Washington National Airport (DCA) is located in Arlington, Virginia adjacent to the border of Washington, D.C. The airport is just 5 miles from downtown Washington D.C., being the nearest and most convenient commercial airport to the capital.
DCA airport is operated by the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority that serves the National Capital Region around Washington D.C. Due to the small size of the airport, DCA imposes serious constraints on its capacity, and generally, the flights into and out of the airport are not allowed to exceed 1,250 statute miles (2,010 km) in any direction non-stop.
Airport Stats & Facts
- In 2019, Reagan National Airport served over 20 million passengers.
- Terminal A underwent a $37 million renovation that brought a modernized look to the airport.
Airport Traveling Tips
- DCA airport is busy in the afternoons between 2 p.m to 3 p.m.
- The passengers are recommended to arrive at least 2 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays
- Take a few minutes to look at the Reagan Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: DCA Arriving Flight Status provides Reagan airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: DCA Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and DCA airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Reagan National Airport, book a flight at DCA airport here.
The Airport has 3 Terminals - A, B, and C, and 46 gates with jetways. To see the terminal locations and for additional information, please refer to the Washington National Airport terminal map.
It was opened in 1941 and the terminal has 9 gates, numbered 1-9. The airlines operated at this terminal are Air Canada Express, Frontier, and Southwest.
Terminal B and C
Terminal B and C are the newest and the largest terminals of the airport. Both terminals have the same structure and have three concourses.
Terminal B has gates numbered from 10-22, and the airlines operated here are Alaska Airlines, Delta, and United.
Terminal B/C, gates 23-34, houses American and JetBlue Airlines.
Terminal C, gates 35-45, is exclusive to American Airlines.
Reagan National Airport serves as a hub for American Airlines. It also serves various other airlines including Southwest Airlines, Air Canada Express, Alaska Airlines, plus more.
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at DCA Airport is available at all the terminals. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Reagan Airport. Shuttle services are also available on both levels.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near DCA Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, and buses. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at DCA. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from Reagan National Airport. With the availability of various shuttle services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Buses & Trains:
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. It is one of the most economic ways into and out of the airport, depending on the mode (bus or train) and time of the day.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Reagan National Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be picked up from the third (outer) curb outside Terminal A and on the inner curb outside Terminal B/C (upper level). Use designated crosswalks to reach the curb.
- For dropoff, the travelers can be dropped outside of the terminal.
Address: 2401 S. Smith Blvd., Arlington, VA 22202, USA
Phone: (703) 417 8600
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found
Reagan National Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- On June 16, 1941, Reagan National Airport opened, just before the entry of the US into World War II.
- In 1965, a United Airlines Holdroom Complex was built.
- In 1970, a commuter terminal was constructed.
- In 1997, Terminal B/C and the Metro Station were opened.
- The original name of the airport was Washington National Airport.
- In 1998, Congress adopted the present name (Reagan National Washington National Airport) to honor President Ronald Reagan.
- In 2014, a renovation project was completed for Terminal A along with an expanded security checkpoint.
- In 2018, the construction of a new concourse commenced and is projected for completion by 2021.