Located in Moon Township, Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh International Airport is a civil-military international airport. It was formerly known as Greater Pittsburgh International Airport.
PIT is the primary airport serving the Greater Pittsburgh Region and is located about 10 miles (15 km) west of downtown Pittsburgh. It is at an elevation of 1,202 feet (366 m) above sea level and covers an area of 10,000 acres (40.5 km2).
Airport Stats & Facts
- PIT was dubbed the “airport of the future” by the New York Times, and this new airport was one of the most innovative in the world.
- Pittsburgh Airport is the busiest airport in western Pennsylvania and the second-busiest airport in the state.
- The airport became one of the first in the United States to use a new TSA system called Credential Authentication Technology.
- For 4 consecutive years, The Official Airline Guide Worldwide listed PIT on its shortlist of the world's best airports.
- In 2019, the airport served more than 9 million passengers.
- PIT Airport is busy during the morning hours between 11:00 am to 12:00 pm and during the night hours between 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
- To account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays, passengers are advised to arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight and 3 hours before an international flight.
- Before heading to the airport for a flight, take a look at the Pittsburgh International Airport map to get oriented with the terminals and facilities.
- For arriving flights: Arriving Flight Status provides Pittsburgh Airport arrival times, time-to-land, delays, and gate information.
- For departing flights: Departing Flights Status lists scheduled vs actual departure times, map tracking, flight delays, and PIT Airport gate information.
- Flights from PIT airport can be booked directly here.
There are two main buildings at the airport - Landside Terminal and Airside terminal. For additional information and to see the terminal locations, please refer to the Pittsburgh Airport map.
This building is closer to the parking areas and it’s the entry point for passengers whose flights originate from Pittsburgh.
The current landside terminal will be replaced in 2023 with a landside terminal connected directly to the airside terminal where concourses C & D are.
There are 4 concourses and 75 gates (only 56 gates available for use) on the Airside Terminal.
There are 25 gates on this concourse.
There are 25 gates on this concourse. However, only gates B26-B44 are available for use.
There are 11 gates on this concourse. Gates C55 and C57-C61 at the end of the Concourse C are designated to accommodate international flights.
There are 14 gates on this concourse and only 7 are in use.
The various airlines served at the Pittsburgh Airport include Allegiant Air, American Airlines, JetBlue, Delta Connection, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, British Airways, and more. View the full list of airlines served at PIT Airport.
PIT Airport Parking
Short-Term and Long-Term Parking:
Parking at PIT Airport is available at the terminals. There are various parking options at the Pittsburgh Airport to choose from including hourly, daily, long-term parking, plus more.
Short-Term Parking Rates: First hour - $2, Each Additional Hour - $4, and Daily max. - $26.
Long-Term Parking Rates: $3 per hour and Daily max. - $16.
There are many parking lots that offer economical off-site parking near PIT Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
The passengers have several options for ground transportation, after arriving at the airport. For their next destination, they can choose among the various options including airport shuttles, buses, and car rentals. Also, many passengers utilize ride services like Lyft, taxis, and Uber.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are easily available at the airport. There are many car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Some of the well-known car rental providers like Hertz, National, Enterprise, and many more, offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
One of the great ways to travel from Pittsburgh Airport is through Airport Shuttle Services. You can get a ride to almost any nearby location with the availability of various shuttle services.
Buses & Trains
Public Transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Pittsburgh Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Pick up passengers at the arrivals curb directly outside of the baggage claim area, and there is no stopping or waiting with your vehicle at the curbside.
- For dropoff, passengers can be dropped outside the terminal.
Address: Airport Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15231, USA
Contact: [email protected]
Phone: (412) 472 3500 /3525; fax 3636
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Pittsburgh Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- On April 20, 1942, federal agencies began construction of the runways.
- In 1944, Allegheny County officials proposed to expand the military airport with the addition of a commercial passenger terminal.
- On May 31, 1952, Greater Pittsburgh Airport was opened.
- In 1972, the airport was renamed Greater Pittsburgh International Airport, upon the opening of the International Arrivals Building.
- In 1992, the new complex was opened.
- In 2015, February, Allegiant Air commenced service at the airport and has been expanding ever since.
- From September 5, 2017, non-ticketed persons were allowed to access the airside terminals and gates.
- In 2020, American Airlines and Republic Airways parked more than 100 planes at Pittsburgh International after the 2019–20 coronavirus pandemic caused them to cut flights out of their schedules.
- A new terminal is slated to open in 2023.
How to get a wheelchair service at the airport?
