Terminal Gate Connection
Connecting flight? Use this tool to help you get between terminals.
Walk Time: min
Shuttle Route min
Shuttle Time: min
Auckland Airport ( AKL ) Terminal Map # Fast food, restaurants, stores, cafes, bars
Auckland Aiport has two passenger terminals - the Domestic Terminal on Andrew McKee Avenue and the International Terminal on Ray Emery Drive, linked together by an inter-terminal open-air walkway (follow blue & white line), a 10-minute walk, and by a free inter-terminal bus which runs every 15 minutes, 5am-10:30pm.
The Airport's extensive retail renovations has earned the Airport an Excellence Award in Retail Property.
International arrivals offers a transit & transfer point, border agencies, tax & duty-free shop, currency exchange, Information desk, baggage claim area, and an international transfers & transit area. International Arrivals not transferring /or tansferring:
- not transferring to another flight need to present at the Immigration counter return ticket and evidence of sufficient funds while spending time in New Zealand. Whether you will need to show a visa depends on your country (open: immigration.gov.nz/). Thereafter proceed to collect your bags, exit to where your passenger arrival card will be checked, and then pass through Customs (toll-free phone 0800 428 786; or +64 8 300 5399) & quarantine inspection. If transferring thereafter to another domestic or internatinal flight, note:
- Transferring from an international to a domestic flight: (Whe making airline reservations, allow for a three hours transfer). Go to the domestic transfer desk after collecting your bags and clearing Customs at the ground level of the International terminal - bags will only be re-checked in up to 1 hr prior to domestic departure. For bags exceeding 20 kg or carry-on exceeding 7 kg, extra charges apply. Look at Airport map in the Terminal for transfer.
- Transferring from an international to another international flight: Proceed to the International Transfer screening point (next to arrival gate 2), go through security check, then to the transfer desk on level 2 (see airport maps inside the terminal) whereupon you have access to all departure facilities, including showers & duty-free shops, and to your connecting gate.
Picking up/ dropping off a passenger at the Airport: Opposite Check-in of the International Terminal, at Rey Emery Drive, is a marked zone.
Tourist nformation: The i-Site information center is located on the ground level (Arrivals). Open daily, 6am-10pm. Tel. +64 9 365 9925 / fax 256 8942; e-mail: email@example.com
- Currently work on the terminal extension & integrating both terminals into one Integrated Terminal is ongoing (see NOTE* below).
- Recently, 9 SmartGates of the latest technology were installed featuring passport & emigration checks. Departing passengers scan passport & step up to biometric scanner. 29 new gates will be completed between year-end 2016 and summer 2017).
The International Terminal: To accommodate the growing amount of Asian passengers, multi-language Flight Information boards have been installed, and the International Terminal's directional signs now include Chinese text. Mandarin-speaking trained volunteers are making the terminal round to assist passengers.
- The ground level with doors 2 - 8 (west to east and Doors 1 & 11 on opposite ends) is for arrivals & check-in, with check-in Zones A through E and rental car desks, currency exchange, ATM machine, baggage service, travel agent & Visitor center, food & drink establishments & some shops;
- Level 1 houses the newly opened departure retail space offering brand-name shopping, food & drink establishments both in pre- and post-securiy areas (with the landside food court adding more eateries & food choices), along with ATMs, chapel/ Muslim prayer room, smoking area, first aid station, free showers, internet service (free for 30 mins), mailbox and Information counter, as well as access to the Pier A.
- Pier A - (a) with gates 1-16, 16A,16B (straight ahead; (b) gates 1 & 3 require lift from the pier's center), and (c) gates 15-16 are to the right of the pier (a 1-minute walk). At the end of Pier A is the newly opened Gate 10 with dual boarding capability (able to support larger aircraft).
The new Emirates Lounge accommodates 220 persons and offers exceptional luxury services.
The new Emperor Lounge received recently both internatioal recognition in global survey - and a 'Highly Commended' award.
New duty-free retailers Aer Rianta International (trading as 'The Loop Duty Free') and LS Travel Retail Pacific (trading as 'Aelia Duty Free' will enhance paseger shopping experience.
Completed/ soon to be completed work on the Terminal expansion & upgrade projects: In Dec. 2016 the reconfigured landside 'farewell' area, expanded security screening & processing area, and first half of the two duty-free shops. By May 2017: the remaining half of the two anchor duty-free shops, and first half of new passenger lounge & retail hub.
The Domestic Terminal recently completed its first phase of renovation. Currently, it houses near doors 2 & 3 Air New Zealand's check-in counters and near doors 7/8 JetStar check-in counters. After security check you get to gates 22-33 & the Koru Lounge, as well as to gates 20-21 and the Akarana Lounge, and to gates 34-48 at opposite side.
Major rental car agency counters are located in the BusinessExpress garage, reached by overhead walkway.
Services and amenities include Travelex, Visitor Center, the Akarana Lounge, Koru Valet Parking, & Skyway Valet parking, as well as food & drink and retail concessions. The new conference center is near the Air New Zealand check-in counter, offering four meeting rooms of varying capacities & equipment, with full catering available (contact the function coordinator at 2568924).
* NOTE: Construction Progress of converting the two terminals into one Integrated Terminal: Phase 1 construction - a 90-meter extension of the international baggage hall with an additional baggage belt - has been completed. Phase 2, the International Departure area expansion, is to be completed by late 2017. Construction phases thereafter continue into 2025.