San Diego Airport SAN
Also known as Lindbergh Field and by its airport code SAN, San Diego Airport is located 3 miles (4.8 km) northwest of downtown San Diego, California. It covers an area of 663 acres (268 ha). The airport is owned and operated by the San Diego County Regional Airport Authority. SAN airport is the busiest single-runway airport in the United States, and the 3rd busiest single runway in the world.
Airport Stats & Facts
- San Diego Airport serves about 22 million passengers annually.
- The sole SAN airport runway is 9,401 feet long and has a width of 200 feet.
- In 2019, the airport contributed over $12 billion in regional economic impact.
- In 2019, passenger traffic at SAN exceeded 25 million travelers, of which international passengers were more than 1 million.
Airport Traveling Tips
- The airport is the busiest on Monday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Its best to arrive 2 hours before a domestic flight departure and 3 hours before an international flight departure to account for TSA security wait times and any possible delays.
- Take a few minutes to look at the San Diego Airport map before heading to the airport for a flight.
- For arriving flights: SAN Arriving Flight Status provides San Diego airport arrival times, delays, time-to-land, and gate info.
- For departing flights: SAN Departing Flight Status lists actual vs scheduled departure times, flight delays, map tracking, and SAN airport gate info.
- To see flights & fares check here.
The Airport has two terminals. To see the terminal locations and for additional information, please refer to the San Diego Airport terminal map.
- Terminal 1<br>This terminal has 2 concourses, East and West, and has 19 gates, numbered 1-18 and 1A.
- Terminal 2<br>Terminal 2 also has 2 concourses, East and West. There are 32 gates, numbered from 20-51.
SAN Airport serves as a large hub for Alaska Airlines and Southwest Airlines. It also serves various other airlines including Allegiant Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, JetBlue, and more.
Short-term and Long-term Parking:
Parking at SAN Airport is available onsite. From hourly and daily parking to long-term parking, there are several parking options. All parking lots offer free shuttle service.
Many parking lots offer affordable off-site parking near San Diego Airport. Most of the off-site parking lots allow 24/7 access.
After arriving at the airport, passengers have several options for ground transport to their next destination. Some of the transportation options include airport shuttles, car rentals, buses, and trains. In addition, many passengers also utilize ride services like Uber, Lyft, and taxis.
Airport Car Rental
Car Rentals are a breeze at SAN. There are multiple car rental agencies onsite at the airport. Hertz, Enterprise, National, and other well-known car rental providers offer airport travelers a large variety of vehicles to choose from.
Airport Shuttle Services are a great way to travel from the San Diego Airport to all points in the vicinity. With the availability of various shuttle and van services, you can get a ride to almost any nearby location.
Buses & Trains:
Public transportation is available from the airport to all major areas nearby. Shuttle Vans and buses are available at the Transportation Plazas across from Terminals 1 & 2, and at curbside at the Commuter Terminal.
Amenities & Services
To help you enjoy your stay, San Diego Airport provides visitors with many different amenities and services including:
- Restaurants, cafes, and bars.
- Stores, gift shops, and local souvenir shops.
- Shoeshine stations and massage bars.
- Multiple art installations and exhibits on display.
- Free Wi-Fi internet throughout the entire airport.
- Currency exchange.
Passenger Pickup and Drop-off
- Visitors can wait in the waiting area to pick up the arriving passengers.
- Travelers can be dropped off curbside at both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.
Address: 3225 N Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, USA
Phone: (619) 400 2404
Have you lost an item at the airport? Lost & Found.
San Diego Airport: A Brief History Timeline
- In 1928, the airport was founded and was originally named San Diego Municipal Airport - Lindbergh Field.
- In 1930, it gained international airport status.
- In 1967, Terminal 1 opened on the south side of the airport.
- On July 11, 1979, Terminal 2 opened.
- The airport was built and operated by the City of San Diego through the sale of municipal bonds to be repaid by the users of the airport.
- In 2003, the name was changed to San Diego International Airport.
- In 2017, a new immigration and customs facility began at Terminal 2 West and was completed in June 2018.
- The next master-planning phase is the Airport Development Plan (ADP) and the completion of its changes is expected not until 2035.
San Diego Airport FAQs
Q. Is San Diego Airport the same as SAN?
A: Yes. while the official name San Diego International Airport, it is commonly referred to as San Diego Airport, Lindbergh Field, and SAN Airport.
Q. How far is the San Diego International Airport from downtown San Diego?
A: San Diego Airport is located 3 miles (4.8 km) northwest of Downtown San Diego, California.
Q. What airlines have a hub in SAN Airport?
A: SAN airport is served by a few national and international airlines, with Alaska Airlines and Southwest Airlines offering the most flights.
Q. Can you sleep at San Diego Airport?
A: Passengers are permitted to sleep in the airport. It remains open 24 hours a day and visitors can stay inside overnight. We also recommend these awesome SAN layover ideas.
Q.What cities can I fly from San Diego?
A: Being a full-service commercial airport, you can fly to most cities around the world directly or via connections. Check out the direct flights page to see where you can fly to directly from the airport.
Is the Shuttle available to check in for a flight
Private transfers are not available from my home, so [more]Nancy 09/20/2020
What type of transportation is best from the airport [more]Lori 02/18/2020
Where to pick up arriving pets at airport
I purchased a puppy from another state which will arr [more]KMA 01/23/2020
Wait times for day before thanksgivingHoliday TSA 11/26/2019