Asked by Jim - Mon, 2 May
Call Aviation Safeguards for all airlines except Southwest Airlines and British Airways at 412.472.5854. Call Prospect for Southwest and British Airways passengers only at 412.472.3018.You can also contact an airport Customer Service Representative at 412.472.3525.
May i park in short term garage for two nights?
Asked by anthony DiBucci - Fri, 15 April
While it's unclear if there's a day limit on short terming parking, it is recommended that you park in long-term parking if you will be parking for more then 24 hours.
What time does check-in for baggage start? I have a 5:15 AM flight coming up and I am wondering what time I can check bags.
Asked by Dale Shanefelt - Wed, 23 March
The airport is open 24 hours but the airline counters are not. However, the time the counters open can vary depending on flight schedules, so it's best to check with your airline directly to how early their bag check desk will be open that day.
What gates do Spirit Airlines utilize?
Asked by CHRISTINE KNAPIK - Tue, 22 March
Spirit uses Concourse B. The gates themselves can vary. Fly safe!
Where do I pick up a passenger for an incoming flight via Spirit Air?
Asked by Carol - Sun, 13 March
You can pick them up curbside on the Arrivals level on Terminal B.
What is the website that will track missing luggage?
Asked by Sheila - Mon, 28 February
Please contact your airline directly regarding missing luggage. Good luck!
My luggage did not make it on the plane in time for my flight to Pittsburgh on Friday evening. It states it was loaded on a plane yesterday arriving to Pittsburgh, but no additional updates. I will need assistance in retrieving my luggage
Asked by John - Sun, 27 February
Please contact your airline with assistance regarding lost luggage.
Where do I go to exchange currency at the airport?
Asked by Barbara Van Beveren - Wed, 9 February
Currency exchange is no longer available in most US airports.
Is the parking lot cleared of snow? I am coming in tonight and worried about snow piled behind the car, from plowing. Is it easy to get out of parking lot?
Asked by Sharon M. Hill - Thu, 3 February
Snow removal operates 24/7 even during storms. There's no way to actually check in real-time, however, you are not likely to have issues. That said if you are coming in during a big storm anything is possible.
Where is the Allegiant Airlines check-in? Close to what other airlines?
Asked by Martha - Mon, 24 January
Allegiant Airlines ticketing counters are located on the southern end of the terminal building (if you are looking from the parking garage this would be the right side of the building). It is near JetBlue and Frontier Airlines ticketing desks.
What is the walking distance from the short term parking to the Southwest airlines ticket counter?
Asked by Stephen Bianchi - Sat, 15 January
It is just a few minutes walk from the parking garage to the ticketing area, as the parking garage is just across the street on Airport Boulevard.
What is the phone number for baggage claim lost and found at PIT?
Asked by Tony Guerrieri - Tue, 4 January
The number is 412-472-3525. This is for lost items anywhere in the airport, including garages, baggage claim, restaurants, security screening, etc). Someone should be able to assist you between 6AM and 9:30PM on most days.
Can you access baggage claim without having a boarding pass?
Asked by Andrew - Mon, 3 January
Yes, in this and most other airports, you can access the domestic baggage claim area directly from the Arrivals area. This will allow you to enter and help arriving passengers with baggage etc. The exception is international arrivals, where luggage is retrieved and must go through customs inspection before exiting to the unsecure area.
What are the fees and taxes added to the long-term parking rate?
Asked by Pandel Collaros - Wed, 15 December
Long Term Parking is free for the first hour, $3 for the second hour, and a $16 daily maximum. The daily maximum is calculated on a 24 hour basis, and all hours over a 24-hour period will be charged at the hourly rate up to the daily max. These prices include all taxes and fees.
What time does the shuttle service run in the extended parking?
Asked by Lisa A Pignatelli - Wed, 8 December
Is there a Roman Catholic Mass available at the airport for travellers who must travel on Sunday?
Asked by Mary Hall - Wed, 8 December
Yes, there's a Chapel loacated Airside at the Mezzanine level. It is open from 6AM to 11PM. There's a Catholic Mass on Sundays at 10AM, and M-F at 9:45AM.
Does Southwest have curbside check in?
Asked by rick - Wed, 17 November
Yes. In fact, only Southwest Airlines offers this service - located on the Public Departures Curb. Please check with Southwest for hours of operation.
How far is it from Allegiant Gates to the baggage area?
Asked by Patricia Smith - Sat, 13 November
Allegiant gates are at the very end of Concourse B. So you would have to walk to center of the terminal building, and then take people moves to the centralized baggage claim area. Allegiant typically uses baggage claim area J. Estimated walk time is 6-10 minutes.