Rio deJaneiro Galeao (GIG) Airport
GIG AIRPORT & FLIGHT STATUS
Rio deJaneiro Galeao GIG Airport Overview
Rio de Janeiro Galeao Jobim International Airport GIG is Brazil's second-busiest Airport (after SaoPaulo Guarulhos). The name of Galeao refers to the close-by beach by that name and Antonio Carlos Jobim is the name of Brazil's famed musician.
The Airport is located on Governador Island, 20 km from the famed city of Rio de Janeiro, and can be reached from the south, north and west of Rio de Janeiro by the these three access routes: Linha Vermelha and Linha Amarela freeways and Avenida Brasil.
With a very long runway and over 17.5 million passengers in 2012, Rio de Janeiro Galeao Airport is hub to Gol and TAM airlines and is served by a host of domestic and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
Galeao Airport can be contacted within the City toll-free at 080 727 1234 or by fax 61 3312 3013.
NOTE: Passengers needing to transfer to Santos Dumont Airport should take the Express Bus 2145 (operated by Real Auto Onibus), which runs via Central Bus Station & downtown every 20 mins, 5:30am-10:30pm. Bus ticket counters are in the arrivals area of both terminal.
The 4-star Luxor Hotel (tel. 021 2468 8998) is located on level 3 of Terminal 1 and offers business services and meeting rooms.
The 3-star Hotel Pousad (tel. 021 3398 3852) is on level 1 of Terminal 1. (A 24-hr hotel reservation desk is on level 3 of Terminal 1.)
A third hotel close to Terminal 2 has recently opened - no name available.
The passenger terminal complex at Rio de Janeiro Galeao Airport consists of two separate semi-circle passenger terminals -T1 & T2. (For more information, please refer to 'Terminal Map' page.)
Parking options at Galeao Airport: (For more information, please refer to 'Airport Parking' page.)
Rental car desks for Avis, Hertz, Budget & Localiza are located in the Arrivals area of Terminal 1.
To get from Galeao Airport your destination, you can rent a car, take a taxi, a shuttle or a bus: It is highly recommended that you stop by at the Rio State Tourism Authority desk and buy your prepaid taxi voucher there, instead of going straight to the taxi stand (or at least make sure that the meter has been cleared before entering the taxi).
1. An hourly airport shuttle bus stops at major hotels and beaches. 'Empresa Real' offers air-conditioned buses into the city and seashore and stops at hotels, taking about 45 minutes for the trip.
2. 'Real Auto Onibus' number 2018 operates an executive bus service, which runs every 30 minutes to: Central Bus Station, Rio's downtown, Santos Dumont Airport, along the shore of the southern part of the city, with the last stop at Alvorada Bus Termnal in Barra da Tijuca. They also operate a more direct route. Bus ticket counters are in the Arrivals area of both terminals.
3. 'Viacao 1001' runs bus 998 to Niteroi.
4. GOL Airlines offers regular free bus transfers for their passengers to the Jacarepagua Airport,located in the Barra da Tijuca area.
Future Airport Developments: As per the Rio Times, in April 2013 the Goverment announced that in September 2013 operating rights of Galealo Airport will be auctioned off to one of the major foreign operators, in order to speed up the improvement projects needed in place prior to the FIFA World Cup opening in June 2014. Infraero with a current 49 percent operating share, will foot the bill for the first round of improvements, involving complete renovations of both terminals, with gate & runway improvements to end year-end 2014, when passenger capacity should reach 43 million passengers a year.
Av. 20 de Janeiro s/n
Ilha do Governador, RJ, 21942-900
- Website for Rio deJaneiro Galeao : http://www.infraero.gov.br/index.php/br/aeroportos/rio-de-janeiro/aeroporto-internacional-do-rio-de-janeiro.html
- Email Address: http://www.infraero.gov.br/index.php/br/ouvidoria.html
- Phone: +55 21 3398 5050
Rio deJaneiro Galeao GIG Services
Terminal Maps and Services
Flying and Airport Help
Airport, Airline & Flying Topics
- Aircraft types: Airbus
- Aircraft types: Boeing
- Aircraft types: McDonnell Douglas
- Airline Hub and Spoke
- Airline Lounge Access
- Airline Seating Insights
- Airport & Flying Terms
- Airport Identification Requirements
- Baggage Check-in Times
- Carry-on Regulations
- Check-in Curbside
- Check-in Kiosks
- Check-in Online
- Check-in Options
- Check-in Times
- Checked Baggage Rules
- Children Flying Alone
- Currency Converter
- Europe Travel Rules
- FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
- First-time Flyer Tips
- Frequent Flyer Overview
- Frequent Flyer Programs
- Getting a US Passport
- Getting Bumped
- Infant Flying Rules & Tips
- Inside the cockpit
- International Travel Help
- International Travel Safety
- Jet Lag Prevention
- Lost and Found
- Lost Luggage
- Luggage Tips
- Missed Flight Connection
- On-line Booking Basics
- Overweight Passenger Policy
- Packing Tips
- Pre-flight Checklist
- Prohibited & Allowed Items
- Security Screening
- Study Abroad Preparation
- Terms Defined: "Non-Stop" vs "Direct"
- Ticket Cancellation Fees
- Ticket Change Fees
- Tips to land the Best Deals On-Line
- Travel Insurance
- Traveling with Kids
- Traveling with Pets
- TSA Guidelines
- Visa & Immunization Issues
- Who owns/operates the airports?
First Time Flyer Help
- Preparing for your Trip
- What to Pack
- Pros/Cons of Checking your Bag
- What can I Check-in or Carry-On?
- Documents to take
- Confirming your flight
- When to Arrive at the Airport
Top 40 US Airports
- Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta ATL Airport
- Chicago O'Hare ORD Airport
- Dallas Fort Worth DFW Airport
- Los Angeles LAX Airport
- Las Vegas McCarran LAS Airport
- Denver DEN Airport
- Houston Intercontinental IAH Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor PHX Airport
- Philadelphia PHL Airport
- Charlotte Douglas CLT Airport
- Detroit Metropolitian DTW Airport
- Minneapolis-St Paul MSP Airport
- Newark Liberty EWR Airport
- Washington Dulles IAD Airport
- Boston Logan BOS Airport
- Salt Lake City SLC Airport
- La Guardia LGA Airport
- New York Kennedy JFK Airport
- Memphis MEM Airport
- Miami MIA Airport
- San Francisco SFO Airport
- Orlando MCO Airport
- Cincinnati N Kentucky CVG Airport
- Seattle Tacoma SEA Airport
- Honolulu HNL Airport
- Baltimore Washington BWI Airport
- Ted Stevens Anchorage ANC Airport
- Chicago Midway MDW Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood FLL Airport
- Lambert St Louis STL Airport
- Washington Reagan National DCA Airport
- Portland PDX Airport
- Tampa TPA Airport
- Cleveland Hopkins CLE Airport
- Raleigh-Durham RDU Airport
- Houston Hobby HOU Airport
- Pittsburgh PIT Airport
- San Diego SAN Airport
- San Antonio SAT Airport
- Nashville BNA Airport
Rio deJaneiro Galeao GIG Airport Update History
- Updated GIG Airport Intro page - Apr 29, 2013
- Updated GIG Airports page - Apr 29, 2013
- Updated GIG Main Terminals page - Apr 29, 2013
- Updated GIG Parking On site page - Feb 24, 2013
- Updated GIG Direct Flights page - Feb 20, 2013