Washington National Airport (DCA) is located in Arlington, Virginia adjacent to the border of Washington, D.C. The airport is just 5 miles from downtown Washington D.C., being the nearest and most convenient commercial airport to the capital.
DCA airport is operated by the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority that serves the National Capital Region around Washington D.C. Due to the small size of the airport, DCA imposes serious constraints on its capacity, and generally, the flights into and out of the airport are not allowed to exceed 1,250 statute miles (2,010 km) in any direction non-stop.
Top 5 Things To Know About DCA Airport:
- Location: Reagan National Airport (DCA) is located in Arlington, Virginia, just across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. It is the closest airport to downtown Washington, D.C. and is easily accessible by public transportation, taxi, and car.
- Airlines and Destinations: Reagan National Airport (DCA) is served by a number of major airlines, including American, Delta, Southwest, Air Canada Express, Alaska Airlines and United, as well as several regional airlines. The airport is also a hub for American Airlines.
- Amenities: The airport offers a variety of amenities for passengers, including a range of dining and shopping options, free Wi-Fi, and charging stations for mobile devices. The airport also offers a variety of services for travelers, including baggage storage, currency exchange, and a lost and found. There are also three terminals, A, B and C, 46 gates and 9 gates in terminal A are dedicated to Air Canada Express, Frontier and Southwest Airlines.
- TSA Security Requirements: All passengers flying from Reagan National Airport (DCA) are subject to TSA security requirements, including TSA Precheck or CLEAR. Passengers should arrive at the airport at least two hours prior to their scheduled departure time to allow for check-in and security screening.
- Tips for Travelers: To make the most of your time at DCA, it is helpful to know that parking at the airport can be limited and expensive, so consider taking public transportation or arranging for a ride. Also, the security lines can be long, so give yourself plenty of time and arrive early. If you are looking for something to do, you can enjoy the free Wi-Fi and charging stations, the art and historic exhibitions, or shopping and dining options. Be sure to get a window seat...the views of the Capitol Buildings are awesome on a clear day!
Maps, Airlines & Amenities
Reagan National Airport (DCA) Terminals
Airport Stats & Facts
- In 2019, Reagan National Airport served over 20 million passengers.
- Terminal A underwent a $37 million renovation that brought a modernized look to the airport.
More Traveling Tips
- DCA airport is busy in the afternoons between 2 p.m to 3 p.m.
- The passengers are recommended to arrive at least 2 hours prior to the scheduled flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays
- Take a few minutes to look at the Reagan Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: DCA Arriving Flight Status provides Reagan airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: DCA Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and DCA airport gate info.
- To get the best fares at Reagan National Airport, book a flight at DCA airport here.
The Airport has 3 Terminals - A, B, and C, and 46 gates with jetways. To see the terminal locations and for additional information, please refer to the Washington National Airport terminal map.
It was opened in 1941 and the terminal has 9 gates, numbered 1-9. The airlines operated at this terminal are Air Canada Express, Frontier, and Southwest.
Terminal B and C
Terminal B and C are the newest and the largest terminals of the airport. Both terminals have the same structure and have three concourses.
Terminal B has gates numbered from 10-22, and the airlines operated here are Alaska Airlines, Delta, and United.
Terminal B/C, gates 23-34, houses American and JetBlue Airlines.
Terminal C, gates 35-45, is exclusive to American Airlines.
Reagan National Airport serves as a hub for American Airlines. It also serves various other airlines including Southwest Airlines, Air Canada Express, Alaska Airlines, plus more.
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at DCA Airport is available at all the terminals. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options at Reagan Airport. Shuttle services are also available on both levels.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near DCA Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, and buses. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at DCA. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from Reagan National Airport. With the availability of various shuttle services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Buses & Trains:
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. It is one of the most economic ways into and out of the airport, depending on the mode (bus or train) and time of the day.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, Reagan National Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Passengers can be picked up from the third (outer) curb outside Terminal A and on the inner curb outside Terminal B/C (upper level). Use designated crosswalks to reach the curb.
- For dropoff, the travelers can be dropped outside of the terminal.
Address: 2401 S. Smith Blvd., Arlington, VA 22202, USA
Phone: (703) 417 8600
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found
Reagan National Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- On June 16, 1941, Reagan National Airport opened, just before the entry of the US into World War II.
- In 1965, a United Airlines Holdroom Complex was built.
- In 1970, a commuter terminal was constructed.
- In 1997, Terminal B and Terminal C was opened, and the Metro Station were opened.
- The original name of the airport was Washington National Airport, it changed its name to Reagan National Washington National Airport in 1998 to honor President Ronald Reagan.
- In 2014, a renovation project was completed for Terminal A along with an expanded security checkpoint.
- In 2018, the construction of a new concourse was started and it was projected for completion by 2021, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic the completion date may have been pushed out.
