QAIA is located in Zizya, 35 km south of the capital city of Amman, and accessible via Route 15 south from central Amman (the exit is just before Al Jizah); from West Amman take Route 30 south-west, and route 15 south; from the Dead Sea drive north on route 65, turn east into route 40, and turn south onto route 15.
With two long parallel runways and 7.4 million passengers in 2016, Queen Alia International Airport is hub to Royal Jordanian Airlines and is served by a multitude of international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all parts of the globe.
The Airport Information desk can be contacted at +962 6 500 2777.
Hotels in or close to QAIA:
- The new 3-level transit hotel with fully-equipped business area is located at the North Pier.
- The Amman Airport Hotel is located within 5 minutes from QAIA (tel. 00962-6- 445-1000/ fax 445-1029.
- The 'Golden Tulip Transit Hotel' - is 2 km from the terminals (reservation: +962 6 (445 1000; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you need a Visa, be prepared to have the equivalent of US or EUR cash for the fee of JOD 10 (Jordanian money) before standing in line opposite the immigration inspection.
- Signs at the Airport are in Arabic & English.
- The Jordan River Foundation and the Royal Society of Conservation of Nature have formed a partnership, whereby hand-made products by local craftpersons will be offered in the terminal, thereby enabling underprivileged communities who make these products to raise their living standards.
Queen Alia International has a new integrated Passenger Terminal with North & South Piers - opened 2013. Its tessellated roof canopy has a series of shallow concrete domes which extend to provide shading the facades, and branch out from the supporting columns like 'leaves of a desert palm'. Two piers with departure gates run along the two sides of the central building, which houses the main processing areas and shops, lounges & restaurants. Open-air courtyards with plants & trees help filter pollution. Local architecture is evident in the domed roof. With a current capacity of 9M passengers/yr a year, the terminal allows for a further growth.*
The Main Terminal has three levels & a North & South Pier (Concourses) - its Information desks can be reached, 24/7, at the following numbers: South Terminal 1 desk: +962 6-4451739; North Terminal 2 desk: +962 6-4453187.
Level 1 - the Arrivals level - has three entrances to the public area which includes rental car and transportation counters to the left, and offices, banking, bookshop & market to the right; in the center is the Duty-free shop, flanked by 'office' control & 6 baggage carousels behind it.
Level 2 - the Departures level houses the security checks: in the center for International passengers, at both sides of it for Jordanian passengers (E gates), International passengers (F gates) and Jordanian passengers (at both entrances to E & F gates are security checkpoints, transfer desks and access to the piers & their gates.
Level 3 - the Transfer level - has entrance doors 2, 3 & 4; followed by a number of amenities & services and rows of check-in counters on either side. In the back (center) is passport control, security check, duty-free area, access to gates, with food & drink and currency exchange beyond it.
Transfer passengers to either gates 202-216 will turn left, where they find amenities & services, duty-free, and waiting areas;
Transfer passengers to either gates 104-118 will turn right, where they find amenities & services, duty-free and waiting areas.
* NOTE: By August 2016, AIG completed the second phase of the terminal expansion project - adding around 470,000 sq.feet of space, raising maximum passenger capacity to 12M annually - nearly doubling its gates to 25 (17 contact & 8 remote gates). Future plans are to increase capacity by 2032 to 16M annually.