Santiago Arturo Benitez (SCL) Airport
Santiago Arturo Benitez SCL Airport Overview
SCL Airport is located in Pudahuel, a part of the metropolitan region of Santiago -17 miles northwest of city center. It is accessible either via Ruta 68, taking Autopista Vespucio north to the Airport Exit, or via the 6-lane Autopista Constanera Norte, taking the Airport Exit.
With two very long runways and serving over 14M travelers per year, Arturo Benitez Airport is hub for LAN Chile Airlines (with over 90 percent on-time flights) and is served by a number of domestic and international airlines (including Delta & American) offering direct and connecting flights to all points of the globe.
NOTE: United Airlines started non-stop flights to Houston IAH on its Boeing 767-300ER with a 214-passenger capacity.
The on-Airport 5-level Holiday Inn connects internally to both the Domestic and the International areas of the passenger terminal and has its own parking spaces, as well as a conference hall for up to 170 persons.
The new passenger terminal at Santiago Benitez Airport is divided into Domestic (D) and International (I) areas.
At a 2014 year-end meeting called by the Airport Operator, the following past, present & future status of Santiago Airport were under discussion: The Concessionaire considerably increased its staff. Phase 1 works are completed - resulting in better space distribution at circulation areas. Fully operational are new National Check-In secto, & the baggage conveyor system handling up to 2,000 passengers a day. Police International increased its permanent staff by 25 percent - distributed more efficiently according to timely need. Chilean nationals no longer need the form of entry /exit. The national airline staff assisting passengers at peak hours has also been considerably increased and the number of passenger rows will be adjusted to need. Emphasis has been given to a coordinated work force.
Passenger recommendations prior to going through security check:
A. At Home: Try to check-in online & print out your boarding pass, if you can. Check your flight before leaving for the Airport; then check again on arrival there. Note that Airline counters open 3 hours before scheduled international flights, & 2 hours before domestic flights.
For bags to be checked in, use one of the 48 self-service kiosks for your boarding pass.
Avoid wearing clothing with metals (like buttons, etc.).
B. At the Airport: Passenger Drop-off: along the viaduct third level, at doors 5 and 6)
1. Discard of any drinks you hold in your hands; do not wear clothing with metals (buttons, etc.), remove any metal objects from your body.
2. Parents with children must submit documentation (birth certificates, family book, notary permit)
3. Your carry-on bag cannot include prohibited items - see DGAC page at: dgac.cl)
4. U.S. & Europe - bound travelers note: At home, place your liquids in a transparent plastic bag (up to 100 ml of liquid - perfume, creams, aersols, gels), at arrivals at the Terminal - take it out before getting to security check. (Prescription drugs, baby food /juice, or liquids over 100 ml need to be in your checked bags).
5. Prepare to pass the security checkpoint - discard of any hot or cold drink in your hands.
6. Remove any metals from your body or clothes before going through the screener.
Present and future Airport developments: 1. The current Terminal is undergoing a US $70M expansion project over a 7,700 sq.meters - completion of which is expected by 2015.
2. Construction starts in 2015 on a new 200,000 sq.meter terminal with two wings for international flights & alternating international & domestic flights - tentatively scheduled for 2018.
79 Correo Aeropuerto Internacional .
- Website for Santiago Arturo Benitez: http://www.aeropuertosantiago.cl/english/
- Contact: http://www.aeropuertosantiago.cl/english//contact/index.php
- Phone: +56 2 690 1700