Raleigh Durham Airport, locally known as RDU, is the main airport serving the Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill areas, and the surrounding Research Triangle region of North Carolina. It covers an area of 5,000 acres (2,023 ha).
RDU is located in unincorporated Wake County, but is surrounded by the towns of Morrisville and Cary to the South and by the city of Raleigh to the North and East. The airport is operated by the RDU Airport Authority and is controlled by a board of representatives from the counties of Wake and Durham and the cities of Raleigh and Durham.
Airport Stats & Facts
- RDU has passenger service to 68 cities with an average of over 450 daily departures.
- In 2019, over million passengers traveled through Raleigh Airport.
- According to the FAA, RDU is the 39th largest airport in the U.S. by passenger volume.
Airport Traveling Tips
- RDU Airport is busiest during the weekday morning hours between 4:00 am - 7:00 am.
- Arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the Raleigh Durham Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight to help with orientation.
- For arriving flights: RDU Arriving Flight Status provides Raleigh airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: RDU Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and RDU airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Raleigh Airport, book a flight at RDU airport here.
RDU Airport Terminals
The Airport has two terminals and three concourses. To see the terminal locations and for additional information, please refer to the Raleigh-Durham terminal map.
It occupies the site of the airport’s original terminal, which opened in 1955 and there are 9 gates on Terminal 1.
It occupies the site of the former Terminal C, built between 1985 and 1987. There are 36 gates on Terminal 2, 4 of which are international gates.
Raleigh NC Airport serves various airlines including Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Frontier Airlines, JetBlue, United Airlines, and more.
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at RDU Airport is available at the terminals. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Raleigh Airport.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near RDU Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, and buses. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at RDU. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from Raleigh Durham Airport. With the availability of various shuttle services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Buses & Trains
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. Pickups are outside Terminal 1 and on lower level baggage claim at Terminal 2.
Amenities & Services at RDU Airport
To help you enjoy your stay, Raleigh Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport
- Currency exchange
Address: 2400 John Brantley Blvd., Morrisville, NC 27560, USA
Phone: (919) 840 2123
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
Raleigh Durham International Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- The Raleigh-Durham airport was opened on May 1, 1943.
- Between 1985 and 1987, American Airlines built a terminal at RDU to house a new hub and flew to 38 cities when the hub started in June 1987.
- In late 1993, AA began to consider closing the hub.
- In 2001, the south end of Terminal 1 was extended to include five temporary gates, and they were closed in 2009.
- On October 26, 2008, Concourse C, a ticketing level, and a baggage claim level were opened at Terminal 2.
- In 2011, Concourse D was opened at Terminal 2.
- In 2017, the RDU Airport Authority released its Vision 2040 Master Plan.
How do I book express parking?
Asked by Chuck - Tue, 3 May
Unfortunately, Express Parking is currently closed. Airport guests may park at Premier, Central or Economy 3 instead.
Is there a chick-Fil-a here?
Asked by Brenda - Tue, 26 April
There is no Chick-fil-A at this airport.
Can I meet the passenger at baggage pick-up?
Asked by Beth Tucker - Fri, 8 April
Yes, you are able to meet a passenger at baggage claim after parking your car.
What time does the baggage claim close?
Asked by Sandra Johnson - Wed, 23 March
The airport is open 24 hours, 7 days a week. By extension, so is the Baggage Claim area.
Where should passengers wait to be picked up from the cell phone lot?
Asked by Marcena C Ver Ploeg - Tue, 15 March
For the Cell Phone Parking lot, follow the signs from I-40 to the Cell Lot. There, you can wait with your call and have your passenger call you after they have claimed their bags. Then, you can proceed to the arrivals level of the terminal.
What terminal does United fly into and what terminal does American fly into?
Asked by richard Barnes - Fri, 4 March
Both United and American operate out of Terminal 2 at this airport.
Does the airport have a smoking area?
Asked by Marie - Sat, 26 February
Including all the restaurants and bars, smoking is prohibited in all public areas as the airport is a smoke-free facility. Hence before lighting up the smokers must be at least 50 feet away from airport buildings or inside designated smoking areas.
American Airlines sent my bags to RDU not Fayetteville NC. Can you help me find my bag?
Asked by joy horsley - Fri, 25 February
Is there a Cellphone Lot?
Asked by Francis - Thu, 24 February
Yes this airport offers a complimentary cell phone lot located just a short distance from the terminals. It is across from Advantage Rent-a-Car.
We have clients booked to travel business class on Icelandair this coming August. Is there a VIP lounge?
Asked by INGO - Wed, 23 February
There is an American Airlines Admirals Club, a Delta Air Sky Club, and a United Club. They are all located in Terminal 2.
Which Terminal does Alaska Ailrines use?
Asked by herry - Fri, 18 February
What are the rates for hourly parking?
Asked by John - Mon, 14 February
There are 4 types of parking available, including Premier Parking, Central Parking, Express parking, and Economy parking charging different rates for hourly parking. You can visit the RDU Parking page to know about the rates in detail.