improve passenger comfort. 'Bottleneck' problems at check-in & security are being addressed to offer shorter quieuing times. Major renovation thereafter include the expansion of check-in area and baggage handling facilities, while the baggage claim will get added capacity. The terminal is also to get new technology.
- Relocation of the 2,350 meter national road nearby for better access to the passenger terminal and to make room for the development of a commercial and logistics complex to the north may already have been completed.
- Construction of a second 8,700 sq.meter passenger terminal, able handle 1,280 passenger per hour, and to house 22 check-in desks, security lanes, large duty-free shop, commercial area, new premium lounge, and a 2,000 sq.meter baggage sorting facility. The new terminal is tentatively scheduled to open by the 2020 summer season. Upon opening, the current terminal, which then will be connected to the new one, will be in partial use for low-cost & charter carriers.