Airport Maps & Terminal Guide
Getting Around the Airport
The terminal building structure at the TYS airport consists of one main terminal building with two levels: the upper level and the lower level.
The lower level of the main terminal houses a rental car area near the entrance, with access provided for Alamo, Enterprise, National, AVIS, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty, and Dollar. There is an information booth at the center towards the west, and two baggage claim carousels, one each at the east and west side of the terminal building at the TYS airport. Outside, there is an animal service relief area
The upper level of the main terminal houses two ticket counters each to the right and left of the terminal building. The ticket counter to the right is for American and United, while the one on the left is for Allegiant and Delta. A walkway leads to a centralized security checkpoint which provides access to the concourse areas of the terminal.
The airport concourse houses 12 gates, with gate 1-6 on the west and gate 7-12 on the east. There are male and female restrooms on either side of the airport concourse. Mamava lactation pod can be found near gate 7. Delta airlines serve gate 1,3, and 5; Allegiant serves gate 4; United serves gate 7, 9, and 11; and American serves gate 8, 10, and 12.
To get better oriented, see the Tyson Airport Main Terminal Map (TYS Map).
Food, Shops & Amenities
There are many options for shopping and dining around TYS airport. Some notable shops and restaurants include Quiznos Subs, Tennessee Marketplace, and Ruby Tuesday in the post-security area on the upper level; Smoky Mountain Travelmart and Starbucks Coffee Kiosk in the pre-security area on the upper level. Starbucks can be found in both the pre and post-security areas.
The security checkpoints at TYS airport are monitored by the Federal TSA - Transportation Security Administration. Only passengers possessing tickets are allowed to proceed beyond any of the security checkpoints. The security checkpoint provides access to the airplane gates.
The hours and wait times estimates for each security checkpoint can be found on the Tyson Airport Security Wait Times Page.
- Arrive 2 hours before flight time in case of domestic flights, and 2.5 hours before flight time in case of international flights.
- Most airline ticket counters close up 30 - 45 minutes prior to the departure time
- The terminal building is open around the clock with the security checkpoints opening up two hours prior to the flight time
- A boarding pass or e-tickets are required for checking in past the security checkpoints
- Most airlines allow check-in via e-tickets which can be printed at home. Check with your airline for further details
- Wheelchair assistance from and to the terminal building is available at the TYS airport. You can also call 865-342-3180 in advance
- Get all information regarding baggage sizes, airline schedule, curbside pickup/dropoff, or wheelchairs, prior to reaching the airport
- Free WiFi and plugin stations are available throughout the airport
- In case of lost items:
- Call 865-342-3088 for lost items inside the airport
- Call your airline for lost items inside the aircraft, departure lounge, or at the ticket counters