What terminal is American Airlines?
Asked by Jonathan - Fri, 21 October
American Airlines is located in Terminal 2.
Is parking free on holidays?
Asked by Singk - Thu, 6 October
Can you park for several days in the garage parking lots?
Asked by Tobi Athanas - Thu, 22 September
There is no minimum or maximum days allowed to park, but you do have to make your reservations ahead of time.
What Terminal and Gate does PSA Airline and American Eagle Fly Out of?
Asked by THOMAS LABBE - Fri, 16 September
We didn't find either of these airlines listed at this airport. Please see list here of airlines that serve this airport.
What terminal does American Airlines use?
Asked by DJ - Mon, 12 September
American Airlines is located in Terminal 2.
Where to wait in car?
Asked by Kim - Fri, 2 September
The cellphone waiting lot is currently closed for construction. The airport requests that you can use Parking Lots 1 and 2 which are free to park in for the first 60 minutes.
Is there a bus to get from one terminal to another when connecting flights>
Asked by Tracy - Wed, 17 August
Yes, there is an on-airport shuttle bus available.
How much is the rate to park in Terminal B for the whole day?
Asked by Melanie - Wed, 10 August
The closest lots to Terminal B would be Lots 1 and 2 and they are $27 per day.
Where are American Airlines terminal gates?
Asked by Ed - Thu, 23 June
American Airlines is located in Terminal 2 between Doors 4 and 5.
What time does American Airline baggage open?
Asked by jessica glass - Thu, 5 May
This really can vary day-to-day based on flight schedules. We recommend contacting your airline directly to see how early you can check-in at the airport. .
Where is the baggage claim for Southwest Arrivals?
Asked by christine oda - Mon, 25 April
Your baggage claim will be on the Arrivals level of Terminal A.
What terminal does American airlines use at Reagan?
Asked by Paul Bidwell - Sat, 23 April
American Airlines operates out of Terminal C at this airport.
What terminal does Southwest flight 486 depart from?
Asked by Bonnie Demars - Tue, 19 April
Southwest flies out of Terminal 1.
How to get from baggage for American to baggage for Delta?
Asked by Victoria Champion - Thu, 7 April
You must contact both airlines about this. It is sometimes possible to check your bag to your final destination on two tickets, but both airlines have to be aware and agree. Good luck!
How do I locate the United Lounge?
Asked by Jimmy - Fri, 18 March
The United Club Lounge can be found post security at Gates 10-22, across from Gate 11.
Where is the parking lost and found?
Asked by Steve Winter - Wed, 16 March
For items lost in the parking lots: contact Reagan National Lost and Found. You can call them at 703-417-0110 or 703-417-0110. Their hours are: Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. They are closed Saturday, Sunday and Federal Holidays.
Where does Alaska airlines arrive?
Asked by Esperanza - Sat, 26 February
Alaska Air operates out of Terminal B at this airport.
Where is Southwest's baggage claim?
Asked by Christina L Connelly - Sat, 26 February
The baggage claims for all airlines will be at the Arrivals Level of each Terminal.
How long can I park at the airport? Is there a limit?
Asked by Cathette - Fri, 25 February
You can park in the long-term parking lot at the Reagan Airport for 30 days, if you need to park for more than 30 days try to contact the airport.
Is there outdoor check-in?
Asked by Patricia Smith - Thu, 24 February
Curbside check-in availability varies from airline to airline. We recommend contacting your airline directly and asking this.
Where is the pickup area for arriving Delta flights?
Asked by nisha - Mon, 21 February
Door 2 at Terminal B/C is the pickup area for arriving Delta Flights.
What terminal is used by JetBlue?
Asked by Ken - Wed, 16 February
What terminal does American Airlines use?
Asked by Alice C Droogan - Sat, 12 February
American Airlines Use Terminal C, gates 35-45. For gaining detailed knowledge you can also visit DCA Airport Terminal and Guide Page.
What is the garage height clearance?
Asked by Shawaun Alexander - Wed, 9 February
7 feet is the garage heigh clearance in one section and 8 feet 2 inches in the other.
Reagan National Airport Q&A
DCA is served by a number of major airlines, including American, Delta, Southwest, Air Canada Express, Alaska Airlines and United, as well as several regional airlines. The airport is also a hub for American Airlines. Due to the size of the airport, flights into and out of the airport are not allowed to exceed 1,250 statute miles in any direction non-stop.
The airport offers a variety of amenities for passengers, including a range of dining and shopping options, free Wi-Fi, and charging stations for mobile devices. The airport also offers a variety of services for travelers, including baggage storage, currency exchange, and a lost and found. There are also three terminals, A, B and C, 46 gates, and 9 gates in terminal A are dedicated to Air Canada Express, Frontier and Southwest Airlines.