Rio de Janeiro Galeao (GIG) Airport

Rio de Janeiro Galeao GIG Airport Overview

Rio de Janeiro Galeao Jobim International Airport GIG - renamed in August 2014 to 'Tom Jobim International Airport'  with a new logo replacing the Infraero brand with 'RIOgaleao international airport tom jobim' after its new concession holder - is the larger of  two Rio de Janeiro Airports (the other being Santos Dumont) and the second-largest Airport in Brazil (after SaoPaulo Guarulhos). The name of Galeao refers to the close-by beach by that name and Antonio Carlos Jobim is the name of Brazil's famed musician.
Airport operations: While Airport operator Infraero will maintain 49 percent, a joint consortium 'RIOgaealo' owns now the remaining 51 percent with a 24-year concession..

GIG Airport is located on Governador Island, 20 km from the famed city of Rio de Janeiro, and can be reached from the south, north and west of Rio de Janeiro by the these three access routes: Linha Vermelha and Linha Amarela freeways and Avenida Brasil.

With a very long runway and over 17 million flyers served each year, Rio de Janeiro Galeao Airport is hub to Gol and TAM airlines and is served by a host of domestic and international airlines offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.

Galeao Airport can be contacted within the City toll-free at 080 727 1234 or by fax 61 3312 3013.

NOTE: Passengers needing to transfer to Santos Dumont Airport should take Express Bus 2145 (operated by Real Auto Onibus), which runs via Central Bus Station & downtown every 20 mins, 5:30am-10:30pm. Bus ticket counters are in the arrivals area of both  terminal.

On-Airport Hotels:
The 4-star Luxor Hotel (tel. 021 2468 8998) is located on level 3 of Terminal 1 and offers business services and meeting rooms.
The 3-star Hotel Pousad (tel. 021 3398 3852) is on level 1 of Terminal 1.  (A 24-hr hotel reservation desk is on level 3 of Terminal 1.) 
A third hotel close to Terminal 2 has recently opened - no name available.

Rio de Janeiro Galeao Airport has two passenger terminals -T1 & T2.  

Present & Future Airport Developments: Current Airport owners (concessionairs) are Infraero, with a 49 percent operating share, & Grupo Odebrecht & Singapore Group (collectively named 'RIOgaleao') with a current 51 percent share, which will increase by 2016 to a 100 per cent share.
1. In early Aug. 2014 new concession owner RIOgaleao started the following transitional operations: Improving passenger service in both Portuguese & English; reviewing remote arriving/ departing air  transport system; addressing waste collection system; reviewing first aid system; & providing network suppport & IT equipment to expand airport's infrastructure.
3. Thereafter, in 2016, RIOgaleao will take over full operation and invest R2B for Airport infrastructure work - which is to include 47 new aircraft parking spaces, 26 new jet bridges, 68 new check-in desks and 2,640 more parking spaces.



  • Address:
    Av. 20 de Janeiro s/n
    Ilha do Governador, RJ, 21942-570
    Brazil
  • Website for Rio de Janeiro Galeao: http://www.riogaleao.com/en/
  • Phone: +55 21 3004 6050

Book Travel







Twitter
Facebook
Google Plus One